F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you daily your F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Technically it's not my daily driver since I don't take it to work but I've had it since August 2015 and I've put over 18,000 miles on it. I drive it every chance I get not counting snow days.

Old 03-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Daily driver except when it snows. 25k on it. No real problems. 20+mpg commuting unless I take the back way home in the summer when a single trip in Dynamic mode cuts the mileage to 17 or less for the tank.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I daily drive my S and in fact it is my primary winter car. I have the 20" tornados and I put a set of snow tires on and it goes fine as long as the snow isn't too deep.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:59 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

I do not drive mine daily. I store it away mid November and unwrap it in April (a couple more weeks!). Those few nice weather months remaining, I drive it to work once in a while, if not raining, I am able to park away from most of the cars. Not uncommon for me to get home and take a quick drive after dinner on some back roads. I drive it most of the weekend, again assuming fair weather and I don't have to go anywhere I would not want to drive/park it. For the most part I never have the top up. Yes, I know, fair weather driver, why have it, and so on. I love driving it, and I hope to give it away in my will, as does my son

Old 03-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Here in southern England we declare a national state of emergency and stockpile food whenever we have 2mm of settled snow. With 3mm we board up our houses and flee to regional civil defence bunkers to ride it out... so I only have experience of driving my RWD R in the sort of weather that qualifies as "mild summer" in Toronto.

I do drive it regularly in cold wet conditions though. It's a pooled daily driver with my X351 and XJR depending on whether I need to carry passengers or cargo, whether the noise could be anti-social, or often based on where I will need to park it. I am not a particularly skilled driver but have not had any problem keeping it controlled even when 'testing' the black stripe emitters in an empty carpark. You will be much better suited to judge that side of things though.

As a comfortable car to drive I found the R a lot better than I thought I would. In standard drive mode it is effortless and not harsh (even on roads that only see maintenance every 15-20 years), and you do not feel beaten up when you get to your destination. My longest single trips have been about 3 hours without a break. With the R you will be able to tweak which elements of the car you want to respond to the dynamic mode switch (configurable dynamics is an option on the S) so you choose whether to firm the suspension, tighten steering, etc., to suit your preferences.

It is hard to find places to park it over here because our standard parking spaces are sized for small horses and we place 6ft width restrictors absolutely everywhere (often followed by sharp bends with high kerbs designed to destroy alloy wheels). The low seating position and very wide sills mean you need to open the doors quite wide to swing your legs in and out (if you are very tall you will probably need them fully open), which requires wide parking spaces and low kerbs.

A note on that seating position - if you (or passengers) have a bad back or knees you might struggle with the access if you use it regularly. My father finds it difficult to get in an out of the passenger side as there is little to grab hold of. I find the visibility ok (I'm 5' 10") but it takes a while to learn the front corners and rear width. The reverse traffic detection is very useful for car park manoeuvres if you find or spec a car with it.

It is also worth noting that neither engine is quiet on start up (although quickly placing into a driving gear will limit the roar to a short bark). If you set off to work early in the morning and have neighbours they might not appreciate the glorious roaring. I try not to take my F-Type into residential areas where I would be starting it before 8am or after 10pm. It's fun to be loud sometimes, but more often than not I just want to quietly get to my destination and not be a dick to my neighbours.

I personally find the original F-Type V6 design a more beautiful to look at than the V8 which looks just a tad OTT. The V6 is the car it was was designed to be, rather than one adapted from it. I ultimately chose the R because I wanted something I could play with and the deal was good, but had the manual V6 been around when I bought mine I likely would have chosen one of those instead.

I read your comments to be "I love the V6S so do I want to spend $20-30k extra for two extra tailpipes and a slight increase in performance." If you are happy they will meet your driving requirements, then as you've tested both and still love the S then go for that if you can get the spec you want. Unless you plan on drag racing, raw power is not the way to choose the car to buy. When you see a nice car you think "wow, that's beautiful" not "gosh, that's a fraction of a second faster than that other one". Both cars will get you to work comfortably and with a big smile.

Old 03-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave
Here in southern England we declare a national state of emergency and stockpile food whenever we have 2mm of settled snow. With 3mm we board up our houses and flee to regional civil defence bunkers to ride it out.
Sounds exactly like the Mordor on the Potomac area (Washington, DC)

Old 03-18-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

We had 24 inches in less than two days. F type is in the garage.

Old 03-18-2017, 05:28 PM
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Oh come on! Put some studded tires on it and have some fun!

Old 03-18-2017, 05:40 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
We moved from upstate NY. Don't miss the huge snow storms that much. The hills, lakes, and very nice driving roads; yes.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD my S AWD - just went through a nice blizzard this week in NY, and the AWD was fantastic!!!! I love this car.

The only down sides of the car, that I can personally report, are cargo/people space, and worrying about everyone else on the road hurting your beautiful car.

The part of this car that surprises me the most is the fact that it's pretty damn comfortable, even in the parts of NY that have HORRIBLE roads.

Like a very wise man once said "Don't let your dreams just be dreams - JUST DO IT!!!!"

The following users liked this post:
jetsetter883 (10-04-2020)
Old 03-19-2017, 02:53 AM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I split my commute between my F-Coupe V6 and 350cdi c-class.

In the F I get let out at junctions and generally enjoy a stress free drive and am very pleased to be returning 36mpg ... of course this can be trashed if I detour on the home route

Old 03-19-2017, 03:42 AM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

My V6S is my daily drive, but I am also glad I have a Land Rover Discovery 3 (LR3) hanging around as a spare which I drive when I need more room (people or luggage) or sometimes in very bad weather.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

Alexa - 'will it be raining tomorrow?'

'Yes Master. Please keep your Jag indoors for the day and drive your POS van dumbass."

"Oh thank you so much Alexa."

The following users liked this post:
Mbourne (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017, 06:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeYouGlad
Oh come on! Put some studded tires on it and have some fun!
My Nokians haven't sold, I've been tempted, but would need a snow plow attachment instead of sto-n-show bracket.

Last edited by jaguny; 03-19-2017 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oakville resident here, daily driver throughout the year, have Nokians on it for the winter. I went with the base, then got the tune and I am a very happy camper. Coming from an XFR, I have no regrets downsizing to the V6.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 F-Type R Coupe DD, and have made it through a Calgary winter with no problems. Blizzak's on 19" Orbits made the car better than any of the X-Drive BMW's that came before on either Blizzak's or Sotto Zeros. AWD made her stress free, although even with the snow tires, an aggressive throttle (and how can you not?) had me looking sideways out the window, so snow mode on icy roads is a good idea. As for V6 versus V8, I was planning on an AWD V6S but the R had me at "Hello"

Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2017 F Type AWD S. Driving it since June. 10000 km. Drove it all winter here in Toronto. No problem at all.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Yep - my daily driver. 23k on my 2015.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Nope; DD's are my truck, GLK or one of my motorcycles (weather permitting) the jag is a toy I use after work, on weekends and for road trips when it's nice.....hoping it will last me a long time. :-)

Dave

Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!

I figured, why get your dream car and not drive it (as much as you can, as fast...erm, enjoyably as you can)?

EDIT: I had a few concerns about daily-ing F Type, since I've heard some complain about the ride (Car and Driver) and some about the seats (Matt Farrah), but to me personally both are PERFECT. Sure, it's a bit bouncy over lumpy pavement, but it is a 550-hp Grand Tourer, it is to be expected. Otherwise I find F Type very comfortable, ESPECIALLY over a long haul. I took it from San Diego to San Francisco on Pacific Coast Hwy last October and after a 13-hr drive, I felt perfectly fine. And it carried 2 people's luggage no problem at all.

Last edited by BostonKiller; 03-20-2017 at 11:02 AM.