F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an extended warranty today...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 08:01 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bought an extended warranty today...

Normally, I'm not an extended warranty kind of guy. They're iffy on value and the whole industry is rife with scams. Still, many years ago on a 911 one paid off for me in a big way, and I can already see that the F-Type is a keeper. So I wanted to buy some peace of mind for my premium sports car...

I got a warranty offered by Jaguar itself. The administrator is United Service Protection Corp (actually Assurant, Inc) with an underlying insurance policy from American Bankers Insurance Company.

It's a 7 year/100K term. There's a $100 deductible, which is waived if the work is done at *any* Jaguar dealer. It's an exclusionary policy with a fairly typical list of excluded items (mostly things subject to wear and tear). It's transferable and there's a pro-rated refund if I sell the car earlier than the full term.

The dealer also offered me third-party ones from National Warranty Corp, and Fidelity Warranty Services. But then the one from National turned out to be a no-go as they consider the F-Type a "performance vehicle" and won't issue on it. The Fidelity one seemed good but was a bit more expensive for things I don't need (like rental cars, hotel stay coverage in event of breakdown).

I won't divulge the exact price but can give more details in PM.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 358 Posts

I was under the impression after asking 2 different Jaguar dealers that there were no extended factory Jaguar Warranties available (other than CPO cars), only 3rd party warranties.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:59 AM

I believe this is new. It's known as the "Jaguar Land Rover Vehicle Protection Plan".

It's still administered by a third party warranty company, however.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:52 PM

Scans of the declarations page, showing the JLR emblems.

Attached Thumbnails Bought an extended warranty today...-warranty.jpg   Bought an extended warranty today...-warranty2.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015, 07:16 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Normally, I'm not an extended warranty kind of guy. They're iffy on value and the whole industry is rife with scams. Still, many years ago on a 911 one paid off for me in a big way, and I can already see that the F-Type is a keeper. So I wanted to buy some peace of mind for my premium sports car...

I got a warranty offered by Jaguar itself. The administrator is United Service Protection Corp (actually Assurant, Inc) with an underlying insurance policy from American Bankers Insurance Company.

It's a 7 year/100K term. There's a $100 deductible, which is waived if the work is done at *any* Jaguar dealer. It's an exclusionary policy with a fairly typical list of excluded items (mostly things subject to wear and tear). It's transferable and there's a pro-rated refund if I sell the car earlier than the full term.

The dealer also offered me third-party ones from National Warranty Corp, and Fidelity Warranty Services. But then the one from National turned out to be a no-go as they consider the F-Type a "performance vehicle" and won't issue on it. The Fidelity one seemed good but was a bit more expensive for things I don't need (like rental cars, hotel stay coverage in event of breakdown).

I won't divulge the exact price but can give more details in PM.
Have you had an opportunity to use your extended plan yet? I suspect not but just wanted to ask. My dealer is offering a VSC (Vehicle Service Contract) which sounds 3rd party to me. Please PM your price and terms to me. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 333 Likes on 231 Posts

I think we're all adults here so you can share it with us...what's something like this cost?

The following users liked this post:
JgaXkr (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

On his profile there's a message that indicates he paid ~$3500 for 84mo/100K miles.

The following 3 users liked this post by mshedden:
ApolloBeachRetiree (02-14-2015), buickfunnycar.com (02-14-2015), JgaXkr (02-14-2015)

Trending Topics

Old 02-14-2015, 12:06 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

I don't normally think extended warranties etc are good value but for a car like this which you plan to keep I think it most probably is. There's a lot that can go wrong, and while I'm broadly confident about the longevity of the mechanicals, I'm not nearly as confident about the electricals.

The one thing I will say is that there is a lot of margin in these for the dealers so negotiate hard. You can get these for a lot less than retail. In the past year I bought my son a Nissan Altima and the selling dealer wanted 2500 for Nissan's own 100,000 mile extended warranty. Another local Nissan dealer sold me the exact same Nissan plan to me same day for 1050, all handed via email.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
On his profile there's a message that indicates he paid ~$3500 for 84mo/100K miles.
That's a fairly competitive price compared to all other makes I've priced for that length of coverage. Of course, that just provides 36 months/50K miles extra on top of the factory warranty.

I've only purchased one extended warranty in the past, but I don't tend to keep cars past 4 years. The one I did purchase was on an '06 C6 Z06, and it helped me get a premium price when I sold it because I offered it with the car rather than canceling it. The 2nd owner scored big when the LS7 ate a valve at about 38K miles right after factory warranty expiration. He got a brand new engine from GM for nothing.

Old 02-14-2015, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

AAA offers very competitive and reliable extended warranty plans I believe through national assurance. The platinum plan paid for itself handily when I was still sorting out electronic issues with my MINI.

Old 02-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Since I bought mine as a 12 month old ex Jaguar company car I made them throw in the warranty for three years as part of the deal. So I have two years factory remaining and three years extended.

Old 02-14-2015, 04:02 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
Since I bought mine as a 12 month old ex Jaguar company car I made them throw in the warranty for three years as part of the deal. So I have two years factory remaining and three years extended.
Smart move, AnD3rew.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:38 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts
Default cost of 5 year warranty

Cost of the 5 year warranty of the f type v8 to the dealer is about $2200. the dealer was trying to sell it to me for 4k, but I negotiated for it to be thrown in and I saw how much it costs them. just thought I'd share this info to help others in future negotiations.

ApolloBeachRetiree (02-15-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I got the 7 years 100,00 mile warranty as well. I paid 2799 plus I paid 1899 for a five year warranty on the rims and tires. The 20 inch rims I paid up for are very expensive to replace. It was hard for me to pull the trigger on the rims and tires but I am glad I did. A month ago I hit a curb, the dumbass that I am and it was covered no questions asked. The carrier is CNA a very big Co. Because our tires are "Z" rated, the tire ins co's get concerned if you hit a curb that if they don't replace the tires and you have a blow out at 160 mph, we'll sue them even though the tires looked fine they replaced them anyway. $1500 boo boo cost me nothing.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Tar1018
I got the 7 years 100,00 mile warranty as well. I paid 2799 plus I paid 1899 for a five year warranty on the rims and tires. The 20 inch rims I paid up for are very expensive to replace. It was hard for me to pull the trigger on the rims and tires but I am glad I did. A month ago I hit a curb, the dumbass that I am and it was covered no questions asked. The carrier is CNA a very big Co. Because our tires are "Z" rated, the tire ins co's get concerned if you hit a curb that if they don't replace the tires and you have a blow out at 160 mph, we'll sue them even though the tires looked fine they replaced them anyway. $1500 boo boo cost me nothing.
Technically, it cost you $1899 for that boo boo.. You just need a few more to make the investment worth it.

ndabunka (03-12-2018)
Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member

Let's make certain everyone is talking apples vs oranges. I suspect the 7 year, 100,000 mile policy is coverage only for the last 3 years and 50,000 miles. I believe one or more of the other quotes posted have been talking about extended time frames and distances.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Let's make certain everyone is talking apples vs oranges. I suspect the 7 year, 100,000 mile policy is coverage only for the last 3 years and 50,000 miles. I believe one or more of the other quotes posted have been talking about extended time frames and distances.
That's the way all factory extended warranties are structured. They are just an extension of the base warranty, applied to the vehicle's in-service age or total mileage, whichever comes first.

Once the factory warranty expires, they continue coverage until the vehicle hits one of the specified limits for the policy you purchased.

Old 02-15-2015, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Exactly. Some folks have been discussing aftermarket warranties. A 5 year warranty could be effective for five years or just one year. We need to be clear which it is when comparing pricing.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Interesting discussion. I guess it comes down to risk (the price paid for the coverage) vs. the reward (getting reimbursed for "x"). Less, of course, premium paid.

Commodities 101:

Buying premium is limited risk but a decaying option whereas selling premium (a.k.a "writing") is unlimited risk but where decaying time is an advantage. As a professional I almost never buy premium unless I'm seeking relatively quick profits - as I said, time works against the buyer - and, besides, I've never been big on insurance.

Having said that, I do have AAA where one tow - or other service - can easily (and has) paid for the entire [yearly] premium. And as other Forums members have pointed out, one "x" can easily cover the cost of the premium paid so I guess it comes down to "are you feeling lucky?".

So in the end, and if one intends to keep the car - in this case the F-Type (which I suspect I will be keeping for many years) - have we concluded that it makes sense getting an extended warranty or not?

I am not inclined to do so - as witnessed by my confusing/lengthy post - but could be convinced otherwise if someone can tip the scales in one direction (options = premium +/- time + [price] direction).

Old 02-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Interesting discussion. I guess it comes down to risk (the price paid for the coverage) vs. the reward (getting reimbursed for "x"). Less, of course, premium paid.

Commodities 101:

Buying premium is limited risk but a decaying option whereas selling premium (a.k.a "writing") is unlimited risk but where decaying time is an advantage. As a professional I almost never buy premium unless I'm seeking relatively quick profits - as I said, time works against the buyer - and, besides, I've never been big on insurance.

Having said that, I do have AAA where one tow - or other service - can easily (and has) paid for the entire [yearly] premium. And as other Forums members have pointed out, one "x" can easily cover the cost of the premium paid so I guess it comes down to "are you feeling lucky?".

So in the end, and if one intends to keep the car - in this case the F-Type (which I suspect I will be keeping for many years) - have we concluded that it makes sense getting an extended warranty or not?

I am not inclined to do so - as witnessed by my confusing/lengthy post - but could be convinced otherwise if someone can tip the scales in one direction (options = premium +/- time + [price] direction).
It's really pretty simple . . . do you feel lucky, and are you willing to take the risk? Generally, the odds are greatly in your favor to pass on one of these because the type of catastrophic failures (e.g. engine failure) that would more than pay back the cost of the premium are rare. Obviously, that's why the underwriters of these policies enjoy a very healthy rate of return.

Quick Reply: Bought an extended warranty today...