Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought an extended warranty today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's really pretty simple . . . do you feel lucky, and are you willing to take the risk? Generally, the odds are greatly in your favor to pass on one of these because the type of catastrophic failures (e.g. engine failure) that would more than pay back the cost of the premium are rare. Obviously, that's why the underwriters of these policies enjoy a very healthy rate of return.
Indeed, the insurance business is a lucrative one...for just such reasons. (And, we are [all] lucky to be driving - or in the case of our friend Lance, soon to be - F-Types).

Old 02-15-2015, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

In my case, in the only instance I purchased an extended warranty, it did pay off for me, and I never actually used it. In my case, the cost of the premium was likely more than paid back because the purchaser clearly communicated he wouldn't have purchased it without and certainly not at my price. Amazingly, he did lose the engine a year or so later, and as I said above, had it replaced at no charge.

It is a significant incentive for a lot of people in the market for used cars and does often enhance resale value from a private buyer.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by lhoboy
Let's make certain everyone is talking apples vs oranges. I suspect the 7 year, 100,000 mile policy is coverage only for the last 3 years and 50,000 miles. I believe one or more of the other quotes posted have been talking about extended time frames and distances.
This is true. Since I put about 16000 miles on a car every year I thought it was worth the money since I am going to keep this car long term. I'm not usually an extended warrantee kind of guy but at $700 a year for 4 years seems reasonable to me if something needs replacing. It's most likely a matter of time before I nick a rim again.

Old 02-16-2015, 12:32 PM
Received 227 Likes on 172 Posts

Jaguar has made huge leaps (did you see what I did there) with quality but I'm not nearly as confident as I'd like to be about the long term reliability of the car, in particular the electrical systems. For those who plan to keep these cars long term, I do think the extended warranty would be well worth it and something you're quite likely to have to call on at some point as our cars age.

We haven't got any long term data on these cars yet, the oldest are only a couple of years old, but in time we're going to see more and more posts on the forum discussing component failure on our cars as they grow old.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:12 AM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Yah, I'd get the extended warranty. Especially if it's under 3k. I'd understand passing it up on Honda or Toyota. I'd even consider leaving it out on a Porsche, but not on a Jag. The pretty ones are always high maintenance

Old 02-18-2015, 04:06 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I also bought the extended warranty - Jaguar VPP - 72 month/70,000 miles for $2016.25 plus tax. I'm in Florida so extended warranties are treated as "insurance policies" and are government regulated - therefore, no negotiating.

We won't use the Jag as an everyday driver and we do not expect to exceed the mileage limit of the VPP.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty - Jaguar

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Scans of the declarations page, showing the JLR emblems.
Hi, how can I PM you to get an estimate on the price for the extended warranty? Also, do you still like this warranty program. Thanks

Old 03-08-2018, 12:05 PM
Smile Jaguar - Extended Warranty

Originally Posted by tai4de2
Normally, I'm not an extended warranty kind of guy. They're iffy on value and the whole industry is rife with scams. Still, many years ago on a 911 one paid off for me in a big way, and I can already see that the F-Type is a keeper. So I wanted to buy some peace of mind for my premium sports car...

I got a warranty offered by Jaguar itself. The administrator is United Service Protection Corp (actually Assurant, Inc) with an underlying insurance policy from American Bankers Insurance Company.

It's a 7 year/100K term. There's a $100 deductible, which is waived if the work is done at *any* Jaguar dealer. It's an exclusionary policy with a fairly typical list of excluded items (mostly things subject to wear and tear). It's transferable and there's a pro-rated refund if I sell the car earlier than the full term.

The dealer also offered me third-party ones from National Warranty Corp, and Fidelity Warranty Services. But then the one from National turned out to be a no-go as they consider the F-Type a "performance vehicle" and won't issue on it. The Fidelity one seemed good but was a bit more expensive for things I don't need (like rental cars, hotel stay coverage in event of breakdown).

I won't divulge the exact price but can give more details in PM.
Hi, how can I PM you to get an estimate on the price for the extended warranty? Also, do you still like this warranty program. Thanks (Kind of new to posting, I sent this to someone else on your reply list. Here goes, can you help me out with this one?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

The OP, tai4de2, paid $3,500 for his 7 yr/100K mi extended warranty policy. As some have pointed out on this thread, that’s 7 years TOTAL and 100K mi TOTAL, not 7 years and 100K mi beyond the original factory warranty. And since his original warranty was for 4 yr/50K mi, his $3,500 got him additional 3 years or 50K mi of coverage.

I have a MY 2016 with an original factory warranty of 5 yr/60K mi. So his policy would only give me an additional 2 years or 40K miles, i.e. not much for the price.

My questions:

1. Are these parameters (total years, total mileage) standard and carved in stone, or can different parameters be negotiated to meet individual needs?

Since I only drive mine around 6K mi/yr, I’ll hit 5 years long before 60K miles. So at decision time, additional years—at least 3, I’d say—will be more important than additional miles. A good policy for me would probably be something like 8 or 9 yr/60K mi (= 3 or 4 additional years, and zero miles beyond the original factory warranty). So...

2. When pricing their extended warranties (3rd party or not), does JLR take into account a driver’s low mileage? Seems like they should, given that break-down is much more a function of mileage than of time. Has anyone ever heard of or purchased an extended warranty that just extends time, with NO miles beyond the original factory warranty (or something close to that)?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:11 PM
Received 150 Likes on 104 Posts

I am assuming extended warranties wont cover tuned cars powertrain?

Old 03-08-2018, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I am assuming extended warranties wont cover tuned cars powertrain?
I never had an issue getting paid out with the extended warranty on my highly tuned MINI.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:51 PM

Thanks