F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy back Option/compensation

Old 11-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buy back Option/compensation

Hi all
Has anyone managed to successfully execute buyback option from Jaguar for F Type? Or substantial compensation as the result of Emission/performance issues or any other issues?
Thanks

Old 11-19-2017, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Are you referring to Lemon Law buybacks?

Old 11-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Yes, I am. Thanks

Old 11-20-2017, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

There are a couple of active/unresolved threads here on this subject:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...ssages-190827/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...vation-191488/

...but neither seems to have reported on the final outcome/results as of yet.

I have seen many other threads in that the owners were unsuccessful in this regard. However I have also seen a few used cars for sale that have been branded as "Lemon Law" buybacks, so it does happen.

The following users liked this post:
550R (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 550R
Hi all
Has anyone managed to successfully execute buyback option from Jaguar for F Type? Or substantial compensation as the result of Emission/performance issues or any other issues?
Thanks
Please clarify your question regarding "emmissions/performance" as neither of those things are viable within a buy back solution. Now, if you have a flawed exhaust & Jaguar has failed to successfully replace or repair it after 3 visits then that is a different animal and would likely qualify.

The following users liked this post:
550R (11-20-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 04:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Any resolution with this car?

Old 11-20-2017, 04:48 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,062 Likes on 1,368 Posts

This thread was started less than 24 hours ago, so probably not.

The following 3 users liked this post by DJS:
550R (11-20-2017), Don1954 (11-21-2017), sts-v (11-22-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Thank you for your reply. Yes, the exhaust noise (cracks and pops) have been muted/gone. Jag attempted to fix the issue 3 times with no luck and informed me that they can't fix it. Jaguar informed me that my vehicle was modified as per the requirements of the government. They also say as the manufacturer they reserve the right to make changes to specifications of their vehicles when necessary as per their warranty manual.
basically I am trying to find out what is the best option.

Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Please clarify your question regarding "emmissions/performance" as neither of those things are viable within a buy back solution. Now, if you have a flawed exhaust & Jaguar has failed to successfully replace or repair it after 3 visits then that is a different animal and would likely qualify.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the exhaust noise (cracks and pops) have been muted/gone. Jag attempted to fix the issue 3 times with no luck and informed me that they can't fix it. Jaguar informed me that my vehicle was modified as per the requirements of the government. They also say as the manufacturer they reserve the right to make changes to specifications of their vehicles when necessary as per their warranty manual.
basically I am trying to find out what is the best option.
Ranger Rover HSE
Porsche 911 Carrera 4S
BMW 330D M sport Wagon
1979 Mini 1100 Special

Old 11-20-2017, 07:03 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Think you are going to struggle unless you can prove the car is faulty

Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 550R
Thank you for your reply. Yes, the exhaust noise (cracks and pops) have been muted/gone. Jag attempted to fix the issue 3 times with no luck and informed me that they can't fix it. Jaguar informed me that my vehicle was modified as per the requirements of the government. They also say as the manufacturer they reserve the right to make changes to specifications of their vehicles when necessary as per their warranty manual. Basically I am trying to find out what is the best option.
Are you saying that you no longer like the crackles and pops or are you saying that the cracks and pops have "gone away" due to some modification the dealership performed against your wishes perhaps? Tell us more about the history of your issue.

I am not a lawyer nor do I attempt to play one on the internet but common sense would indicate that you don't understand legal aspects you are inquiring about. You have a number of problems with your statement & issue:
  1. Your signature shows a 2015 model. Did you buy it used? If so, lemon laws do not apply as you did not buy it from the manufacturer.
  2. If you bought it new, you would be hard pressed to explain why you waited 2 years to make a claim
  3. The exhaust is designed to pop and crackle. If it does, it is working as designed. If it does not pop or crackle then it may be possible that the dealership put an exhaust on that does not have the values that allow the ability to open and close the exhaust note.

Your only real options may be:
  • Sell the car on the open market yourself
  • Have as auto broker take it to an auction to sell it on your behalf.
  • Trade it in on a Tesla or other vehicle with a quieter engine if that is your desire
  • Alternatively, if making it pop & crackle is your desire than there are 3rd-party aftermarket system with the valves that can be installed but that may void any warranty as well so take that into consideration should you decide to go that direction

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-20-2017 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

No, he is complaining that the crackles and pops have now gone, possibly since a software update. As it’s not exactly affecting the operation of the vehicle that’s going to be tricky to slide through a lemon law...but I only know how to spell lawyer ;-)

Old 11-20-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

I think you have it back to front bunka, the OP doesn't want quiet he wants the noise he used to have back again, the crackles and pops.
Just an idea from left field, but will a VAP tune with or without pulley(s) bring back the snap crackle and pop?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I think you have it back to front bunka, the OP doesn't want quiet he wants the noise he used to have back again, the crackles and pops.
Just an idea from left field, but will a VAP tune with or without pulley(s) bring back the snap crackle and pop?
Yep, I edited the original post.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Lots of discussion of this on another thread. Wasn't their a Jaguar patch/fix to reinstate the pops and crackles after the software upgrade had deleted them?

Old 11-20-2017, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Lots of discussion of this on another thread. Wasn't their a Jaguar patch/fix to reinstate the pops and crackles after the software upgrade had deleted them?
Yes there was, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have fixed his car, and his dealer is maintaining that the car is "working as designed"

Old 11-20-2017, 08:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ek993
Yes there was, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have fixed his car, and his dealer is maintaining that the car is "working as designed"
Based on the details I saw about the software "patches" in the F-Pace forum it would not surprise me to learn that his Jaguar dealer may not even be aware that they did not successfully complete the software upgrade. Numerous dealers had thought they completed upgrades to the audio system yet when investigated it turned out that they were leaving the code at the earlier version. Those same dealers may also be "technically challenged" on the F-Type software patches as well, right?

He could try taking the car to another dealer and tell them the issue and that he believes that his current dealer may have failed to have correctly applied the "correction" patch.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
Based on the details I saw about the software "patches" in the F-Pace forum it would not surprise me to learn that his Jaguar dealer may not even be aware that they did not successfully complete the software upgrade. Numerous dealers had thought they completed upgrades to the audio system yet when investigated it turned out that they were leaving the code at the earlier version. Those same dealers may also be "technically challenged" on the F-Type software patches as well, right?

He could try taking the car to another dealer and tell them the issue and that he believes that his current dealer may have failed to have correctly applied the "correction" patch.
That's pretty much what I have been thinking. There are certain pre conditions that have to be met for the patch to apply - a specific version of the SDD tool for example. I think that was the issue with the first K309 update I had, the dealer was using an older SDD version. When they applied the patch they had just moved into a new location with all new workshop equipment, and presumably an updated SDD.

Dealers are now having to contend with being adept at technology and software rather than just spanners and more traditional mechanical skills, and I am not sure they are that well equipped to do so.

OP - have you considered taking it to another dealer, and asking them to apply the JTB fix?

Old 11-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by ek993
That's pretty much what I have been thinking. There are certain pre conditions that have to be met for the patch to apply - a specific version of the SDD tool for example. I think that was the issue with the first K309 update I had, the dealer was using an older SDD version. When they applied the patch they had just moved into a new location with all new workshop equipment, and presumably an updated SDD.

Dealers are now having to contend with being adept at technology and software rather than just spanners and more traditional mechanical skills, and I am not sure they are that well equipped to do so.

OP - have you considered taking it to another dealer, and asking them to apply the JTB fix?

Two different dealers tried to solve the issue with JTB 495 update, no luck. Jag also informed me that they have done everything they could and this is related to Government Emission mandate. What I did notice when I had a closer look at my car's service records, the car was updated with K309 once in 2016 and then again in 2017. I am not sure if this is standard procedure after every service!

Old 11-22-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had quiet exhaust for a while, it turned out to be bad/loose connector. Just because K309 exists, doesn't mean that it is necessary the issue in your case.

Search this Thread