Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Charging System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 10:46 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by PBBarb
Ok, so latest update as of Friday: there was one harness showing available in England and we weren't sure if we'd get it or not (took almost a week to get all the permissions they needed to get it ordered). Found out late Friday that we are indeed getting that one and not having to wait 60-90 days for a new one to be made. So I'm guessing in about a month I'll have my car back (according to JLR, it should take the dealer 10-14 days for the harness to arrive and then it will probably take a couple of weeks since they have to disassemble and reassemble my car and basically rewire the whole thing. If this means nothing more than annual visits, I'll take it. I do wish I weren't in yet another Rover, but I'm trying not to be a princess about it since they have had me in loaners for this whole process. Of course I will have missed almost a full year of having the top down. Today would have been perfect, but at least I had the motorcycle to take out and enjoy some wind in my hair.
I wasn't going to chime in, but I can't contain myself.
It would seem, after all you've been through, that JLR or the Dealer would overnight the harness. It would also seem appropriate that the Dealer would begin disassembling the car while waiting for the harness.
Just my two cents.

Old 11-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

Well they did start the disassembly before since once they had the seats out they saw the damaged wires and that was before they got the million approvals needed to order the thing. I get that it’s a lengthy thing - and I decided I’d rather be patient and not rush the process. I got my car back yesterday and so far so good (how sad is it that 24 hours problem free is exciting). Other than the fact we kind of skipped fall and there was a thick layer of frost this morning and I barely got to enjoying having a convertible since May. Still, if she’s fixed now I’m happy. It’s been a rough few weeks - although I started a new job at a great firm, I had a Vegas trip cut short because one of our elderly cats declind rapidly over two days and we lost her and her brother has started chemotherapy. But I am still in love with my car so hopefully that’s the end of the saga. Oh and I now know where the LoJack was installed.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (11-21-2018)
Old 11-21-2018, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Oh and I now know where the LoJack was installed.
Shiiiish!

Congrats on the successful resolution. Any idea what caused the wire damage? (factory or previous owner?)

Old 11-22-2018, 02:35 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Wow, finally a result. I admire your patience, you certainly deserve a few years of trouble free motoring now!

Old 11-22-2018, 04:10 PM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

Really pleased to hear your epic saga has been successfully resolved, finally.

Hope you can now get lots of driving pleasure.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,541 Likes on 1,412 Posts

Hey PBBarb,
I can say I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly they got your car fixed, the same way they should have fixed it the first 20 or so times they worked on it. I'm so happy for you. Even more surprising is that I got the Pantera back about 3 weeks ago even though it needs to have the fuel injection sorted out as it's running quite roughly. But at least I can look at it in my driveway every day. I took it out to a car show a couple of weekends back and everyone in my neighborhood told me I woke them out of bed. So happy you'll be able to enjoy your car again. Have fun!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Shiiiish!

Congrats on the successful resolution. Any idea what caused the wire damage? (factory or previous owner?)
My guess based on location and appearance is factory. Probably the end of a day or something and a guy pulled to many wires at once too hard through too small of a hole and they rubbed going through. All of them were rubbed just enough to expose the wires just enough (more scraping rather than stripping or crimping) and they were in a group together under one of the seats.

i do feel a bit bad that I’ve been blaming the dealer when it turns out the shop foreman has been suggesting replacing that harness for a while now and I’m guessing the warranty group is who kept saying no. It took my husband causing a huge stink with the corporate liaison to even get the first of many approvals to do it. Maybe they could have pushed harder, I don’t know, but the main hold up seems to have been the warranty people.

Im just glad it eventually got done and I managed to stay somewhat patient and I have her back now. Now to be patient through the crap weather until I can drop the top again. Today’s high is supposed to be around 45 degrees (Fahrenheit) so I’m staying inside in sweats. I’ll admit I do keep looking at my car just to reassure myself she’s still there. And thinking of the cold just reminded me I need winter riding gloves for my motorcycle.

I started a new job during all of this and am now super busy with no surfing time, but I’ll start being around again more now. I’ve missed y’all!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by tberg
Hey PBBarb,
I can say I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly they got your car fixed, the same way they should have fixed it the first 20 or so times they worked on it. I'm so happy for you. Even more surprising is that I got the Pantera back about 3 weeks ago even though it needs to have the fuel injection sorted out as it's running quite roughly. But at least I can look at it in my driveway every day. I took it out to a car show a couple of weekends back and everyone in my neighborhood told me I woke them out of bed. So happy you'll be able to enjoy your car again. Have fun!
I was so glad to see you got your car back too! I'm enjoying having an obnoxiously loud car again too! I have to remember to be careful in the parking deck at work since the building we are in houses one of our largest clients so I don't want to be too obnoxious and set off any of their car alarms, but it's so hard not to just stomp on the gas and giggle. You don't even want to know what my current average gas mileage is - I keep it up on the screen just so I can laugh and when it gets around 11 mpg I remind myself to act like an adult.

Oh, and I will be in Woodland Hills in July - we are going to Costume College, but I don't think we'll have much in the way of free time (can't remember what the tour on Friday is, but I know Monday before heading to the airport is a tour of the fabric district. I'll keep you updated though on if there will be free time so I can see your baby at least!

Old 11-23-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Now to be patient through the crap weather until I can drop the top again. Today’s high is supposed to be around 45 degrees (Fahrenheit) so I’m staying inside in sweats.
Daytime temps fell below freezing here for the first time this season (And the first time this season I’ve driven with the windows up).

Old 11-23-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Daytime temps fell below freezing here for the first time this season (And the first time this season I’ve driven with the windows up).
The day I got to pick her up, I drove back to the office with the top and windows down, heated seat and steering wheel on, heat on (left my jacket at the office) and was still freezing by the time I got back but I was smiling! As long as it's above 50 I'll do that. It's supposed to rain tomorrow and then be more normal for us (low 60s for highs) and I'll be good again. I am southern so anything below 50 and I'm whining for it to be Spring.

Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Well, when you're out in Woodland Hills, our office building is there as well, and I'm sure we can meet for a few minutes, at least. As for the textile district, my family's business for over 60 years were fabric stores, and for a select few designers and clients, I still acquire fabrics and fabricate draperies, upholstery, and furniture for them. I know every, single nook and cranny of the downtown textile district, having visited them for the past 60 years (and still a frequent visitor) and having purchased tens of millions of yards of fabrics both for apparel and home decor. I hope you get some nice weather to tool around in with the top down between now and then. I'm getting my restored 2002 XKR convertible back this week and I can't wait to drop the top in our 80*F weather.
Have fun!

Old 12-15-2018, 08:05 PM

As we get closer to when I'll be out there, I might send you a message to get ideas of the best places to get what I'm in need of at that point if you don't mind.

So, that said, would y'all like to guess where my car is this weekend? On Thursday, it started (very briefly) with the usual, but almost immediately stability control fault, then adaptive dynamics and who knows what all else. I ended up turning off everything I could (infotainment was flickering and there was a clicking sound that reminded me a bit of the click you get when you try to crank a car with a bad battery, but of course my car was running. On Monday JLR is sending someone to the dealership to inspect her. No idea who that will be, but hopefully someone who knows what they are doing. My guess is a loose ground or other connection up front (I hit a pothole the night before hard enough I stopped to make sure I hadn't damaged the wheel or tire or anything else) or someone else suggested an issue with the ECU. I guess I should have known it was too good to be true. That all was overshadowed by losing my other 17 year old cat last night. I'll update when I have more information next week.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

It will be my pleasure. i'm taking the Pantera out for a ride tomorrow. After I got it back, it vapor locked two days in a row, and I had to have it towed. We are working on a heat shield fix next week. But in the meantime, I'm driving the big cat and having some fun. Hopefully you'll have a chance to take her for a spin when you're out here. Good luck again with your car. Your husband must be even more furious than you are frustrated.
Talk to you soon. I will P.M. you my contact information for when you come out.
Thanks,
Ted

Old 12-15-2018, 10:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

That all was overshadowed by losing my other 17 year old cat last night.
As much as I love my mechanical friends, they're all replaceable. My feline friends have all been special in their own ways, and you have my heartfelt sympathy for the loss of yours.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:37 PM

Thank you. It's been incredibly hard to lose them both. One of the others has been trying to fill the void and following me around and watching me, etc. This next year is going to be rough because the baby now is 9 and everyone is elderly. That's the price we pay for the love they give us and the happiness the bring though.

So, got an update today that they were replacing the alternator. Kind of makes sense that systems were failing one after the other and it's like things were shutting down to preserve battery for essential functions maybe? I haven't had a bad alternator since my '86 Mustang so no idea how that works these days. We'll see. I'm still pretty sure that the main issue has been fixed. Now whether all of that could have caused issues with other parts I suppose is the question now. I'll update hopefully tomorrow.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:09 PM

I didn't realize I never gave an update here. I can't even remember where exactly I left off, but looks like it was the cascade fault which was a quick fix (a single connector wasn't in tight). No issues at all until . . . you knew this was coming, right? . . . April 2 the fault happened again. I called the dealer immediately since I was leaving a doctor's appointment and would be coming right by them on my way back to the office. My SA has been moved to an internal position so now I have a new one (and I kind of feel bad for the guy). He didn't seem to understand why I was pushing to come in while the light was on, etc. and kept telling me the first available appointment was for Monday the 8th. I said that I'd take it but that the fault would be long gone by then. Since I was close to time for my yearly service, I'd just go ahead and get that done a month early. Of course light went off and wasn't seen again before the service on the 8th. They did find a cable (main battery cable junction block at the starter from my paperwork) that was bad and replaced it. Got my car back Saturday morning. Overpaid by $150 (used vouchers from corporate and they accidentally had the cable price on there, but since they already processed the vouchers apparently I'm out $150). I was going to let it go except . . . last night it came on again. Of course it's gone again as well.

Here are some of the questions/answers while they had my car:

Conditions that day - warm, sunny, I drove from my office downtown to the doctor on the northside (less than 20 miles, but over 30 minutes), parked in the garage (shade), was there 2 hours, when I went back out and cranked the car, the light was immediate.
I was asked if I used the key fob repeatedly to "find" my car in the garage. I explained that no, I keep my keys in my backpack and just touch the handle to lock/unlock. Thought that was an odd question, but did mention to them that a couple of times recently on the passenger side the handle has popped back out and I got the double beep. I keep meaning to see what that means, but it didn't bother me that much at the time and I always forgot by the time I was where I could research.
Nothing else mentioned about the fob/doors/etc.
Apparently (according to the paperwork) there was evidence of overheating on the cable they replaced because of "corrosion/poor connection"). Considering I was told that pretty much every piece of the charging system had been replaced previously I find that odd. Still, I was willing to let it go if it fixed things. Apparently it didn't. I did tell him that the next time it happens during work hours I will be dropping everything and coming straight there and will wait in the car with it running until someone can find the time to look. This all reminds me, he hasn't gotten back to me with what the code was (I asked because I wanted to see if it was the same as before).

So, it appears that my frustration is about to ramp up again. I had right at 3 months where I was supremely happy and thought this was all over.

Also, the fact that he told me yesterday that this kind of thing is why he suggests to family and friends only buying CPO, and being surprised when I said that's why I did so, then he tried to tell me I could only buy CPO through an authorized dealer (which I did), etc. He finally said he saw in the system that it is indeed a CPO. Didn't make me feel good that he made himself familiar with my car's history there or that he understands what's about to happen if this is starting all over.

So, there's my update. Since my last one, I've gotten a custom Triumph Bobber (a friend was going to customize it for himself, but he'd just gotten a Husqvarna and wanted to keep it and when I mentioned I wanted a Bobber, we got our heads together and convinced my husband and he finished the customization for me), took a welding workshop at the same friend's shop, and last week (as some of you know from the other thread) I got to drive a sportbrake.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:37 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Damn. You should print out this entire thread, and make the SA read the whole thing while you sit there glaring at him.

The following users liked this post:
PBBarb (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 08:09 AM

I'll give him a bit longer to acclimate, but then I can't make any promises. I'm fairly slow to anger (true anger, not just irritation), but when I get there - let's just say I've been told that's when you know I've got some Italian ancestry. Problem is, by the time I'm there, I'm ready to go nuclear. That's why it's better for me to ask my husband to deal with them - he's more level with people in those situations since I tend to go from being too nice to downright nasty in a split second while he can firmly make his point without losing his temper.

We'll see how this progresses. I'm now kind of curious of outside temperature has anything to do with my gremlin. This all started about this time last year (when we have this crazy weather where it's 80 degrees one day and a high in the 50s the next) and it got progressively worse as the weather got hotter more consistently with a finish during winter and while it was cold is when I had 3 trouble-free months. Of course that could mean absolutely nothing, but I'm pretty much grasping at any straw at this point.

Happy Friday y'all!