F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car sounds different after software update

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Car sounds different after software update

So when I dropped the car off to the dealer last weekend they performed a software update - JTB00415.

After picking up the car, it sounds different to me. The exhaust sounds much more tamer. I could make it rev and get pops and crackles before I dropped it off but after the update it sounds much more subdued to my ear than before. Do I have to break in the car again to get it to sound like before? Anybody else experience this?

Also what is JTB00415? Can I find a list of technical bulletins for the Ftype anywhere?

Old 08-08-2015, 01:41 AM
Received 172 Likes on 124 Posts

Interesting, shouldn't be anything to do with breaking in. The auto transmission will I think learn and adapt to your driving style and it may be that it has reset and needs to relearn and that may make some difference.

You can get tech bulletins online from Topix, but you need an account or to find someone with and account to get in and see the details.

How long have you been driving it since you picked it up? I definitely find the sounds and particularly the ops and crackles are a bit variable anyway depending on weather conditions and also the combination of standard, dynamic and sport modes you use. You might just need to give it a bit longer.

Last edited by AnD3rew; 08-08-2015 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:30 AM
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Are these updates on all years and models?

Old 08-08-2015, 11:01 AM
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

f_in_seattle,

Topix lists the Technical Service Bulletin as - JTB00415NAS2 - Transmission In Neutral After Coming To A Stop

Published: 01-Jul-2015 20:55:04

The following users liked this post:
f_in_seattle (08-13-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Mine is just back from its first service. More overrun crackles than before...

Also, it seems I've managed to get half way through my rear Pirellis in just 4,500 miles. Hmmm....

Old 08-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by F-typical
Also, it seems I've managed to get half way through my rear Pirellis in just 4,500 miles. Hmmm....
Sounds about the same as me. My rears were gone at 10,500 miles. I put on Michelin PSS and they last a lot longer - recommended. I am at 22,000 now and I have probably used around 40% of the rear PSSes. I drive nicely, well, sometimes at least.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:54 PM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by nscott
f_in_seattle,

Topix lists the Technical Service Bulletin as - JTB00415NAS2 - Transmission In Neutral After Coming To A Stop

This was in Lynnwood? I had car in Tacoma in the last two days and they did not do that update. They did update the gateway module which is supposed to fix the charging issues.

If I get the update you referenced I will let you know. Is your charging/starting problem fixed?

Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Nookieman
This was in Lynnwood? I had car in Tacoma in the last two days and they did not do that update. They did update the gateway module which is supposed to fix the charging issues.

If I get the update you referenced I will let you know. Is your charging/starting problem fixed?
It was in Tacoma, the car did need that update though since I mentioned that as a problem as it happened twice to me

Old 08-13-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by nscott
f_in_seattle,

thank you!

Old 08-19-2015, 07:59 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

any update on this?

Old 08-19-2015, 08:05 PM

I'm curious too. F in Seattle - is your car still dying on you? Is the noise back? Are you happy yet?

Old 08-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default V6 Fart Cans

I was watching and listening a V6 F Type fly by the other day - and it really sounded like it had TWO FAT CANS ! Whatsup with that !

Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by bollocsk187
I was watching and listening a V6 F Type fly by the other day - and it really sounded like it had TWO FAT CANS ! Whatsup with that !
Never heard much of anything coming out of a can (fat or skinny). What's the reference?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:25 AM

I'm curious too. F in Seattle - is your car still dying on you? Is the noise back? Are you happy yet?
I havent had a chance to drive it much after the issues and software update. The car is slowly starting to sound a little better. Now I can consistently get pops when manually shifting up from 2nd to 3rd at a higher RPM, but it still sounds tamer to my ear than before. It seems like the car is learning, I just need to drive it more and more aggressively to get back to where it was. I could definitely tell the difference though on a base car.

I haven't had a non-start issue, but then again I haven't been driving it much. I'm going on a longish road this weekend so we'll see. I also broke down and bought the ctek charger and it definitely spent some time charing up the battery. Who knows if that helped.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I havent had a chance to drive it much after the issues and software update. The car is slowly starting to sound a little better. Now I can consistently get pops when manually shifting up from 2nd to 3rd at a higher RPM, but it still sounds tamer to my ear than before. It seems like the car is learning, I just need to drive it more and more aggressively to get back to where it was. I could definitely tell the difference though on a base car.

I haven't had a non-start issue, but then again I haven't been driving it much. I'm going on a longish road this weekend so we'll see. I also broke down and bought the ctek charger and it definitely spent some time charing up the battery. Who knows if that helped.
FWIW, you inspired me get my car serviced. It had been throwing codes. I checked the voltage while running with a little meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and it seemed low at 12.1 or so. Took it to Tacoma. They said the battery was ok but I disagreed with that. They did do a transfer module update which is supposed to improve charging. I paid for and received a new battery as well.

Car now shows 12.9 volts on the same meter and has not thrown any codes. The battery charges more quickly on the Ctek now as well.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts

was able to go have a listen of an MY16 awd v8 coupe at my local dealer - we are just starting to get my16 cars now here in Aus

i can confirm the sound is all there

so really not sure what this s/w update is, maybe OP has a problem with the flaps in exhaust

Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I just remembered I had the same happen to me. I took her in for something and they did a software update. When I drove her home the exhaust was muted.
I took her back in for something else and mentioned that myself and others noticed my car was quiet recently, but they said they couldn't 'reproduce' the problem. I get it though, it's hard to tell.
I think the problem just disappeared. Nowadays, she crackles and roars and sounds rather fine!

Old 08-24-2015, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by hardwired
I just remembered I had the same happen to me. I took her in for something and they did a software update. When I drove her home the exhaust was muted.
I took her back in for something else and mentioned that myself and others noticed my car was quiet recently, but they said they couldn't 'reproduce' the problem. I get it though, it's hard to tell.
I think the problem just disappeared. Nowadays, she crackles and roars and sounds rather fine!
I'm glad its not just me, do you have a Base, S or R?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by f_in_seattle
I'm glad its not just me, do you have a Base, S or R?
Hardwired has a V8S.

Supposedly these cars learn your driving style and adjust shift points and other performance quirks accordingly.

Several posts on here claiming 5.0 S/C engines will run stronger and louder after service because of restored factory defaults.

I suspect that a car driven harder than average before service might feel weaker and quieter after service.

I think you just need to drive it like you stole it for awhile and it will get back to pre service settings. I think it might work better if you do that while in drive and out of dynamic mode. That is an educated guess.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:34 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Hardwired has a V8S.

Supposedly these cars learn your driving style and adjust shift points and other performance quirks accordingly.

Several posts on here claiming 5.0 S/C engines will run stronger and louder after service because of restored factory defaults.

I suspect that a car driven harder than average before service might feel weaker and quieter after service.

I think you just need to drive it like you stole it for awhile and it will get back to pre service settings. I think it might work better if you do that while in drive and out of dynamic mode. That is an educated guess.
Lol, yeah. I drive for maximum audio, so this would make sense. It also makes the car a little scary. Next thing she'll be taking over the world.

Quick Reply: Car sounds different after software update