F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Capability to achieve 60.000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Capability to achieve 60.000 miles?

Hello,

New guyhere. I have been reading the forum for a while and I am opening this post toask for your feedback as users of this car.

We bought aBoxster S in 2007 and we have done 105.000km (65.000 miles) over the last 8years. During these years we have enjoyed several trips to the Alps, Italy,France, long weekends driving to visit places, etc. I have to say that noissues at all in the car; apart from scheduled maintenance, tires/brakes replacement,the only thing we had to repair were the bearings in the rear wheels.

We havedecided now to change it for something newer. The obvious option is a 911 2S convertible but I have the feeling Iwant something else; the 911 is a blast but it lacks of personality to me, depictingthe fact that here in Germany you see so many 911s in summer that it is not aspecial car anymore. I this is why I started looking to the F-type V6Sconvertible as a very solid option to replace the BoxsterS and I really thinkit will give happier moments.

I havereading in the forum about how much mileage you are doing guys and it seems wewill be doing more (around 10.000miles/year). What are your thoughts regardinghow this car will age? Do you have any reference to assess if it will be tooexpensive to keep in the medium term? Do you think Jaguar´s reliability hasimproved over the last years?

Your inputsare very much appreciated.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:04 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

100,000 plus km's is not really a challenge for most modern cars if they are well maintained. The consensus seems to be that jags in general have been pretty good in reliability ratings lately. Reading here there are a few nightly issues but not hearing any widespread major issues, and people seem to feel that the 6 in particular is not over stressed as an engine.

Of course it will depend on how you drive and maintain it but I don't think that mileage is going to be a big problem.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by pacix
What are your thoughts regardinghow this car will age? Do you have any reference to assess if it will be tooexpensive to keep in the medium term? Do you think Jaguar´s reliability hasimproved over the last years?
Pacix, Welcome!
If I didn't think I could get at least 150,000 very spirited driven miles out of it, I wouldn't be buying it.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-04-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

On my third Jag.. no issues at all. Expect I could go well over 100 thousand miles, if I wanted to, with proper maintenance.
I tend to trade them in before the miles get that high.
Lawrence.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,591 Likes on 857 Posts

Welcome to the F-Type Forum pacix.

I certainly would like to think so - and expect it - that 100,000+ miles shouldn't be a problem at all. Based on my past experience with Jaguar and from what we've all experienced with our F-Types - "new" that they are - I don't think that that's going to be a issue. 60,000 should be a cake-walk.

Best regards and best of luck. Let us know what you decide.
RJ52

Old 03-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks alot for all your positive answers and the warm welcome

I agreethat reaching 60.000 miles should not be an issue for modern cars if they are properlymaintained as we are really crazy about keeping ours vehicles in excellentconditions but it is also true that some brands have a “reliability” reputationand some others don´t.

I have notbeen following how this has improved in Jaguar in the last years as I neverthought buying one until I come across the F-Type, so this is why I am risingthe question here where there is a great knowledge about Jag. I agree that theV6 engine should be likely to be better in the long term. Do you happened toknow about complete engines failure on a F-type? What are you calculations interms of Cost of Ownership?

Old 03-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AnD3rew
... and people seem to feel that the 6 in particular is not over stressed as an engine.
Hi Pacix - welcome. I do agree that most modern cars, including Jaguars, should perform very well for many miles if properly maintained.

AnD3rew - what is your rationale for singling out the 6 as less stressed (and I guess the implication is, more reliable)? Given almost all F Types are driven within (or close to) normal speed limits, it stands to reason that the V8 does less work to achieve those speeds, doesn't it?

The following users liked this post:
AnD3rew (03-04-2015)
Old 03-04-2015, 01:03 PM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hi Pacix - welcome. I do agree that most modern cars, including Jaguars, should perform very well for many miles if properly maintained.

AnD3rew - what is your rationale for singling out the 6 as less stressed (and I guess the implication is, more reliable)? Given almost all F Types are driven within (or close to) normal speed limits, it stands to reason that the V8 does less work to achieve those speeds, doesn't it?
Not really my rationale, it's a feeling I have picked up from others here talking about the engines but maybe I misinterpreted. That wasn't really my main point though, should apply to all engines in these cars with proper maintenance the vast majority of them should easily go the distance.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Being wrapped around a tree is more likely to limit the life of these cars than wear.

The only way that wear is likely to be a consideration is when the cosmetics are not as they were while spates prices mean a car is worth more in bits...