F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a coupe and looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SCMike
Why resist? You know you need the "R". Why even bother with all this "tuning" rigamarole? The "R" - right out of the box with a 5 or 6 year warranty. At least, that's what I said to SWMBO, who rolled her eyes and said "yeah...".
It all comes down to price. The current cheapest 2015 R is $65k (happens to be CPO). I'll get whatever is closest to $53.5k by March, which is my target for a $600 monthly payment for 5 years with a $20k down payment (I want a piece of cake monthly payment in case there's any flux in the job market).

I'm not confident that a $12k drop in price in less than a year is realistic, but I'm hopeful that the release of the 4 cylinder F-Type has an impact on the used car market since it lowers the price of entry, and hence increases overall F-Type sales. The downside being the Jag is less rare on the roads.

Old 08-19-2017, 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,261 Likes on 2,407 Posts

I'm with our friend intotheblue, I really wanted an R but here in Oz the price differential between an S and and R is huge, around $40 - $50k for a two or three year old example, and I simply could not afford an R. When my current S came up at a bargain price just within my budget, with nearly all the options I wanted, I jumped at it.
That's not to say I still don't lust after an R but they would need to drop another $50k before I would be tempted.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I'm with our friend intotheblue, I really wanted an R but here in Oz the price differential between an S and and R is huge, around $40 - $50k for a two or three year old example, and I simply could not afford an R. When my current S came up at a bargain price just within my budget, with nearly all the options I wanted, I jumped at it.
That's not to say I still don't lust after an R but they would need to drop another $50k before I would be tempted.
Wow, it's currently about a $15k difference in the US between a 2015 S and R. I've been starting to watch R videos today on YouTube...big mistake because I know the price isn't going to drop where I want anytime soon.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 AM

Concerning the V6 S, can anyone make a case for or against AWD? What would the affect on the seat of the pants feeling?

Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by intotheblue
Concerning the V6 S, can anyone make a case for or against AWD? What would the affect on the seat of the pants feeling?
pm sent

Old 08-20-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

There is a lot of talk about seat of the pants feeling.
Can this be enhanced by leather pants?

The following users liked this post:
Don1954 (09-29-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

RWD F-type has issues with traction, you can't go WOT from standing still. For example, last night I was returning from track day, car was still in the track mode with everything off. I was turning from side road onto highway and went too heavy on throttle. Ended up doing rolling burnout. With warm tires on a dry pavement.

If you intend on hooning, RWD is a must.

AWD largely solves this problem, you can put down power from standstill more efficiently. BUT the car is heavier and all this weight is at the front and that compromises handling. I personally prefer RWD, even if AWD F-type is likely faster in corners and faster off the line.

Don1954 (09-29-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
RWD F-type has issues with traction, you can't go WOT from standing still. For example, last night I was returning from track day, car was still in the track mode with everything off. I was turning from side road onto highway and went too heavy on throttle. Ended up doing rolling burnout. With warm tires on a dry pavement.

If you intend on hooning, RWD is a must.

AWD largely solves this problem, you can put down power from standstill more efficiently. BUT the car is heavier and all this weight is at the front and that compromises handling. I personally prefer RWD, even if AWD F-type is likely faster in corners and faster off the line.
This is honestly the first time I've heard of issues in the dry with RWD on a V6 S. This is alleviated with traction control on though correct?

The 0-60 numbers for the AWD look to be .1 second slower, so I guess the weight really suffers. Obviously not a big deal, but some AWD cars are significantly quicker than their RWD counterpart.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,305 Likes on 897 Posts

I prefer the RWD to drive, it feels much lighter at the front end though I've only driven the AWD on the track and some reviewers thought the AWD was better.

Traction isnt so much an issue in the RWD that it interferes with launch like it does in the XKR, but it will step out if you give it the beans, even in normal mode. I think they are designed to.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I prefer the RWD to drive, it feels much lighter at the front end though I've only driven the AWD on the track and some reviewers thought the AWD was better.

Traction isnt so much an issue in the RWD that it interferes with launch like it does in the XKR, but it will step out if you give it the beans, even in normal mode. I think they are designed to.
Thanks. I think in order to be the most realistic price-wise I'll stick to a V6 S RWD with the Design Pack (unless I find a great deal on an R).

I just posted up a new thread about whether getting the 380W sound system and adding in my own 12" sub would suffice vs the 770W as that helps me stay within a better budget. Anyone have any thoughts of that here?

Old 08-20-2017, 07:50 PM

While I would prefer a 2016 White V6 S with Design Pack and silver wheels, if this car happens to be available in 2 months I think I'll get it. Green is tied for my 2nd fave color, unique interior color, has all the other options I want; vision pack; pano roof; Meridian Surround; and I can live with the black wheels. Aftermarket extended warranty will cost $5000 for 4 years and I should have less grief with buying the VAP tune.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=180485800

Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

This is honestly the first time I've heard of issues in the dry with RWD on a V6 S. This is alleviated with traction control on though correct?
Yes, but the car does this buy cutting your throttle and pulsing brakes. This makes you slower. Better tires help, but not solve this problem. With Pzeroes I could spin rear tires in second and on a cold day in third. That is, unless you are accustomed to driving muscle cars, you need AWD. You can't just mash throttle on RWD. Most people just mash throttle.

Last edited by SinF; 08-20-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:58 PM

Yes, but the car does this buy cutting your throttle and pulsing brakes. This makes you slower. Better tires help, but not solve this problem. With Pzeroes I could spin rear tires in second and on a cold day in third. That is, unless you are accustomed to driving muscle cars, you need AWD. You can't just mash throttle on RWD. Most people just mash throttle.
Ok, it'll be something to take into account, but price will most likely steer me towards RWD unless I get lucky.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
There is a lot of talk about seat of the pants feeling.
Can this be enhanced by leather pants?
The cow likely would not think so.......

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

I am trying to scientifically quantify the "seat of the pants feelin"
I think its G-forces on the prostate.

This could be bigger than BodyArmor and Yoga pants.
Yoga pants with transducers.
We can save the environment.

I have a working title: G-Force Direct Injection

Don1954 (09-29-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 10:15 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Yes, but the car does this buy cutting your throttle and pulsing brakes.
I've never found traction control to be invasive, at least not on dry pavement. Never felt it cut the throttle that I can recall. I'm guessing the LSD grabs before TC kicks in?

Old 08-21-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Traction control on this car is really well designed, even when it goes all-out correcting you might not notice it with a car equipped with an automatic gearbox. Because I drive MT, I have more direct feedback into what the drive train does.

If you are an adventurous type, try following. First, stomp on accelerator from stand still on a flat dry road. Watch the car just go. Second, turn traction control completely off (hold button for 10 seconds), then stomp on your accelerator. You immediately will see what traction control does.

However, be careful as in second case the rear will become loose, this will point your car sideways and rapidly push you that direction if you lift off accelerator. Very easy to end up in a skid and there is no traction control to bail you out. That is, to correct you need to gradually reduce throttle while counter steering or you will risk ending up in a ditch/wall.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Difference between V6S with LSD and V6 without one is what happens when your tires spin. V6 will spin one tire (and then traction control intervenes) and V6S spins both tires (and then traction control intervenes). On RWD car LSD is a must.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:07 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,149 Likes on 1,439 Posts

In regards to coupe vs. convertible, the convertible is better for eclipse viewing.

Don1954 (09-29-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 02:44 PM
Veteran Member

On my lunatic v8 R, the throttle is cut, or it would burn the clutches in the Ediff.
It also reduces throttle between shifts.