F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complaint about the new F type

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

This is one design example of what the Jaguar F-Type could have been // could have looked like.

Oh well.

ÜberMpower • View topic - Designer reimagines the E-Type Jag

Last edited by BrownRobin; 10-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrownRobin
This is one design example of what the Jaguar F-Type could have been // could have looked like.

Oh well.

ÜberMpower • View topic - Designer reimagines the E-Type Jag

Now THAT'S a freaking Jaguar and what I'm talking about. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Attached Thumbnails Complaint about the new F type-670x377image7625316.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

The F type is superior in every single way than the car posted. It's more luxurious, more powerful, quieter, more agile, better ride quality, better handling and more.

If you like retro cars, Ford and Chevy still pump out Mustangs and Camaros.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member

Forgot to say, it looks better too.....

Attached Thumbnails Complaint about the new F type-jaguar-cx16-16.jpg   Complaint about the new F type-2011-jaguar-c-x16-concept-side-top.jpg  
Old 10-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I really feel that Jag is trying to update the look of their cars. They tried the retro look with the S-Type and with the XK and it almost drove them out of business. I understand since they have moved to the more modern look for the XF and XJ and the F-type, sales are way up. I know many of us might like the retro look, but that market is very small. A buyer in their 30's or even 40's don't know the old cars and they what something that looks modern. Jag can't afford to leave that market out.

Personally, I loved the old Jags, but I think the F-Type is one of the best looking cars Jag has very sold. I have had some great looking cars over the years (for their time) but my F-Type is by far the best looking car I every had!

Last edited by NaplesTopLess; 10-16-2013 at 02:11 PM. Reason: What to add more
Old 10-16-2013, 05:29 PM
DGL
Veteran Member
Received 926 Likes on 607 Posts

I seen a Miata at the mall this afternoon. WTF Pluvrr, or whatever your name is, you've got to be smoking some strange stuff. It looked nothing like the F-type--not even close. The Miata is half the size and looks like it came out of a cereal box compared to the F-type.

Aside from this ridiculous complaint thread. The F-type coupe is going to kill and when Jaguar puts out the R-S version look out. I'm sure Jaguar already has 4 iterations in the pipe--it's only going to get better. I'd love to see an AWD torque vectoring dual clutch 700 hp version. Pluvrr should buy a Miata and park it along side of an F-type and go hide with embarrassment.

Last edited by DGL; 10-16-2013 at 07:57 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DPK (10-16-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

I love Miatas. My first car was a Miata. The F-Type is no Miata.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 PM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I love Miatas. My first car was a Miata. The F-Type is no Miata.
+1

Old 10-16-2013, 08:03 PM

Pluvrr has clarified / corrected himself above that the F-Type probably doesn't look as much like an F-Type.

However, we both agree that from a distance the front / side view does look similar to a Honda S2000....... I think you could at least agree with me a little bit on that one.

I don't believe the F-Type is ugly or doesn't perform well. I just believe the F-Type has a lot of similar/ mainstream external design cues as other small compact cars.

Remember - - -

> when the XK120 came out on the market it had a totally new look that revolutionized the market

> when the E-Type came out on the market it had a totally new look that revolutionized the market. Enzo Ferrari himself once said it was the most beautiful of cars ever designed.

> The F-Type is the first Jaguar "sports car" since the E-Type was launched decades ago. BUT IT'S LOOKS HAVE NOT BEEN KNOWN TO HAVE BEEN REVOLUTIONARY TO THE MARKET

I am not saying Jaguar needs to go retro either.

I just think that Jaguar could have gone farther and have been more aspirational with what the F-Type could have looked like.

Jaguar cars always made my heart flutter when their cars drove by me, whether it was the E-Type, the Mark X, the XJC, and XJ's. I just don't have that same feeling with the F-Type.

If all we have ever known to be the F-Type is what the F-Type looks like now, it's hard to see it as anything else.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:15 PM
cjp
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My two cents:

The Miata started life as a anonymous blend of every British sports-car from the sixties, and remains a decent looking little car that sells in bucket-loads because it's fun, cheap and reliable. If you want one, go buy one. You'll have a blast.

The S2000 was a light, chuckable, high-revving thing, that referenced old Honda designs. Those designs, in turn, were copies of the same British sports-cars that Mazda copied with the Miata. You can't buy an S2000 any more. Good luck finding one second-hand that has not been thrashed to death. There are some about, but act quickly.

The Growler is an "homage" to the E-type, a British sports-car from the sixties, that costs an arm and a leg, that sells in tiny numbers, and that will never make type-approval. It's got none of the latest toys that even econo-boxes have today. If you want one, go buy one. Do it soon, as I doubt it will be available for long, given the track records of similar ventures. Enjoy it!

The F-type is an evolution of Jaguar's current design language, that, oddly enough, references British sports-cars designs from the fifties and sixties. I love it more than all of the above, so I bought one. No regrets.

These cars look similar because they are all from the same gene-pool. What a shock! It's a good looking family, so pick the one whose curves you like the most and date her!

I drove the F-type tonight and she got lots of appreciative (and envious) looks. She stopped an M3 driver dead in his tracks at the gas station. He gave me two thumbs up and said "good choice". He was in his thirties, money to spend, and was just the sort of customer Jaguar needs to attract: to compete with the Germans, to stay profitable and to keep making the cars we love.

Mr. Callum seems to be the right man, in the right job, at the right time, to me, just as Mr. Lyons was in the sixties.

Old 10-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member

However, we both agree that from a distance the front / side view does look similar to a Honda S2000....... I think you could at least agree with me a little bit on that one.
Not a one bit...... But, both Miata and S2000 look like they came out of the same cereal box for sure.

> when the XK120 came out on the market it had a totally new look that revolutionized the market
BTW, all cars looked alike back in the 20s, 50s, 60s, 70s and even today. Not much has changed.

Attached Thumbnails Complaint about the new F type-ag_07miata_rear.jpg   Complaint about the new F type-honda-s200-ap1-lisboa_440441747_2.jpg  

Last edited by Executive; 10-16-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:50 PM

redo the above photo comparison of the F-Type to the S2000 from a front/sideview perspective and you'll see the similarities.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 10-17-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Not sure I see it, but they do both look like convertibles, cannot deny that.

Attached Thumbnails Complaint about the new F type-0801_turp_04_z%252bgreddy_honda_s2000_turbo_kit%252bfront_view.jpg   Complaint about the new F type-2013jaguarftype-24.jpg  
Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

What's up fellas. Been a while, figured I'd chime in.

I love the F-type. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, you cannot compare it to anything else. My biggest complaint is the style and size of the rims. You absolutely IMO, need to put larger rims on the car right off the lot. I think the stock Jaguar rims look pretty terrible and make a really nice car, look a little anemic. That's my biggest complaint.

Everything else is top notch. I've always liked the tech in these cars. I do think that Jaguar has been VERY SLOW to update the software packages. I mean, adding simple things like Pandora, OpenTable, Weather, etc to the media center would make a huge difference. Even though I had one get repurchased from Jag because of all the gremlins (real low VIN first year vehicle), I always loved the screens, the resolution, the tech, the buttons, the capabilities, etc...

...I think the F-type drives fantastic. The first time I took the V8S for a spin with the top down, I really got on it (at the behest of the GM who insisted I 'let her rip') my wife screamed like she was having an orgasm. I looked at her and realized, 'yeah, I think I'm buying this'. If Jaguar had a hidden camera in the vehicle that day, they could have put that on Youtube and sold a lot more cars. That's what that car invokes when driving it and it doesn't cost $250k which I'd rather spend on a condo on the beach. Sure. There are cars that handle better, are faster, have more torque and HP, but they are also a lot more money and I am not rolling in Abu Dhabi oil cash right now like some people I know.

The XJL was awesome. It fit 5 people comfortably and 8 if I was DD and there were 6 drunks in the back, but a sports car it was not. It WAS fast, but you can't compare the two.

Ironically, Ive owned dozens of Mustangs as a young adult AND an S2000 AND my mom had a Miata. The ONLY similarities are the headrest roll bars and the fact that they are two seaters. I would never mistake one for the other.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Here are the views I am talking about.

Similar Design Features. (Not exactly the same of course.... BUT.... very, very similar in looks)

Complaint about the new F type-hondas2000-004.jpg

Complaint about the new F type-2013-jaguar-f-type-1-930x619.jpg

Last edited by BrownRobin; 10-18-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:37 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,067 Likes on 1,372 Posts

The bottom picture is what started me thinking about getting an F-type. I see almost nothing in common between those two pictures. Doesn't mean there is no similarity, just means I don't see it.

Regardless, 6000 miles later, I'm having a blast.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:28 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by New2Jag
What's up fellas. Been a while, figured I'd chime in.

I love the F-type. Dollar for dollar, pound for pound, you cannot compare it to anything else. My biggest complaint is the style and size of the rims. You absolutely IMO, need to put larger rims on the car right off the lot. I think the stock Jaguar rims look pretty terrible and make a really nice car, look a little anemic. That's my biggest complaint.

Everything else is top notch. I've always liked the tech in these cars. I do think that Jaguar has been VERY SLOW to update the software packages. I mean, adding simple things like Pandora, OpenTable, Weather, etc to the media center would make a huge difference. Even though I had one get repurchased from Jag because of all the gremlins (real low VIN first year vehicle), I always loved the screens, the resolution, the tech, the buttons, the capabilities, etc...

...I think the F-type drives fantastic. The first time I took the V8S for a spin with the top down, I really got on it (at the behest of the GM who insisted I 'let her rip') my wife screamed like she was having an orgasm. I looked at her and realized, 'yeah, I think I'm buying this'. If Jaguar had a hidden camera in the vehicle that day, they could have put that on Youtube and sold a lot more cars. That's what that car invokes when driving it and it doesn't cost $250k which I'd rather spend on a condo on the beach. Sure. There are cars that handle better, are faster, have more torque and HP, but they are also a lot more money and I am not rolling in Abu Dhabi oil cash right now like some people I know.

The XJL was awesome. It fit 5 people comfortably and 8 if I was DD and there were 6 drunks in the back, but a sports car it was not. It WAS fast, but you can't compare the two.

Ironically, Ive owned dozens of Mustangs as a young adult AND an S2000 AND my mom had a Miata. The ONLY similarities are the headrest roll bars and the fact that they are two seaters. I would never mistake one for the other.
When you get your larger rims please post some pictures and comment on the performance trade off. I think the XK looks fantastic with 20" rims and it's a larger car. On another thread some members are saying larger wheels negatively effect performance...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...62/#post836540

Old 10-19-2013, 06:32 AM
DGL
Veteran Member

Here are the views I am talking about.

Similar Design Features. (Not exactly the same of course.... BUT.... very, very similar in looks)

Attachment 59054

Attachment 59055
From a distance. A long distance. Side by side, the F-type makes the Miata look like a cereal box toy. The F-type is much more substantial in looks and every other way.

Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Originally Posted by NaplesTopLess
They tried the retro look with the S-Type and with the XK and it almost drove them out of business.
Can't really be true, as the S-Type outsold the XJ and the XK by a mile. The low sales of the non-S-Type must have been a nightmare.

Anyone point me to the actual sales numbers of XJ, XK, XF in each of the last (say) 3 years?

Old 10-19-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by DGL
From a distance. A long distance. Side by side, the F-type makes the Miata look like a cereal box toy. The F-type is much more substantial in looks and every other way.

The above top to bottom comparison picture posted is not a Miata but a Honda S2000.

Last edited by BrownRobin; 10-19-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Complaint about the new F type