F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chargin both batteries

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Chargin both batteries

I have a new F Type so if sounds like I don't know much about them it's because I don't!
But I understand they have 2 batteries. A lead acid and a lithium.
I have a CTEK 300 charger installed per the instructions but seems I read this only charges the lead acid battery, not the lithium. I also understand (I think) the lithium is for starting the engine.

Can anyone elaborate/correct me on this?

Loving the car!

Old 11-18-2014, 07:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't know what type batteries it has because I haven't researched it, but I do know the 2nd smaller battery is for the engine start/stop function ("eco-mode"). I don't know if a battery maintainer on the main battery charges the "eco-mode" battery or not, but it's a good question.

In any event, you can simply avoid the issue after a long period of activity by switching to dynamic mode which disables the engine start/stop function until the alternator has a chance to recharge it. All you really have to worry about during a long storage period is keeping a charge in the main battery.

The following users liked this post:
ldmack3 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
I don't know what type batteries it has because I haven't researched it, but I do know the 2nd smaller battery is for the engine start/stop function ("eco-mode"). I don't know if a battery maintainer on the main battery charges the "eco-mode" battery or not, but it's a good question.

In any event, you can simply avoid the issue after a long period of activity by switching to dynamic mode which disables the engine start/stop function until the alternator has a chance to recharge it. All you really have to worry about during a long storage period is keeping a charge in the main battery.
Yes to this.. I was advised the same by a mechanic at dealer.
Lawrence

ldmack3 (11-21-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

After re-reading the OP, I think he may have a lingering question about the function of the two batteries. The main battery ALWAYS starts the engine when you press the start button. The 2nd battery is only for the engine start/stop (eco-mode) function.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-19-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

here is a post from another board about the 2 batteries

Two Batteries in your F-Type - Jaguar F-Type Forum

But you should check with your dealer as they are extremely expensive to replace. My McLaren has a lithium battery and the replacement is $3500

Last edited by zach05855; 11-19-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:19 AM

Below is a quote from another board

Here's some more info to chew on: the installation directions for the Jaguar charger kit. This shows the harness hooking up to the fuse block in the trunk. I have a non-Jaguar trickle charger on order - I may pop out the trunk liner and take a look at this fuse block.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/6gasar...arging_Kit.pdf

Old 11-19-2014, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Zach.

The opinions are all over the map in the links you posted in this and the other battery thread. I was obviously misinformed by the dealer about the 2nd battery's function being only eco-mode (engine start/stop) related. I now see it ALWAYS starts the engine not the main battery. Thus, just having a float charger on the main battery isn't going to protect you from having a no-start condition due to a dead 2nd battery after long storage.

If I were to guess which is the best solution, I think I'll use alligator clips on the charging points under the hood, when I want to top off the battery, and then remove the clips when done.

However, even though it does get very cold in my area (20ºF last night) snow doesn't usually hang around very long, and we have enough good above freezing days and rain to wash away the salt after snow storms. If it's a normal winter, I'll be using the car through the coldest months, at least enough to keep the batteries from running down.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-19-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:02 AM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

I don't know that I believe that the 2nd battery is always used to start the car. It is a well known "trick" that if you want to disable the ECO start/stop function, you can disconnect the 2nd battery and the car will run fine.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:36 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,064 Likes on 1,369 Posts

When I wired my Batter Tender Jr into the power distribution panel per the Jaguar instructions, I confirmed that the charging voltage appeared on both batteries. It did.

This was last fall, and I had no issues when the car came out of storage this spring.

F-TypeRookie (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by another_geek
I don't know that I believe that the 2nd battery is always used to start the car. It is a well known "trick" that if you want to disable the ECO start/stop function, you can disconnect the 2nd battery and the car will run fine.

You're right. I was initially told the main battery ALWAYS started the car, and that the 2nd was for ECO start/stop as you said. I then read a link posted by Zach in which a so-called expert said otherwise, so I started doubting what I had previously been told.

It's now clear the "so-called expert" in the link Zach posted was incorrect. Hopefully, once and for all, the 2nd smaller battery only powers ECO start/stop and the main battery does everything else.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
F-TypeRookie (11-19-2014), golfhero (11-19-2014)
Old 11-19-2014, 03:13 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
When I wired my Batter Tender Jr into the power distribution panel per the Jaguar instructions, I confirmed that the charging voltage appeared on both batteries. It did.

This was last fall, and I had no issues when the car came out of storage this spring.
I have a CTEK 7002. I'm planning on wiring the black and red into the panel as per the jaguar battery charging kit pdf. The difference is I don't have a third connector (A1) like the OEM version. You were ok and confirmed voltage across both batteries with just the blk and red connectors correct?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 PM

My understanding is that the Lead acid battery is for starting the car and the smaller Lithium battery is just for maintaining the electronics during the ECO mode.

If you install the maintainer on the main bus as Jaguar shows it will charge both batteries

Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by golfhero
I have a CTEK 7002. I'm planning on wiring the black and red into the panel as per the jaguar battery charging kit pdf. The difference is I don't have a third connector (A1) like the OEM version. You were ok and confirmed voltage across both batteries with just the blk and red connectors correct?
The A1 you are looking at is for a remote connector, don't worry about that, just use the Red and Black

Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member

Rewired my Battery Tender Plus today per the Jaguar charger installation instructions, which was less than a 10 minute job. Thanks to all who brought those to my attention, as I wasn't aware they were on this site. It works perfectly.

BTW, both batteries are "old-school" lead acid, at least my car.

EDIT: I was at my dealer today getting an oil change, and the parts guy said the Jaguar charger is no longer available through Jaguar dealers, FWIW.

Last edited by Foosh; 11-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:48 PM
Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Rewired my Battery Tender Plus today per the Jaguar charger installation instructions, which was less than a 10 minute job. Thanks to all who brought those to my attention, as I wasn't aware they were on this site. It works perfectly.

BTW, both batteries are "old-school" lead acid, at least my car.

EDIT: I was at my dealer today getting an oil change, and the parts guy said the Jaguar charger is no longer available through Jaguar dealers, FWIW.
My batteries are both AGM. Larger one is 90 ah.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Received 98 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Battery Tender Plus that I have directly wired to my other cars batteries. Is there any reason that I can not do the same with the F-Type?

Thanks,

Walt

Old 11-21-2014, 06:36 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After re-reading the OP, I think he may have a lingering question about the function of the two batteries. The main battery ALWAYS starts the engine when you press the start button. The 2nd battery is only for the engine start/stop (eco-mode) function.
Yes I actually had 2 questions in one. The function of the second and the charging question.

Thanks for the info!

Old 11-21-2014, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by golfhero
My batteries are both AGM. Larger one is 90 ah.
I guess that's another confirmed difference between the 100K and the 70K models.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WaltB
I have a Battery Tender Plus that I have directly wired to my other cars batteries. Is there any reason that I can not do the same with the F-Type?

Thanks,

Walt
That's what I thought too Walt and the way I had wired it. It was working fine. However, there are apparently two issues with the traditional method:

1) It won't charge the 2nd battery, and

2) JLR says it might interfere with the battery monitoring system and cause false warnings.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 AM

That's what I thought too Walt and the way I had wired it. It was working fine. However, there are apparently two issues with the traditional method:

1) It won't charge the 2nd battery, and

2) JLR says it might interfere with the battery monitoring system and cause false warnings.

+1

Quick Reply: Chargin both batteries