F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber Trim?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Carbon Fiber Trim?

At the risk of upsetting schraderade's groundhog day calendar, I'm starting yet another thread about F-Type color choices, but with a twist of the Carbon Fiber variety, which I'll get to in a moment...

I work in a design/architecture related field, and while not in the auto industry, I am of the opinion that every auto body style offers a new palette for creativity, and while the F-Type offers a near-perfect canvass, some paint colors look better than others, some rims look better with certain paint colors, and then there is the whole debate over the Black Pack.

For the last month, I have quietly, but admittedly obsessed over the potential combinations. I've ardently studied most all the examples posted here - thank you everybody for your valued contributions - and I've littered the walls of my office with several dozen poster size prints, many photo shopped to show the same paint color with different trim combinations.

The F-Type Coupe makes every combination look beautiful, however certain combinations are better than others IMHO, and the best combinations of paint and trim make this vehicle even more stunning. Some combinations tend to mute some of the cars great lines, others marvelously enhance the combination of graceful and aggressive lines the F-Type Coupe conveys.

For instance, a month ago I was convinced I wanted Ebony. I drive a Black Benz and believe there is nothing sweeter than a black car - when it is clean...
Then I migrated to the Ultimate Black Metallic, until I saw the paint in person, and felt the metallic fleck actually embellished any swirls in the paint, and detracted from the purity of sheer Black.
After reading some of the glowing commentary here, I was Stratus Grey Metallic bound for a good week, until I noticed this color is far more common in other car models than I initially thought.

With all three of these dark colors, the Chrome trim combination can make the F-Type Coupe look Elegantly rich and sophisticated. On the other hand, there is no doubt that combining the Black trim on these dark colors makes the F-Type Coupe look downright wicked mad and sinister.

I am hoping to find a little of both however - call it a wicked elegance!
And the one thing that troubled my designer eye the most, is that the black window surround on all the dark paint colors, has a tendency to mute the great lines created by the convergence of the rear roof, side window, and rear wheel haunches. More accurately, the Chrome window surround with the darker colors greatly enhances these lines, and makes them even more apparent. Likewise, the Black Window Surround does the same for lighter colors. It would seem that the convergence of lines in this region is a major focal point of the vehicles striking beauty, and one which is further accentuated by some contrast to the shape of the window and it's surrounding trim.

While of course this topic is always one of personal taste and subjective opinion, I have read a ton of great opinions on this forum, and therefore am asking for your thoughts...

As of a few days ago, I am now giving serious consideration to Polaris White:
- Panoramic Roof
- Black Pack
- Black Tornado Wheels
- Red Performance Brake Calipers
- Jet Interior with Jet and Red Duotone Seats.
- Vision Pack
- Powered Tailgate

So aside from your thoughts on this paint and trim combination, what do other forum members think about the addition of Carbon Fiber trim? Is Carbon Fiber still hot, or is it's appeal getting diluted because it has become so commonplace? Is it a passing fad or will it have enduring style? Does it belong on a Jag? I'm considering adding the Carbon Fiber Hood Vents and Side Power Vents. Also know an aftermarket outfitter who can wrap the bottom side sills in Carbon Fiber, provided he can match the appearance of Jag's Carbon Fiber material.

2015 Jaguar F-Type Coupe R shown in Polaris White with Black Tornado Wheels and Tinted Windows (photoshopped):

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Trim?-jaguar-f-type-coupe-whitelightningtint2_zps8e273e29.jpg  

Last edited by IronMike; 06-15-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Iron Mike, I am also in a non-auto related design field and have been monitoring the F-type forum as this car is just beautifully designed, particullarly in coupe form. I am not a fan of white cars in general, and for whatever reason, in the northeast ( or at least around my area) white is considered a "chic" car. Probably an antiquated notion from the '70s. I agree with your assentment of the colors. The white in the combination pictured looks sharp. I think the carbon fiber would give it a more aggressive sportier still, look. Black wheels and trim look great on white. Agree that the black seems to not highlight the lines of the car, although I prefer black on my XF. Stratus grey seems like a nice color; highlights the shape, but not too dark. There has discussion about red interiors. Red with, black, silver, grey or white exterior would be striking. I saw the video referenced on the forum with the sapphire blue, looks great on the jag USA build site, with two tone, tan/black interior. Italian red exterior with black interior is great combo also. You probably can't go wrong, depending on the look that is prefered. It would be great if all twelve colors could be lined up and photographed. I would like to get a coupe at some point, but it is fun monitoring the discussion here until that day arrives.

Last edited by jaguny; 06-15-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Actually my groundhog day comment was directed at the fact that the OP had posted the exact same question just the week before, so it was a bit weird.

Am also a design nerd, so i've really enjoyed examining the palettes and the design decisions that Jaguar made in the F-Type. I think Polaris White shows the distinctive lines in the F-Type best (with the exception of the rear haunches, which are best seen with glossy darker colors). It's the color Jaguar uses most when showing off the R-Type coupe. Also agree with you guys that the coupe has better overall proportionality and design integrity....this isn't a surprise as Jaguar's head designer has said he designed the F-Type with the coupe line in mind.

I would have considered Polaris seriously, except that it's too bold for me to drive to some business meetings so i had no choice but to go for more restraint. In this vein, i'm really glad that the active exhaust can be switched off for more moderation....it's just great design because, when coupled with the dynamic mode, the car essentially has a range of personalities to suit different occasions. It's a more dynamic experience, and it makes the car feel more "alive" to use Jaguar's mantra.
Likewise, to continue digressing, i know that purists have criticized the gimmicky use of pop-out door handles and the rising air vents, but from a design perspective i think they are elegant ways to make the car feel more alive as it visually "breathes and responds" to the driver in a way that is more similar to an animal than a machine.

With respect to carbon fiber, i personally think that CF accents are a bit tired, although carbon fiber itself is absolutely not tired. Design-wise i think the trend has been to move away from carbon fiber accents (interior panels, hood and body ornaments and handles) towards showing off carbon fiber as a structural element (chassis, whole body panels). The Pagani Huayra and Porsche 918 are great examples.

On the paint issue, you may find the video below helpful as it has lots of nice, dynamic shots of the Stratus Grey and Polaris White F-Types side by side with each other under different lighting conditions. It's remarkable how the paint color changes the car's perceived size, lines, and personality....in design terms this isn't too surprising given that the lines are so intrinsically evocative.

Last edited by schraderade; 06-15-2014 at 02:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jaguny (06-15-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IronMike
More accurately, the Chrome window surround with the darker colors greatly enhances these lines, and makes them even more apparent.
Totally agree on this. The window shape does a magnificent job of wrapping the eye around the side of the car, and the "eyelet" finish towards the rear puts the BMW Hofmeister kink to shame.
Without the chrome surrounds to provide contrast, the car loses one of its finest lines.

Obviously, the chrome surrounds aren't necessary with the brighter paints (including white), because the windows provide enough contrast.

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Trim?-b5c23bf00f1866975f57ca1572116605.jpg  
Old 06-15-2014, 03:55 PM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Also agree! The bright trim, sparingly used, really highlights features of the shape. On Polaris white, black trim and the Pano roof do the same with stunning effect. The styling really hit a perfect note between retro and modern. Contrasting trim, wheels, and seat stitching bring out the more retro look while blacking it out gives it a more modern track look.
I was a little confused and disappointed that the design options for the R were actually more limited than the base and S models. I felt forced into the options I picked, though I'll still be thrilled with it when it arrives.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
...and for whatever reason, in the northeast ( or at least around my area) white is considered a "chic" car. Probably an antiquated notion from the '70s.
"Chic" as in uber-stylish, or "Chic" as in adolescent female?

Originally Posted by schraderade
Actually my groundhog day comment was directed at the fact that the OP had posted the exact same question just the week before, so it was a bit weird.
Ah ha, had not made the connection...

I think Polaris White shows the distinctive lines in the F-Type best (with the exception of the rear haunches, which are best seen with glossy darker colors). It's the color Jaguar uses most when showing off the R-Type coupe
Are you referring to Polaris White with the bolded statement, or "Glossy Darker Colors"?

I would have considered Polaris seriously, except that it's too bold for me to drive to some business meetings so i had no choice but to go for more restraint.
Also a concern to me, which may be part of what is driving me to the more palatable and conservative White, with the "technical" edge created by the Black Tornado wheels, as opposed to the totally sinister race track ready look that results from black Trim and Wheels on Ebony, Black or Stratus Grey.

In this vein, i'm really glad that the active exhaust can be switched off for more moderation....it's just great design because, when coupled with the dynamic mode, the car essentially has a range of personalities to suit different occasions. It's a more dynamic experience, and it makes the car feel more "alive" to use Jaguar's mantra.
Likewise, to continue digressing, i know that purists have criticized the gimmicky use of pop-out door handles and the rising air vents, but from a design perspective i think they are elegant ways to make the car feel more alive as it visually "breathes and responds" to the driver in a way that is more similar to an animal than a machine.
ALL excellent points. I happen to love the Rising Air Vent, so long as it doesn't become a maintenance nightmare. Read where one owner has already had problems with this feature. Don't mind the Door Handles, but Jaguar could have done a better job with the style and ergonomics of the shape, closed as well as opened. Not a fan of the Jaguar logo here that appears to be little more than an adhesive decal.

With respect to carbon fiber, i personally think that CF accents are a bit tired, although carbon fiber itself is absolutely not tired. Design-wise i think the trend has been to move away from carbon fiber accents (interior panels, hood and body ornaments and handles) towards showing off carbon fiber as a structural element (chassis, whole body panels).
Exactly my concern. Have an exotic auto mechanic in my business park who works almost exclusively on Ferrari's, Maserati's and Lamborghini's, and have observed an extensive use of Carbon Fiber on those vehicles... An attention grabber at first, but now its strikes me as cheap.

Totally agree on this. The window shape does a magnificent job of wrapping the eye around the side of the car, and the "eyelet" finish towards the rear puts the BMW Hofmeister kink to shame.
Without the chrome surrounds to provide contrast, the car loses one of its finest lines.

Obviously, the chrome surrounds aren't necessary with the brighter paints (including white), because the windows provide enough contrast.
Precisely my point!
IIRC, you ordered Stratus Grey, without the Black Pack. with what Wheels?

Last edited by IronMike; 06-15-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

IIRC, you ordered Stratus Grey, without the Black Pack. with what Wheels?
Yup, stratus with orbit 19" wheels.

Your configuration with polaris white + pano roof, jet/red duotone and red calipers is exactly what i would pick! personally i wouldn't do the carbon fiber accents....the overall palette of white, black and red is a high-contrast one and you don't need a fourth CF texture to add visual clutter. with the red duotone interior you've got really solid sympathy between the red leather and the calipers, the black and the exterior detail, solid overall interior and exterior contrast. so that bad boy won't need more bling imo.

plus, you can always pop on the carbon fiber details later on.

IronMike (06-17-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts
Default The Carbon Fiber is wicked expensive

Personally I think the black looks as good and it is far less expensive. You could also have the engine cover air brushed or wrapped for a fraction of the $3,500 or so the Jaguar cover costs. I'm going to try that myself. Be aware Mina Gallery is working on a more reasonable set but they are finishing a project (XF) first.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:15 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

IronMike,

I actually have built the Coupe R exactly like yours except jet black interior with white stitching on mine. I am going back and forth on Polaris White & Stratus Grey myself and have a week to decide. Both cars look beautiful with Black Tornado Wheels. I have owned a White Aston Martin DB9 and currently have a White Stingray; both of which had black wheels and look insane. The boxer, Floyd Mayweather, has a fleet of white cars........

The more threads I read, the more I feel strong about going with the Polaris White.

Jeet

Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 AM

Has anybody seen any pics, especially from other angles, of the Polaris White with Black Tornado wheels, aside from the straight profile I photo shopped here?

Old 06-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

[QUOTE=IronMike;996286]"Chic" as in adolescent female or any female. Not sure where that notion comes from.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

IronMike, color is definitely a personal preference, but I definitely agree with you that white with black surrounds, highlights the lines of the car best.

I have a Polaris White w/ Black Pack and Panoramic roof along with the Red Duotone interior with extended leather, Black/Diamond Turned Gyrodyne wheels. I actually prefer dark colors, but after seeing the car in person in black, red, and grey, I went with white and I'm very glad that I did. Several car buffs that have seen the car commented that this combination really highlights the lines of the car. Perhaps its why Jag uses this combo in almost all of its media spots.

I think the black Tornado wheels would look great as well. The Black/Diamond Gyrodyne look great but are more subtle. I'm going to add spacers and may lower the car a bit to give it a more aggressive look.

Regardless, this car looks so great it's hard to go wrong with color choices, good luck with your decision!

IronMike (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not a designer ... and have been configuring my (to be ordered) F type (V6S) in Polaris White with pano roof, chrome window surrounds and 19" inch aluminium wheels, but having read all your comments, I am not so sure anymore about the chrome window surrounds... Do you think polaris with pano roof and chrome surrounds will look bad / over the top / too much contrast?
Personnaly I would like to keep the aluminium wheels since not so font of black wheels. With chrome surrounds ditch the pano roof?? Or go for back pack with pano but alu wheels?

Old 06-17-2014, 08:05 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here pics

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Trim?-f-type.gif   Carbon Fiber Trim?-f-type-2.jpg  
schraderade (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I put this together to help those curious how contrast changes between trim, pano roof and paint choices.

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Trim?-shades-contrast.jpg  

Last edited by ungineer; 06-17-2014 at 10:21 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by ungineer:
jaguny (06-17-2014), PD2911 (06-27-2014), Redmirror (06-17-2014), schraderade (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Redmirror
I am not a designer ... and have been configuring my (to be ordered) F type (V6S) in Polaris White with pano roof, chrome window surrounds and 19" inch aluminium wheels, but having read all your comments, I am not so sure anymore about the chrome window surrounds... Do you think polaris with pano roof and chrome surrounds will look bad / over the top / too much contrast?
Personnaly I would like to keep the aluminium wheels since not so font of black wheels. With chrome surrounds ditch the pano roof?? Or go for back pack with pano but alu wheels?
I think the Pano Roof on the Polaris is an absolute MUST!!!

As far as the window surround and wheel choice, I am of the opinion that the trim and the wheels should all match. I've used Jaguars configurator extensively, and photo-shopped images where the configurator falls short, and without offending those here who have a different combination, I find that adding the Black Pack with silver wheels or choosing black wheels to go with the stock Chrome trim -- regardless of paint color -- undermines the purist beauty of this car in some small way.

We are talking the finer points of style selection here, kind of like making sure your socks match your neck tie (probably just lost half the forum with that comment). If the Wheels don't match the Trim, then they should at least match the paint color.

So if you want aluminum colored wheels, then don't go with the Black Window Surround.

I have my selection pared down to two options: The Polaris White, Black Pack, Black Tornado Wheel combination shown in my original post, or; Ebony with the standard Chrome Trim and aftermarket Chrome Wheels (my A-type personality will not accept silver or brushed wheels together with Chrome Trim, Window Surround and Side Power Vents). The Black on White is more sporty and technical, without going full-on sinister mode, the Chrome on Black is more elegant and sophisticated.

The following 2 users liked this post by IronMike:
pabanker (06-19-2014), Redmirror (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Veteran Member

I think the Pano Roof on the Polaris is an absolute MUST!!!
I agree! Without the pano roof, the white-black boundary really breaks up the sweeping roofline which gives the coupe much of its dynamism.
AKA it looks like a panda bear

Originally Posted by Redmirror
IMO Polaris looks great with either black or alu wheels....Jaguar marketing uses the polaris + alu wheels combination a lot in their photography (partly because black is hard to photograph and print).
Hey IronMike, i think cars.com has some listings with photos of polaris coupes with black tornado wheels, if you're still looking.

Last edited by schraderade; 06-17-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Default Panda bears

BTW.
Panda bears are cute, but not very aerodynamic looking.

Attached Thumbnails Carbon Fiber Trim?-turbo-panda.jpg  
Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

The 2nd picture is the one that forced me to get an F-type, and in Salsa Red.
Jaguar F-Type - diseno-art.com

While a lot of the dark colors look great, I thought part of what makes the F-type look so distinctive (and hot) is all the gills and scoops that mostly disappear with a dark color.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Anyone seen Lunar Gray on a coupe?

I never considered it before, but in some pics it looks quite appealing...almost alien. From what I can tell online, it's one of those colors that relies on ambient lighting. I have Suzuka Grey on my R8 (a metallic, pearlescent, putty white), and in low lighting, it takes on a bluish hue. With the carbon fiber blades, it looks amazing. Would love to duplicate that look in the R Coupe without necessarily having to go with "Refrigerator White," which I admit, is still my favorite color on the R with the Black Package.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber Trim?