F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering buying certified F Type

Old 04-16-2018, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Considering buying certified F Type

Hello and thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer me. I have a 2008 MERC E350 that now has 155K miles so I think I have about run this one to the ground.
I put an order in for a Tesla M3 in April of 2016 but now as I continue to wait I am reconsidering.
I am now looking at Maserati Ghibli and Jag F Type. I would buy certified just as I did my current ride.
Does the dealer have any room to negotiate price on certified for F Type. I found that MB did have some room but do not know how to price certified with Jag.
Any general thoughts on Jag from a model year comparison on what to possibly avoid?
Pretty sure I will go with something ~2 years old with less than 20K miles.
Any thoughts or insights are appreciated.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

CPOs are nothing more than a used car with a manufacturer's warranty so naturally they can all be negotiated regardless of the manufacture. The Tesla and the Ghibli are quite different as they both have a back seat the F-Type lacks so not even in the same category. Current wholesale/Manheim numbers for a '08 E350 is between $4,700 to $6,000 with between 110K & 130K miles on their ODOs

Old 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by ndabunka
CPOs are nothing more than a used car with a manufacturer's warranty so naturally they can all be negotiated regardless of the manufacture. The Tesla and the Ghibli are quite different as they both have a back seat the F-Type lacks so not even in the same category. Current wholesale/Manheim numbers for a '08 E350 is between $4,700 to $6,000 with between 110K & 130K miles on their ODOs
yes. I know I am all over the place with my current choices. I have had my eye on F type and then this past Saturday while wine tasting in Napa I saw a beautiful red convertible. That really got me thinking.

The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-16-2018)
Old 04-16-2018, 07:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, 3 VERY different cars.
The CPO cars at Jaguar likely have room for haggle. In Canada they also qualify for dealer incentives and reduced financing and leasing rates.

I’m guessing the Ghilbi wont be nearly as interesting as the Jag to drive, and both wont be electric like the Tesla.

Of the three the Jaguar is the oldest platform and likely most “sorted”. But if you want room for four, and the sex appeal of a Jaguar, have you considered the new iPace? Its pricey, but very cool and its electric. I think they will be hitting dealer lots soon-ish.

I went Jaguar F Type R, but rarely drive mine and fuel economy is not a big deal. Lots of people have opted for the V6S and are very happy with the horse power and performance they get. the basic utility of the car is the same no matter what engine you choose and the engines and transmissions are all “known” entities, so there shouldn’t be any teething problems.

Last edited by BlackPenquinn; 04-16-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:09 PM
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought mine barely used 931 miles, and the Jaguar extended warranty eliminated any concerns I had about condition. Now with 8k miles, it has been confirmed, and is being serviced quite satisfactorily by Cole in WC, near you. Have fun! See you in the Wine Country, or at the Blackhawk museum.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Kierants
Any general thoughts on Jag from a model year comparison on what to possibly avoid?
There haven't been much in the way of changes on the F types so there isn't a particular "year to avoid" or "year to prefer" IMO. I have a 2014 CPO that's been flawless.

There have been some minor issues that MAY have been addressed since the F type's introduction; insulation on the rear springs, quarter panel to rocker movement, updated window felts, maybe a change to the HVAC vent raising motor......nothing too significant IMO.

There continue to be ongoing issues with O2 sensors, Battery problems, active exhaust switches and a couple other typical warranty type repairs.

The only big ones would be: If you want AWD that eliminates the early years. If you want a V6 with a manual tranny there have been a couple clutch revisions that you'd want to be aware of (sorry don't remember the years, but there is a big thread here) and lastly the infotainment center has been updated in the newest cars - early cars had some complaints with speaker rattle etc. on the Meridian system. I haven't noticed anything but I tend to drive with the stereo off and listening to the engine.

Hope this helps,

Dave

Old 04-19-2018, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by 16fnrbrg
I bought mine barely used 931 miles, and the Jaguar extended warranty eliminated any concerns I had about condition. Now with 8k miles, it has been confirmed, and is being serviced quite satisfactorily by Cole in WC, near you. Have fun! See you in the Wine Country, or at the Blackhawk museum.
Thank you for your response. Is there a way to gauge what level I may be able to negotiate from initial offer on a certified vehicle?
Think I may need to visit Cole this weekend.................

Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

The CPO warranty adds about $1900 to the cost of the car. So work that into you negotiations.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 209 Likes on 186 Posts

I don't know how you cross shop a Ghibli and a F Type. We have both and they are apples and oranges.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:25 PM

I do. When I was last in the market, it was E Cab, F- Type, A5. Best deal wins. I will say the word of mouth on the Ghibli is not positive.

Old 04-20-2018, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

I'm on my second Ghibli, much nicer than early '14 we had. That said this is an enjoyable car for someone that is a car enthuisiast and wants some thing non German.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:43 PM

I bought the Peugeot to be different, non-German. Once distinct mistake. The worst built quality imaginable. A Yugo would have been better built. It was actually in the shop once a month for three straight years. The Ghibli doesn't seem to be going over very well. Last summer I heard the inventory was through the roof and the dealers were giving them away. Sad to say Maserati was a great marque when I was growing up. The original Ghibli was one of the most beautiful cars of all time.

ndabunka (04-20-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 PM
Received 673 Likes on 486 Posts

Funny story was driving down the freeway a few months back and a guy driving a Maserati kept coming up next to me and dropping back. I hit the exhaust switch bypassing the mufflers and revved the engine a couple times, he dropped back and kept on dropping. He vanished in my rear view mirror. (we were in traffic so I sure as hell wasn't going to race him). It was pretty funny though.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,635 Likes on 3,358 Posts

Originally Posted by bjg625
I'm on my second Ghibli, much nicer than early '14 we had. That said this is an enjoyable car for someone that is a car enthuisiast and wants some thing non German.
According to my original price sticker, my F-Type is 55% German.

Don1954 (04-26-2018)
Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

I was referring to the Ghibli, definitly Italian, some unique quirks. The higher output models are definitly fun and have the sound and handling options. I owned a very good AMG and this car is just different.

Old 04-21-2018, 12:28 PM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
There haven't been much in the way of changes on the F types so there isn't a particular "year to avoid" or "year to prefer" IMO. I have a 2014 CPO that's been flawless.

There have been some minor issues that MAY have been addressed since the F type's introduction; insulation on the rear springs, quarter panel to rocker movement, updated window felts, maybe a change to the HVAC vent raising motor......nothing too significant IMO.

There continue to be ongoing issues with O2 sensors, Battery problems, active exhaust switches and a couple other typical warranty type repairs.

The only big ones would be: If you want AWD that eliminates the early years. If you want a V6 with a manual tranny there have been a couple clutch revisions that you'd want to be aware of (sorry don't remember the years, but there is a big thread here) and lastly the infotainment center has been updated in the newest cars - early cars had some complaints with speaker rattle etc. on the Meridian system. I haven't noticed anything but I tend to drive with the stereo off and listening to the engine.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Also, there was a significant change in 2016 with the F-Type R, changed from rear wheel drive to AWD. If you track the car, or run in snow, or are one to stomp on it, I think you would want the AWD. Note; there is a beautiful Silver / with red interior for sale over on Rennlist in classifieds asking in the $70s on a $112 MSRP car. Like many of us, I would prefer to buy from an enthusiast.

ndabunka (04-21-2018)
Old 04-21-2018, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
Also, there was a significant change in 2016 with the F-Type R, changed from rear wheel drive to AWD. If you track the car, or run in snow, or are one to stomp on it, I think you would want the AWD. Note; there is a beautiful Silver / with red interior for sale over on Rennlist in classifieds asking in the $70s on a $112 MSRP car. Like many of us, I would prefer to buy from an enthusiast.
That's what I meant when I said "if you want AWD you'll have to avoid the earlier years". ....personally I prefer the RWD; I stomp on it, may do a track day but the car will never see snow as long as I own it.

Cheers,
Dave