F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continued coolant smell

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 09:12 AM
Received 87 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Continued coolant smell

To me a coolant leak is noticeable by the smell. I have a 2016 R model and had the overflow tank already replaced. There was a TSB on that item which the dealer claimed was the result of my coolant smell and slight loss of coolant. Every since it has been replaced, I still get that same mild smell of coolant. The coolant pipes are the OEM from when the car was purchased and I know they are usually the source of coolant leaks. I continually watch the coolant level and don't see any decrease in the expansion tank. Anything else I can look for to see where the smell is coming from? I have an extended warranty for another 2 years and really do not want to replace the coolant pipes on my dime if I don't have to.

Old 02-14-2023, 09:40 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,395 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Maybe some coolant was spilt during the tank replacement and you're smelling that residue?

Old 02-14-2023, 09:58 AM

I hoped that was the case but it was a couple months back it was replaced and I still get the smell. I just checked the expansion tank and it is full. Just cannot get over the constant smell when I park it in the garage. Call me paranoid but I can clearly smell coolant.

Old 02-14-2023, 02:02 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,078 Likes on 1,380 Posts

The water pump would be the other likely culprit. Mine was weeping when I had the OEM coolant pipes replaced, so they replaced that too.

The following users liked this post:
Carbuff2 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 04:35 PM
Received 268 Likes on 173 Posts
Default Do the coolant pipes!

I would bet that the OE flanged coolant pipes are the culprit here. Besides being plastic in an engine compartment, they are seamed and have the tendency to just shatter at removal. Since you have the warranty, ask how soon they can be replaced (not if). There are plenty of posts substantiating pipe replacement.. The new style plastic pipes are solid and now Euro Amp has aluminum ones. The huge expense comes in because the supercharger has to come out to get to the lower pipes. You also may want to ask to have the supercharger oil changed. JLR says 100,000 miles, but it's easy do do if the SC is out already. I had all this done under factory warranty, including a new water pump and the SC oil Since then, I bought a set of Euro Amp's aluminum pipes just in case. The issue is that the coolant leaks out, corrodes other parts that it drips on and makes them nearly impossible to remove.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:30 PM

Well my 2016 only has 18k on the clock so from a mileage standpoint it is minimal. I would think whether from the coolant pipes or water pump you would see the expansion tank coolant level dip and it hasn't. Both local dealers SUCK and are not easy to work with at all. My cousin works for the one in Chicago where I bought the car and he was floored how bad these are in AZ. I don't think the dealer will back that anything needs to be replaced until it is very apparent there is a leak. I feel like I am either stuck riding it out to see if/when the problem reveals itself or pay for the replacement myself which I will not do since that is why I bought the warranty.

Old 02-14-2023, 05:35 PM
no1
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Whatsnext
I hoped that was the case but it was a couple months back it was replaced and I still get the smell. I just checked the expansion tank and it is full. Just cannot get over the constant smell when I park it in the garage. Call me paranoid but I can clearly smell coolant.
not paranoid over the last week I've been noticing the same thing on my jag. Even if the car is just sitting at an idle I stsrt to smell coolant but the tank is full and I can't see anywhere its leaking. I think my next step is going to be removing the under trays to see if they are hiding the source of the leak

Old 02-14-2023, 10:00 PM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I’ve had a coolant smell for the three years since I’ve had the car also. I just changed out everything with the EuroAmp kit, the Y pipe looked like new, looked like the leak was from the water pump. I never had to add coolant either

Carbuff2 (02-15-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 09:39 AM

How can there be a leak at the water pump and not see a decrease in coolant in the expansion tank? I don't consider myself overly mechanically inclined but have done the bulk of the work on my cars since the 80's. I am asking because as of now I continually look at my expansion tank as a gauge to see if in fact I am losing coolant. I would hate to ruin the motor by somehow overlooking something simple. And as mentioned I have an extended warranty and don't want to replace anything out of my own pocket if I have to-defeats the warranty.

Old 02-17-2023, 10:09 AM
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

In my case it was such a small leak that it was just a faint coolant smell occasionally, so it didn’t lose enough to get below the minimum line. I’m sure if I monitored it a little closer I would have noticed the level decreasing

Old 02-18-2023, 12:09 AM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

I purchased a 2014 V8 S with 39k miles last fall, drove for 2 weeks before storing for the winter. After all the cases here on on FaceBook with people stranded and steam coming out from under the hood; I thought I would embark on the preventative maintenance - replacing upper and lower pipes, rear heater cross-over, water pump, thermostat housing, and a couple other pipes. I hadn't any coolant smell; but i don't like this kind of failure possibility hanging over my head.

While I did NOT notice a coolant smell; I have found lots of evidence of leaking. The rear heater crossover shows signs of seepage. Lower crossover appeared to be mostly rotted off - leaving the both bottom o-rings and lower pipe pieces in top of engine block. More, there was about an 1/8 inch orange goo mess under water pump assembly - clear evidence of slow leak over time cooking off and leaving waste sludge behind. Cleaned that up. Starting to put things together now. I am very happy I undertook this preventive maintenance. It showed a history of leaking and I would expect it to leave me stranded at some point in near future had I not done this.

The following 5 users liked this post by blgN8:
Carbuff2 (02-18-2023), Cirving (02-18-2023), djyankees31 (02-18-2023), Simonusa0 (02-18-2023), Valerie Stabenow (02-19-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 07:49 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Valerie,
how did you persuade your dealer to replace at no cost to you the faulty design outlet lower and upper coolant pipes with the updated ones BEFORE they started leaking?
I'm well aware of the technicalities of the issue and know its a matter of time on my 2017 F-Pace and I have only couple of months left on CPO warranty (my F-Type leaked and was done under the basic warranty).

Old 02-18-2023, 02:11 PM
Received 268 Likes on 173 Posts

to get all this replaced took a positive attitude, TONS of owner experiences printed off this forum and a really good tech at my JLR dealer who made the case for me. It didn't hurt that early on I had researched why my door and grab handle LEDs did not light up and provided the solution for him.

First I researched exactly when my car was built... > late 2016

Did it have the flanged pipes > yes

I quoted posts that talked about brittle pipes, and how just touching them would make them fall apart. How the seepage, however small, and not really noticeable, would drip and possibly corrode other parts. How the seepage DID drip and corrode other parts. You have proof with your other vehicle. I don't know what it takes to get work done under CPO. But put all your evidence together and give it a shot. If you DON'T, then you already know the answer, the worst they can say is no.. then ask them why not and maybe have them prove to you it's NOT leaking????? and if CPO doesn't cover this then what?? wait til your garage floor is flooded with coolant?? and your injectors are rusted in place?

The tech has to be reasonably convinced there is an issue and s/he has to make the case with the SM to be able to do the work and submit it to JLR. Once it was determined that it would be covered, I didn't push any further.. (let sleeping dogs lie) and didn't ask where the leak/seep was found.

I also got a new water pump (there was a revised model out) and some type of related pipe.

I was ready to pay for this (gulp!) because what I also really wanted was to have the SuperCharger oil replaced (5 years old). I provided the tech with the research saying that the SC oil was replaceable and it didn't hurt that he was old school and didn't believe the new BS about oils being good for 100,000 miles. he also had another identical SC that was out of the vehicle so he could see what was involved with drain and replace. Not much, as the SC had to come out to get to the lower pipes. The crazy part was when he put my SC back in, it sounded like the Can O' Marbles syndrome and so ordered a new one. That new one also sounded bad, so he ordered a second replacement. that one was good and is in the car. I drove it the remainder of 2022 (got car back March, 2022) with no issues.

I did go ahead and order Euro-amps aluminum pipes to put on the shelf for the future (hoping not, but needing to be realistic) I am still mystified why any one would think plastic pipes, carrying hot liquid in and through an engine compartment would be a good idea. I think the engineering that went into my 69 E Type was better :-)

I would search this forum.. look for my posts and you will find the others that I used to make my case. Let me know if I can provide more information.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:25 AM
no1

Originally Posted by blgN8
I purchased a 2014 V8 S with 39k miles last fall, drove for 2 weeks before storing for the winter. After all the cases here on on FaceBook with people stranded and steam coming out from under the hood; I thought I would embark on the preventative maintenance - replacing upper and lower pipes, rear heater cross-over, water pump, thermostat housing, and a couple other pipes. I hadn't any coolant smell; but i don't like this kind of failure possibility hanging over my head.

While I did NOT notice a coolant smell; I have found lots of evidence of leaking. The rear heater crossover shows signs of seepage. Lower crossover appeared to be mostly rotted off - leaving the both bottom o-rings and lower pipe pieces in top of engine block. More, there was about an 1/8 inch orange goo mess under water pump assembly - clear evidence of slow leak over time cooking off and leaving waste sludge behind. Cleaned that up. Starting to put things together now. I am very happy I undertook this preventive maintenance. It showed a history of leaking and I would expect it to leave me stranded at some point in near future had I not done this.

it saddens me that my cat is suffering from what looks like the very same issue. As posted earlier I have been smelling faint whiffs of coolant from time to time and then I seen your pics and decided to have a little poke around with my flashlight and guess what I found??? Yup that's right signs of coolant puddling up under the snout and intake.i haven't taken anything apart as of yet just wanted to have a peek. I do not have any warranty so if anyone has any recommendations on where to buy at a reasonable price replacement coolant lines that would be fantastic. Can this be bought as a full kit or am I looking at sourcing each piece individually? First image looks like it could be that little shelf area where it pools up and the second is a section of tubing that appears to be joined together by 2 hose clamps and has alot of sludge on it so I can't really tell if that's a source of the leak or it's being dripped on.
any insight would be appreciated

Old 02-19-2023, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 2,310 Posts

This kit has almost everything you need including the alu cross-over pipes at a good price and with free shipping, what's not to like!: https://euro-amp.com/products/jaguar...ipping-returns
A few here have bought and installed this kit and all have good things to say about it.
About the only thing missing is the rear heater/manifold pipe which no-one yet makes in alu but you should replace it "while you are in there", quite a few sellers around maybe including the same supplier as the linked kit.

Edit - also check out skizot's recent post about installing this kit here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post2614673
He has a few handy tips and tricks.

Last edited by OzXFR; 02-19-2023 at 02:09 AM.
no1 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 01:19 PM
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by no1
it saddens me that my cat is suffering from what looks like the very same issue. As posted earlier I have been smelling faint whiffs of coolant from time to time and then I seen your pics and decided to have a little poke around with my flashlight and guess what I found??? Yup that's right signs of coolant puddling up under the snout and intake.i haven't taken anything apart as of yet just wanted to have a peek. I do not have any warranty so if anyone has any recommendations on where to buy at a reasonable price replacement coolant lines that would be fantastic. Can this be bought as a full kit or am I looking at sourcing each piece individually? First image looks like it could be that little shelf area where it pools up and the second is a section of tubing that appears to be joined together by 2 hose clamps and has alot of sludge on it so I can't really tell if that's a source of the leak or it's being dripped on.
any insight would be appreciated

I used most of the parts from kit mentioned by @OzXFR.. and went a bit further replacing the rear heater crossover, thermostat housing (which probably never needs to be done) and taking care of supercharger coupler.

This is and excellent guide: https://classicairheads.com/blog/202...r-replacement/

FB "F-Type Owners Club" also has good resources and people have been quick to respond with help.

I find it interesting you have pic with two hose clamps. Those are not Jag parts. Looks like someone has been there before.

Last edited by blgN8; 02-19-2023 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-19-2023, 02:08 PM
no1

Originally Posted by OzXFR
This kit has almost everything you need including the alu cross-over pipes at a good price and with free shipping, what's not to like!: https://euro-amp.com/products/jaguar...ipping-returns
A few here have bought and installed this kit and all have good things to say about it.
About the only thing missing is the rear heater/manifold pipe which no-one yet makes in alu but you should replace it "while you are in there", quite a few sellers around maybe including the same supplier as the linked kit.

Edit - also check out skizot's recent post about installing this kit here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...5/#post2614673
He has a few handy tips and tricks.
awesome thank you sir. Seeing as i will be needing to remove the SC to get at everything i might as well do the SC oil, you wouldnt happen to know what oil is recommended or the highest quality oil to use (i will gladly pay top dollar rather than get cheap-o product and pay dearly for it later). Thanks again

Old 02-19-2023, 02:18 PM
no1

Originally Posted by blgN8
I used most of the parts from kit mentioned by @OzXFR.. and went a bit further replacing the rear heater crossover, thermostat housing (which probably never needs to be done) and taking care of supercharger coupler.

This is and excellent guide: https://classicairheads.com/blog/202...r-replacement/

FB "F-Type Owners Club" also has good resources and people have been quick to respond with help.

I find it interesting you have pic with two hose clamps. Those are not Jag parts. Looks like someone has been there before.
it's funny you mention that about those clamps. Ive been fixing, upgrading and investigating all over on this car since i bought it and when i seen those hose clamps my first thought was "now that doesn't look like oem fitment to me. Despite the clean carfax report that came with the car it's pretty evident that it's been in some sort of front end collision
I have found so many broken and plastic welded parts all the way down to the frame on the front left side including the hood that is bent downwards slightly and can visually see some sort of botched repair to it so i wouldnt at all be surprised if those clamps are a result of the "non collision" lol. Is that normally just one solid piece of tubing or is it where there is a joint or connection and they just threw on whatever they could find?

Old 02-19-2023, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 2,310 Posts

Originally Posted by no1
awesome thank you sir. Seeing as i will be needing to remove the SC to get at everything i might as well do the SC oil, you wouldnt happen to know what oil is recommended or the highest quality oil to use (i will gladly pay top dollar rather than get cheap-o product and pay dearly for it later). Thanks again
Here is the one that many/most use with no problems: https://superchargersonline.com/prod...ulk-fill-8-oz/

no1 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 08:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Valerie Stabenow
to get all this replaced took a positive attitude, TONS of owner experiences printed off this forum and a really good tech at my JLR dealer who made the case for me. It didn't hurt that early on I had researched why my door and grab handle LEDs did not light up and provided the solution for him.

First I researched exactly when my car was built... > late 2016

Did it have the flanged pipes > yes

I quoted posts that talked about brittle pipes, and how just touching them would make them fall apart. How the seepage, however small, and not really noticeable, would drip and possibly corrode other parts. How the seepage DID drip and corrode other parts. You have proof with your other vehicle. I don't know what it takes to get work done under CPO. But put all your evidence together and give it a shot. If you DON'T, then you already know the answer, the worst they can say is no.. then ask them why not and maybe have them prove to you it's NOT leaking????? and if CPO doesn't cover this then what?? wait til your garage floor is flooded with coolant?? and your injectors are rusted in place?

The tech has to be reasonably convinced there is an issue and s/he has to make the case with the SM to be able to do the work and submit it to JLR. Once it was determined that it would be covered, I didn't push any further.. (let sleeping dogs lie) and didn't ask where the leak/seep was found.

I also got a new water pump (there was a revised model out) and some type of related pipe.

I was ready to pay for this (gulp!) because what I also really wanted was to have the SuperCharger oil replaced (5 years old). I provided the tech with the research saying that the SC oil was replaceable and it didn't hurt that he was old school and didn't believe the new BS about oils being good for 100,000 miles. he also had another identical SC that was out of the vehicle so he could see what was involved with drain and replace. Not much, as the SC had to come out to get to the lower pipes. The crazy part was when he put my SC back in, it sounded like the Can O' Marbles syndrome and so ordered a new one. That new one also sounded bad, so he ordered a second replacement. that one was good and is in the car. I drove it the remainder of 2022 (got car back March, 2022) with no issues.

I did go ahead and order Euro-amps aluminum pipes to put on the shelf for the future (hoping not, but needing to be realistic) I am still mystified why any one would think plastic pipes, carrying hot liquid in and through an engine compartment would be a good idea. I think the engineering that went into my 69 E Type was better :-)

I would search this forum.. look for my posts and you will find the others that I used to make my case. Let me know if I can provide more information.
Valerie,
a big thank you for the comprehensive and informative advice which I've noted. On my F-Pace it seems the dealership found a weep in the connection of the vent hose (T4A1783) from the reservoir to the header tank so probably that's the current source of the leak not the plastic outlet pipe. They are correct when they say it's not covered by CPO as 'hoses' are excluded. That's easily accessible and probably only takes 15-30 minutes to replace and $49 part cost (Dealer quoted $399 with 1.7hrs labor). I will post that to the forum once I pick up the part and do it.

They also quoted my a big number $ to do the coolant pipe/hose fixes under the S/C at my cost saying they would not be covered under the CPO warranty (presumably using the 'hoses' exclusion). If needed because of another failure or to your point about getting this done before failure, I'll be having a fireside chat with the Service Manager/Claims Advisor about what (flexible) 'hoses' and and what hard molded pipe components are. We have a working relationship from past service and warranty discussions.

Sadly not all dealerships are as willing to work hand in hand with the Customer or as receptive to additional information as yours.....or even allow you to talk directly to the technician. There's a lot more of my own experience that I will not post. Dealerships don't get paid by JLR anywhere near the rates they charge for repairs when they do warranty work therefore not as profitable and that creates a conflict with their business interests vs. the best interests of the customer.

Great to join this forum and thanks again.

Quick Reply: Continued coolant smell