F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Engine - 2017 F Type R

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 04:33 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
Is this the Jaguar mechanic who has stated the F Type has a bad oil pan design? If so that surely is basis for Jaguar to pay out - they have admitted the car has a bad design?

How can the dealership on one hand admit there is a fault in the design of the oil pan and on the other say the tune caused the failure?
Hi Ek,

The dealership didn't open the engine. Their analysis was that "Metal Shaving on Oil Pan" and after they see that they blamed it on the tune because I have a recent visit at 2,000 miles and they noticed the "NON-OEM Calibration" message on the 2,000 miles visit.

A third party mechanic opened the engine for me as I want to have a second opinion about it.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (07-04-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
Any pics? Also curious, did it pump the all the oil up top, suck air and starve the mains or restrict the flow to the bottom end and starve the mains?
No pics yet. I'll try to get some tomorrow. Thank you.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

It sounds like it's a personal mechanic.

The AJ133 is a pretty robust engine that's used since 2009 in it's current 5.0L capacity in basically every JLR product line. I cant remember seeing any issues about the oil pan design being faulty?

SinF (07-04-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunPA

The AJ133 is a pretty robust engine that's used since 2009 in it's current 5.0L capacity in basically every JLR product line. I cant remember seeing any issues about the oil pan design being faulty?
Hi Shaun,

Yes, its a third party Jaguar Mechanic.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 337 Likes on 212 Posts

Without insinuating that there is a design fault with the oil pan in the F-type 5.0L, but did they not modify the oil pan design when they introduced the awd F-type V8?
​​​​​

Old 06-29-2017, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,435 Likes on 1,941 Posts

So why didn't the tuning company warrant the engine ? It is they who modified it so why no warranty from them ?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:12 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

My 5 cents is as I have said before. You modify the engine, it breaks, do not expect warranty coverage. Go ahead and argue that your mods were not the cause but I am pleased to see the manufacturer refuse warranty coverage or we would all be paying more to buy the cars initially.
I had a car that I significantly modified and I used a tuner that provided a warranty with his work, Lingenfelter. Maybe my mod cost more than a shade tree mechanic would have charged, but I prefer honesty.

Larry

Old 06-29-2017, 05:17 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

what conditions were you driving in when the motor went?

what actual damage was done to the motor?

Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Sorry but its unlikely to be an oil pan issue otherwise there would be loads of failures. Remember, this engine only hit 4k miles so if its a design issue , then its very serious and would probably affect every engine. The thing that bothers me is that after buying a new car, you felt the need to mess about with it to get more power? lesson is to buy what you want right from the start , the manufacturers are clear about modifications voiding warranty's

Old 06-29-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 157 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
Hi Ek,

This is based from my mechanic. I'm no mechanic. I'm just relaying whatever information I have.

Thanks.
Sounds like your "mechanic" may be the same one that did your tune as well, right? Sounds more like he is trying to defend himself from getting sued.

You KNOWINGLY voided your warranty when you put the tune on and ... paid the price.

Hopefully, you have learned your rather expensive lesson.

Last edited by ndabunka; 06-29-2017 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
I think you just answered his question about what the other side of the story was...
Yup. Talk about burning your bridges........

The following 2 users liked this post by Mikey:
Datsports (07-01-2017), mbelanger (07-05-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Sounds like your "mechanic" may be the same one that did your tune as well, right? Sounds more like he is trying to defend himself from getting sued.

You KNOWLING voided your warranty when you put the tune on and ... paid the price.

Hopefully, you have learned your rather expensive lesson.
Speculation after speculation..the tuner is not the same as my mechanic.

Thanks.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey
Yup. Talk about burning your bridges........
If you're nice to people they will be nice you right? Right grandpa? You're older than me so I'm showing you respect by calling you "GRANDPA". Grandpa.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by phanc60844
Sorry but its unlikely to be an oil pan issue otherwise there would be loads of failures. Remember, this engine only hit 4k miles so if its a design issue , then its very serious and would probably affect every engine. The thing that bothers me is that after buying a new car, you felt the need to mess about with it to get more power? lesson is to buy what you want right from the start , the manufacturers are clear about modifications voiding warranty's
By saying its not the oil pan, can you please tell me if you're a mechanic? Thank you.

Old 06-29-2017, 06:34 PM

what conditions were you driving in when the motor went?

what actual damage was done to the motor?
Gloomy weather..I don't redline this car. But at that time I was shifting at 4000-5000rpm

Old 06-29-2017, 06:37 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default I have the answer ....

Originally Posted by Fraser Mitchell
So why didn't the tuning company warrant the engine ? It is they who modified it so why no warranty from them ?

Because DINAN did not do the software installation. To my knowledge, No one who provides software mods for any car will offer a warrenty/gaurentee, other than DINAN. Your rolling the dice with these Indy providers.

JVIII (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Sorry that you have had these problems.

When I tune or modify a cars engine I've done it knowing that I may need to buy a new engine or rebuild and as long as I can afford it I can move ahead.

I've heard some discussions at my dealer that supports an approach of trying to carefully determine the actual root cause of the breakdown and not snap so quickly to blaming the tune. And this dealer has tuned cars coming in for service at times. Anyway, good luck and possibly an expert examination and second opinion will prove useful.
Lawrence

JVIII (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mulmur
Sorry that you have had these problems.

When I tune or modify a cars engine I've done it knowing that I may need to buy a new engine or rebuild and as long as I can afford it I can move ahead.

I've heard some discussions at my dealer that supports an approach of trying to carefully determine the actual root cause of the breakdown and not snap so quickly to blaming the tune. And this dealer has tuned cars coming in for service at times. Anyway, good luck and possibly an expert examination and second opinion will prove useful.
Lawrence
Thanks Lawrence! I already have a backup plan and yes it is an expensive lesson but hey we learn from our life lessons. I appreciate you my man.

Old 06-29-2017, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

I can understand your sour taste for Jaguar at the moment but in all honesty I don't think they are any worse than the other makes, like Audi and BMW who also conveniently turn blind eyes to a "known problem" - check out Audi forums for "S4 V8 4.2 timing chain guides" and you'll see what I mean. I actually find Jaguar at least easier to contact and get feedback from.

It may be that you were just unlucky getting your engine "mod" before an inherent problem would have shown anyway. If something is going to wrong it's likely to be early in its life or in the senior years. Maybe an assembly compromise, could have been anything from a poorly installed oil filter (I assume you were running on the original fill) causing oil starvation. I'm not a subscriber to the notion that if manufacturers had to cover claims from mods that our cars would cost us more. I don't believe the percentage of Jaguar modders would actually move the balance sheet that much.

You say you have other plans in hand and if I were you I would be looking at getting the advice of a forensic engineer or whatever they might be called who could provide better background on the root cause of the engine failure and what bearing (no pun intended) any mods would have had. You might also want to reach out to Jaguar UK, sometimes the USA arm can get a tap on the hand from the real parent company (I had the same with Audi USA after contacting Audi Ag).

Hopefully some kind of happy ending will come...

Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
By saying its not the oil pan, can you please tell me if you're a mechanic? Thank you.
I'm an automotive engineer and i'll tell you its not the oil pan. I feel like that trumps being a mechanic. I'll also tell you not to trust a mechanic who tells you to change your oil every 3k; because that is clearly false. That independent mechanic certainly did not design/test this faulty oil pan, and probably knows nothing about it.

The following 6 users liked this post by Stohlen:
mbelanger (07-05-2017), PolkNole (07-02-2017), Queen and Country (07-20-2017), rtcosic (07-27-2017), Tango Nevada (07-24-2017), XxMerlinxX (09-12-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)