F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How does your clutch work on maximum acceleration during a 1st to 2nd gear upshift.
Works well with positive engagement.
33.33%
Not the best, but it's ok.
38.60%
Slips horribly or won't hook up at all.
28.07%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch Satisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
The shifter is not a "have to" update. The throw is shorter than my two previous cars, although longer than the one I updated with a short-shifter.

The delay valve is a different story. I don't notice it (much) in daily driving, but away from the commute and feeling sporty, it's a problem. I haven't had issues where the clutch just wouldn't engage, but I have adjusted my driving to account for the weak clutch. I shouldn't have to do that.
10-4 on the shifter - I dont want to overstate the case.

Don't really understand why this is a problem, the BMW M3 has a similar ZF 6spd MT & clutch (S6-37) as is generally considered 'bulletproof'. The F-Type has the slightly beefier version (S6-45) built to handle more torque, also used in the BMW 135i, 235i and 335i - where slippage does not appear to be a manifest problem from my limited google-ing. What gives, I wonder?

The following users liked this post:
Jaronstoys (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden

Don't really understand why this is a problem, the BMW M3 has a similar ZF 6spd MT & clutch (S6-37) as is generally considered 'bulletproof'. The F-Type has the slightly beefier version (S6-45) built to handle more torque, also used in the BMW 135i, 235i and 335i - where slippage does not appear to be a manifest problem from my limited google-ing. What gives, I wonder?
Just because the trans is the same does not mean the clutch is. The 135i clutch assembly worked just fine below 400 horsepower, and only really started to struggle at 450+ when driven extremely hard. But again, this clutch is surely a different design.

As a warning however; I have had horrible experiences with Spec's customer service, hopefully you guys don't experience the same.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

I had an '08 E93 M3 with the ZF 6MT, which is a V8 w/ over 400HP, and it was indeed bullet-proof. I couldn't make it slip if I tried, and it was equal to the awesome Tremec unit I had in my C6 Z06.

I can't imagine the problem is w/ the gear box and almost certainly has to be w/ the clutch system.

Old 03-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I keep thinking back to that review on the manual slipping on hard acceleration. Something to the effect that Jaguar representatives state this is a pre-production model and the production cars will have a different clutch...

Old 03-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh

If JLR were to get their act together and fix this, I'd make the swap immediately, but there's no way in hell I'd go through what Unhingd is doing to try to make it right.
At least, once I get it right, we'll have a formula for fixing it.

The shifter is not a "have to" update. The throw is shorter than my two previous cars, although longer than the one I updated with a short-shifter.
The existing shifter is not bad at all. But for a car of this caliber, it should really have a more precise surgical feel.

The delay valve is a different story. I don't notice it (much) in daily driving, but away from the commute and feeling sporty, it's a problem. I haven't had issues where the clutch just wouldn't engage, but I have adjusted my driving to account for the weak clutch. I shouldn't have to do that.
The delay valve delete is a no cost easy fix. After that's done, spirited shifting will feel much better. However, for aggressive full throttle acceleration through the gears, it won't help much.

The S6-45 tranny does indeed appear to be bullet proof based on a variety of sources. However, Jag may be going with the weak clutches to protect what appears to be a marginal differential. I think it actually looks smaller than the ones on the Bugeye Sprites I used to race.

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Just because the trans is the same does not mean the clutch is. The 135i clutch assembly worked just fine below 400 horsepower, and only really started to struggle at 450+ when driven extremely hard. But again, this clutch is surely a different design.
Highly unlikely that the clutch is the same as the BMW x35i group of cars. Clutches are generally mated to the engine, and only the clutch disk center hole needs to match the input spline to the transmission . Otherwise, I could just buy a BMW clutch off the shelf.

Originally Posted by Stohlen
As a warning however; I have had horrible experiences with Spec's customer service, hopefully you guys don't experience the same.
Thank you for the warning regarding Spec customer service. This is not the first I have heard of this, but their quality reputation, and product knowledge seems to exceed that of the others I have contacted. They've promised me a one day turnaround. We'll see.

I had an '08 E93 M3 with the ZF 6MT, which is a V8 w/ over 400HP, and it was indeed bullet-proof. I couldn't make it slip if I tried, and it was equal to the awesome Tremec unit I had in my C6 Z06.

I can't imagine the problem is w/ the gear box and almost certainly has to be w/ the clutch system.
+1. There's nothing associated with an MT that can slip except the clutch.

Originally Posted by MagnumPI
I keep thinking back to that review on the manual slipping on hard acceleration. Something to the effect that Jaguar representatives state this is a pre-production model and the production cars will have a different clutch...
Maybe the first 2 clutches on my car were pre-production units since mine was one of the first to arrive stateside. It would be nice to determine if there is an updated part number I could insist they install rather than having to do this at my own expense.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-05-2016 at 08:04 PM.
SinF (03-06-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

My car was scheduled into the performance shop next Monday to begin the process of having a decent clutch designed and built, so I took it into the dealer one last time this morning to see what they had to say. I went on the test drive with the tech to make certain that it was tested properly. Of course, he drove it like a sane person and commented that it felt fine to him. I asked him when he last drove a manual transmission and he gleefully remarked that he had driven his 2014 C7 over the weekend. I immediately chided him to drive my car the way he drove his. After the clutch smoke cleared, the car was signed in for servicing. Hopefully they can fix it and I can save $1-2k. I'll keep you posted.

Note: Despite the clutch issue, the tech expressed his desire to trade his car in on an F-Type. (just loves the V6 sound)

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-08-2016 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Veteran Member

That tech sounds a lot like me.

After years of Corvettes and other big rumbling V8s, I now vastly prefer the exotic tones of the F-Type V6. After hearing the V6, feeling the perfect balance, and more nimble handling, I just wasn't interested in the F-Type V8. I've always preferred corner-carving to straight-line acceleration. I'm still thrilled w/ my decision after 2 years, and I'm still not tempted to go back.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
My car was scheduled into the performance shop next Monday to begin the process of having a decent clutch designed and built, so I took it into the dealer one last time this morning to see what they had to say. I went on the test drive with the tech to make certain that it was tested properly. Of course, he drove it like a sane person and commented that it felt fine to him. I asked him when he last drove a manual transmission and he gleefully remarked that he had driven his 2014 C7 over the weekend. I immediately chided him to drive my car the way he drove his. After the clutch smoke cleared, the car was signed in for servicing. Hopefully they can fix it and I can save $1-2k. I'll keep you posted.

Note: Despite the clutch issue, the tech expressed his desire to trade his car in on an F-Type. (just loves the V6 sound)
Hope they can fix it for you

Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member

I hope you don't come home w/ a new clutch delay valve installed after they find the one in your car damaged. :-)

I can see it now on the service invoice: "clutch slipping due to faulty clutch delay valve . . . R&R clutch delay valve."

Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

I hope you don't come home w/ a new clutch delay valve installed after they find the one in your car damaged. :-)

I can see it now on the service invoice: "clutch slipping due to faulty clutch delay valve . . . R&R clutch delay valve."
No issue if that happens (and I wouldn't put it past them)...that's now just a 2 minute fix, thanks to the Volvo forum.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

No issue if that happens (and I wouldn't put it past them)...that's now just a 2 minute fix, thanks to the Volvo forum.
Oh I realize that. However, it would be both comical and likely confirmation that the purpose of the clutch delay valve is to keep the clutch from slipping, due to it's light-duty design.

Thus, it would be the JLR "fix."

Old 03-08-2016, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I'm bringing mine in for an oil change today, plus some other minor issues. I will also be noting the clutch slippage.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

I'm bringing mine in for an oil change today, plus some other minor issues. I will also be noting the clutch slippage.
Every manual owner should be lodging a service complaint regarding clutch slippage. That's the best way to get JLR to address the issue.

The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
818 (04-01-2017), slipstream (07-16-2020), Unhingd (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member

Oh I realize that. However, it would be both comical and likely confirmation that the purpose of the clutch delay valve is to keep the clutch from slipping, due to it's light-duty design.

Thus, it would be the JLR "fix."
I'm certain they might try to use that as an excuse, but the CDV actually exacerbates the slippage rather than minimizing it. Without the CDV, the clutch now feels like it positively engages under moderate acceleration. Problem is, for me moderate acceleration is the exception rather than the rule.

Old 03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

OK...here we go again. Tech has decided to try a new clutch kit, flywheel and throw-out bearing. The catch is that the flywheel is on several months back-order...at the factory. Again begs the question where all the flywheels are coming from for production.

I still need to clarify whether they have updated part numbers for either the clutch kit or the flywheel. As we all know: "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

Old 03-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member

According to the parts manager, the new clutch kit and flywheel are "new numbers, totally different parts". I'm feeling a little better, but still no guess when the parts will be available.

SinF (03-08-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

So far, after only couple days of unspirited driving I am happy with gearbox on my F-Type S. The manual gearbox was surprisingly comfortable in traffic. Shifting was smooth into all gears, catch point wasn't too deep or too narrow, making it easy to shift without focusing on it. Clutch pedal wasn't too light or overly stiff, but about right on the side of heavy. No problems going into any gears, even easily into reverse without having to pump clutch. The only complaint I have is reverse gear position - do not like it next to first.

I have driven 5+ manual cars over many years. My present winter beater is MT Subaru and its gearbox is outright soulless (but functional), so this might be coloring my impressions.

I yet to try push my Jag hard... all of the above is everyday driving impressions.

Last edited by SinF; 03-08-2016 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
So far, after only couple days of unspirited driving I am happy with gearbox on my F-Type S.
Under gentle relaxed driving conditions, (like during the break-in period) mine still feels quite nice. Pushing it hard brings out the flaws. It's been 12 hours since the tech put the car through its paces. It's still stinking up the garage with burnt clutch smell.

Since your car is a more recent build, it is possible that you have an updated clutch that resolves the issue. This is my hope, as it would resolve my problem.

SinF (03-09-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

According to the parts manager, the new clutch kit and flywheel are "new numbers, totally different parts". I'm feeling a little better, but still no guess when the parts will be available.
*******s. So it is a band aid, they knew and released it anyway. The more I find out about this car, and company, the more I wish I'd gotten an old RX7 and an Edsel, or 3, instead...

Old 03-08-2016, 11:06 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

They pulled parts off the line for you before, maybe they can be encouraged to do so again? (assuming they're fitting the new parts on the line of course!!)

Quick Reply: Clutch Satisfaction