F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The case of the disappearing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 05:25 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The case of the disappearing coolant

Hello everyone! I have a 2015 F-Type V6, and I was about 1L low on coolant in the expansion tank. I topped it off, and have an appointment in a week or so with my local jag mechanic, but I decided to peek around the engine bay and see what was going on. I couldn't find any leaks, and the system still seems pressurized (air pops when I take the lid off after cooling the car down) - but I noticed this on top of the supercharger:

Now, my car previously needed some coolant lines removed for service so this could just be spilled coolant... or? Something worse?

BTW - I'm familiar with the Y-pipe and I think that's what I'll need done. But for now, my coolant level seems to not be changing at all.

Old 12-30-2020, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 438 Likes on 387 Posts

Is it still loosing coolant, or holding steady?

Old 12-30-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by BritCars
Is it still loosing coolant, or holding steady?
gonna report back in tomorrow, after driving it hard for a bit.

Old 01-03-2021, 04:14 PM

It appears to be disappearing all on its own. UGH.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like you need your shop to pressure test it and track down the leak. Could be more than one

Common places are the water pump, crossover pipe, several other hard plastic couplings, and the header tank itself (or its cap)

The following users liked this post:
Borbor (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 05:00 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,059 Posts

A few decades ago I had a shop pressure test the cooling system on a new car (Vauxhall) that was losing coolant and they claimed it tested okay. The mechanic had then walked under the car pulling on the various hoses and one came away in his hands - the clip hadn't been fully tightened at the factory! So a pressure test pass doesn't always mean all is well. On the same car I reported it was using oil (about a litre per 10,000 miles) which was unusual for that model, in my experience. The mechanic patronisingly explained that "modern engines do burn a bit of oil" but interestingly, when they replaced the leaky fuel pump seal, the oil level never dropped between services.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:37 AM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
A few decades ago I had a shop pressure test the cooling system on a new car (Vauxhall) that was losing coolant and they claimed it tested okay. The mechanic had then walked under the car pulling on the various hoses and one came away in his hands - the clip hadn't been fully tightened at the factory! So a pressure test pass doesn't always mean all is well. On the same car I reported it was using oil (about a litre per 10,000 miles) which was unusual for that model, in my experience. The mechanic patronisingly explained that "modern engines do burn a bit of oil" but interestingly, when they replaced the leaky fuel pump seal, the oil level never dropped between services.
COMPONENT TEST - OIL CONSUMPTION TEST

GENERAL REMARKS

The amount of oil an engine uses will vary with the way the vehicle is driven in addition to normal engine-to-engine variation. This is especially true during the first 16,100 km (10,000 miles) when a new engine is being broken in or until certain internal components become conditioned. Vehicles used in heavy-duty operation may use more oil. The following are examples of heavy-duty operation:
  • Trailer towing applications
  • Severe loading applications
  • Sustained high speed operation
Engines need oil to lubricate the following internal components:
  • Cylinder block cylinder walls
  • Pistons and piston rings
  • Intake and exhaust valve stems
  • Intake and exhaust valve guides
  • All internal engine components
When the pistons move downward, a thin film of oil is left on the cylinder walls. As the vehicle is operated, some oil is also drawn into the combustion chambers past the intake and exhaust valve stem seals and burned.

The following are examples of conditions that can affect oil consumption rates:
  • Engine size
  • Operator driving habits
  • Ambient temperatures
  • Quality and viscosity of oil
  • Engine is being run in an overfilled condition (check the oil level at least five minutes after a hot shutdown with the vehicle parked on a level surface. The oil level should not be above the top of the cross-hatched area and the letter "F" in FULL).
Operation under varying conditions can frequently be misleading. A vehicle that has been run for several thousand miles on short trips or in below-freezing ambient temperatures may have consumed a "normal" amount of oil. However, when checking the engine oil level, it may measure up to the full mark on the oil level indicator due to dilution (condensation and fuel) in the engine crankcase. The vehicle then might be driven at high speeds on the highway where the condensation and fuel boil off. The next time the engine oil is checked it may appear that a liter of oil was used in about 160 km (100 miles). Oil consumption rate is about one liter per 2,400 km (1,500 miles).

Make sure the selected engine oil meets Jaguar specification and the recommended API Performance category "SG" and SAE viscosity grade as shown in the vehicle Owner's Guide. It is also important that the engine oil is changed at the intervals specified for the typical operating conditions.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:27 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Rummy636
Oil consumption rate is about one liter per 2,400 km (1,500 miles).
I don't know where this came from, but I've clearly never had a vehicle this refers to. The only car I've had that ever needed top-ups between services (c.10,000 mile intervals) (apart from the above mention leaky vehicle) was a "finely engineered" VW Golf which used about a litre per 1,000 miles, the worst car I've ever owned - I'll never buy VW again.

Old 01-04-2021, 01:47 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Whilst I agree that oil usage varies according to driving conditions, the quoted section from Rummy636 post is clearly very outdated, it references oil of API category SG which has been obsolete for over twenty years

Old 01-04-2021, 02:07 PM
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Whilst I agree that oil usage varies according to driving conditions, the quoted section from Rummy636 post is clearly very outdated, it references oil of API category SG which has been obsolete for over twenty years
This came from TOPIx for a MY18 F-Type R. It says the same for a brand new F-Type with a V8 in it. Oil consumption numbers haven't changed.

Old 01-04-2021, 02:42 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by Rummy636
This came from TOPIx for a MY18 F-Type R. It says the same for a brand new F-Type with a V8 in it. Oil consumption numbers haven't changed.
Hear what you're saying, the problems with manuals on Topix is they sometimes contain large passages lifted from years ago or from other models.

I have read a few references to F type "rear seats " which I suspect came from a manual for an entirely different model.

Either way, whilst I believe all engines burn oil and mine needs topping up between 16,000 / yearly services it certainly doesn't come close to 1L per 1500 miles.

Old 01-04-2021, 05:47 PM
Received 2,601 Likes on 1,794 Posts

@OnlySlightlyEvil, to the best of your knowledge, has the engine ever sustained an overheating situation?

Old 01-04-2021, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,131 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_59
Hear what you're saying, the problems with manuals on Topix is they sometimes contain large passages lifted from years ago or from other models.

I have read a few references to F type "rear seats " which I suspect came from a manual for an entirely different model.

Either way, whilst I believe all engines burn oil and mine needs topping up between 16,000 / yearly services it certainly doesn't come close to 1L per 1500 miles.
A classic example is the jacking points shown in both the F-Type Owners Handbook and the Workshop Manual.
The diagrams are dead wrong and appear to be carried over from either the XK or XF handbook/manual.
And my F-Type has never consumed a single drop of oil between oil changes.
I exaggerate only a tad, all cars consume some engine oil, but my oil level read-out has never budged off "max".

Last edited by OzXFR; 01-04-2021 at 06:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
scm (01-05-2021)
Old 01-05-2021, 09:05 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need your shop to pressure test it and track down the leak. Could be more than one

Common places are the water pump, crossover pipe, several other hard plastic couplings, and the header tank itself (or its cap)

My 2012 XF V8 is doing the same thing.....
i could smell coolant. Then suddenly, it got much worse and worse.
Now it's losing a quart of coolant every 10 miles.
does anyone know the complete parts list for water pump and crossover pipe replacement?

Old 01-05-2021, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by odurandina
My 2012 XF V8 is doing the same thing.....
i could smell coolant. Then suddenly, it got much worse and worse.
Now it's losing a quart of coolant every 10 miles.
does anyone know the complete parts list for water pump and crossover pipe replacement?
For an F-Type or XF?

Old 01-05-2021, 07:54 PM
Veteran Member

Presumably an XF if it's 2012? So not quite the right section of the forum. You should repost in the X250 section.

Don't drive it!!!! Seriously. If it's losing a quart in 10 miles, it's a serious leak. It could easily dump coolant and overheat the engine - and that is likely death to your engine (the aluminum block doesn't take well to overheating). And a replacement engine is >>value of the car...

Old 01-05-2021, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
@OnlySlightlyEvil, to the best of your knowledge, has the engine ever sustained an overheating situation?
Never.

Old 01-07-2021, 02:23 PM

Welp, pressure tested overnight and it didn't budge. I think this may be a failing cap, allowing it to slowly evaporate or something. I'm replacing my filler cap.

Old 01-07-2021, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Pressure test should show if the cap is leaking too. So if it passed the pressure test then unlikely to be the cap. Unfortunately may mean something more serious - leaking when engine is running. Have you checked your oil to see if coolant is getting in via head gasket?

Old 01-07-2021, 11:24 PM

Pressure test should show if the cap is leaking too. So if it passed the pressure test then unlikely to be the cap. Unfortunately may mean something more serious - leaking when engine is running. Have you checked your oil to see if coolant is getting in via head gasket?
well, it's worse now. I drove away, gave it a spirited run; then my water pump shot water all over the front of the engine.

car never overheated; it's back at the shop.

I think I'm selling after this.

Quick Reply: The case of the disappearing coolant