F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer support with InControl

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Received 139 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Dealer support with InControl

I just recently purchased my 2016 F type and tried to set up the inControl app but since it's registered to someone else I was instructed to go to the dealership to get it set up. I went to the Chantilly, VA Jaguar dealership/service shop and one of the shop managers gave me a ton of excuses about why he couldn't help me that day, that his tech were out, blah blah, and then he said it would cost $195 and takes about 2-3 hours..... really? it takes that long to change the name, email, address, and other basic information to get it registered to someone else?

Old 02-12-2021, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by datriani
I just recently purchased my 2016 F type and tried to set up the inControl app but since it's registered to someone else I was instructed to go to the dealership to get it set up. I went to the Chantilly, VA Jaguar dealership/service shop and one of the shop managers gave me a ton of excuses about why he couldn't help me that day, that his tech were out, blah blah, and then he said it would cost $195 and takes about 2-3 hours..... really? it takes that long to change the name, email, address, and other basic information to get it registered to someone else?
Horrid dealer. Contact Jaguar of West Columbia (MD) for a quote. May be worth the drive.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did this on my 16 R. I didn’t need to go to a dealership. I just called the Jaguar number for in control and they set it up remotely. Just had to go to the car and press a couple buttons

Old 02-12-2021, 12:24 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

In the UK one of the sales reps at my local dealer did it free and I didn't even buy the car there. It took her about 15mins. Involved entering my details in a computer then pressing one of the buttons on the overhead console.

The following users liked this post:
Cosshog (02-22-2021)
Old 02-12-2021, 08:03 PM
Received 96 Likes on 50 Posts

I just did this last week with my used 2017 R. I called my local dealership and they asked for the last 8 numbers of the VIN, name, and address. I could hear him tap a few keys on his computer and in 10 seconds he said, "Done. Upload the APP on your phone and it will take you through the process."
No cost, No hassle. Took all of 5 minutes to upload the App, push the button on the car to sink, and ready to go! Works perfectly!
My car is still under warranty, which may be the reason it didn't cost me anything.
I received a notice when I signed up that mine expires in July 2022. I expect there will be a fee to continue it.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:04 PM

Really appreciate everyone chiming with their personal stories and additional information. I'm going to give another dealership a call this week and will report back. We should start a list of dealers with recommended service managers.... nothing negative just a list of the ones we would recommend.

Old 02-15-2021, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by datriani
Really appreciate everyone chiming with their personal stories and additional information. I'm going to give another dealership a call this week and will report back. We should start a list of dealers with recommended service managers.... nothing negative just a list of the ones we would recommend.
do not go to a dealer !! Call Jaguar CS and they will reset it for you at no cost. You’ll have to be in your car and confirm by pushing a few buttons in it and that’s that. Had to do this twice with CPO Ftypes. Annddd there is a huge weakness in the incontrol setup. I have two 17cpos now but returned a 16 lease and checked the app 1 year later ... could see the car location and remote unlock it/start it. Saw the journeys on it and the whole smash. Had to have them manually remove from my acct. Huge safety risk IMO.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:37 PM

Awesome, will do. Thanks for the info and heads up on the security risk.

Old 02-15-2021, 07:29 PM
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

They did it for me for free, took 15-20 mins.

It's cool but I was pleasantly disappointed to learn that there is no remote start (and thus no cabin temperature control) on the 6MT's.. which was the main draw for me.

Old 02-16-2021, 06:37 PM

I called customer service today and after about 30 minutes the first time and 15 minutes the 2nd time, still wasn't able to get my InControl set up but I'm not too mad because they were both very nice and tried to help as much as they could. Hopefully it'll get resolved by tomorrow but pretty happy that you guys told me to just call customer service.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:02 PM

Thanks everyone for the advice and insight. I was able to get everything set up and working. I just recently purchased a device that allows me to open my garage from my phone so now I can wake up, open the garage and start the car all from my phone.... a dream come true!!