Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a coupe and looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 04:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,595 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
If you are wondering whether you'll be satisfied with the power of the stock V6S, you probably won't be. With a fully tuned and pullied V6 of any trim, you will be, unless you've already gotten used to the R.
Just for the record...some of us are*. Satisfied in (many) more ways than one.

Having said that, variety is the spice of life and thank goodness there are frontiersman like you Lance blazing a trail for many Forum members in the never ending quest for more power!

*And, yes, I know you were referring to the OP who it sounds (reads) like he clearly will not be satisfied - based on numerous posts - with the 6 or 6S.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 09-28-2017 at 04:38 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 05:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,649 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
*And, yes, I know you were referring to the OP who it sounds (reads) like he clearly will not be satisfied - based on numerous posts - with the 6 or 6S.
Exactly. If he's wondering straight out of the gate, it's going to be problematic for him.

Old 09-28-2017, 07:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xoai
I drove both and actually prefer the RWD in most situations. Once you get the hang of it, you really know where the limits are through lower-speed turns and how much you can let the back loose. The trade-off is that I’d never trust it going high-speed through, say, an interchange merge.
Thanks, that's a lot of food for thought. Highway on and off ramps are one of the very few places I would actually have the opportunity to open the car up (legally speaking), and this is where my current 328i coupe w/ tune excels and is the most fun. I do see reviewers on YouTube really put the pedal down on the R and haven't really seen anyone really lose control of the car in the meantime (not including track videos). I know I would most likely configure the dynamics to leave the engine in standard mode for that tiny extra bit of safety.

My BMW feels really quick in 70% of the situations I mash on the gas. The V6S is no doubt faster and probably will be quick enough 85% percent of the time. I have yet to test drive an R, but I'm pretty confident it will be fasstt in every situation I decide to burn some gas.

I've seen two 2015 R's going for about $63k right now that come with Meridian Surround standard. The cheapest 2015 S with Surround is like $59k, (plus the $1k for the ECU tune which I would 100% get once the factory warranty runs out and I get an extended warranty). An S w/ tune is truly what I want (I highly doubt I would feel the need for the pulley), but there are so few used cars with the Design Pack on the market and the year of waiting until the factory warranty expires would probably annoy me to death.

A 2016 S AWD will give me the design pack, 770W, and updated infotainment but costs the same as a 2015 R. Going with a 2016 is definitely the smartest route especially with having the longer factory warranty, but that just means longer to wait to get a tune

Last edited by intotheblue; 09-28-2017 at 07:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Damn man make up your mind

Has this gone on long enough fellows?

I think so.

Perhaps he should look at a Vette and chat with those guys about what he should he buy.

Vette guys don't wear Connelly Leather pants though. They go for denim.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Don1954

I think so.

Perhaps he should look at a Vette and chat with those guys about what he should he buy.

Way to be an a-hole for no reason. I don't know what you do for a living (nor do I care), but I'm not going to have my $25k down payment saved up overnight, plus when buying used it takes a while to find my dream car with the color and options I want, so I've got nothing but time right now to dream about what I want. Chill out

Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 958 Likes on 717 Posts

What's wrong with denim? It's my daily choice, pants-wise. I only wear leather pants for motorcycling, and it's not fashion weight.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by intotheblue
A 2016 S AWD will give me the design pack, 770W, and updated infotainment but costs the same as a 2015 R. Going with a 2016 is definitely the smartest route especially with having the longer factory warranty, but that just means longer to wait to get a tune
Couple things:

1) Aren't the design pack and 770W audio standard on the R?

2) The updated infotainment doesn't offer anything more than the older one. It's just arranged to be a little more user-friendly and looks prettier. Unfortunately, it's just as slow and after you've got everything customized, you'll rarely ever touch it.

Between the two, the choice for me would be easy. AWD matters a lot, but it matters more in the V8. You'd also have less need for a tune.

Old 09-29-2017, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by xoai
Couple things:

1) Aren't the design pack and 770W audio standard on the R?

2) The updated infotainment doesn't offer anything more than the older one. It's just arranged to be a little more user-friendly and looks prettier. Unfortunately, it's just as slow and after you've got everything customized, you'll rarely ever touch it.

Between the two, the choice for me would be easy. AWD matters a lot, but it matters more in the V8. You'd also have less need for a tune.
1. Yes, standard on 2015 R and 2016 S AWD.

2. Therein lies the problem, unless another amazing deal comes around, I can only afford a 2015 R RWD or a 2016 S AWD since they're about the same price.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,649 Likes on 3,362 Posts

I think so.

Costco doesn't carry leather pants, so I have to make do with their denim.

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (10-02-2017)