F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Anyone Track Their F-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Does Anyone Track Their F-Type?

This is my fist post... I just picked up my F-Type S AWD Coupe two days ago. So far, so good... very happy with the car.

I understand it is heavy at 3691 lbs, but I still plan on taking it to the track at least a few times.

I'm curious to hear if any of you track your F-Type and if so, what your experiences are with it on the track.

What pads/rotors are recommended?

Any tricks/tips to a Jaguar noob?

Thanks!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

I haven't tracked mine yet but I will. My best tip at this point is to not damage it. Repairs are expensive and take a long time.

I'm trying to figure out when I can do a NASA weekend at Sonoma, but my helmet is now past it's pull date, so to speak. It's SA2005.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:26 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Congrats on your buy....enjoy.
Search is your friend...there is a fair bit of info for Road track and drag.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:30 PM

Thanks, I'm using search, but was looking for specific info about the F-Type.

Old 01-22-2018, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by reznik6044
Thanks, I'm using search, but was looking for specific info about the F-Type.
Go to the F-Type thread index (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f-type-x152-72/), click on "Search this Thread" and then again on "Advanced search". Type "track" into keyword and select "search titles only". That will bring up a plethora of relevant threads specific to the F-Type. Most importantly you will discover https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwcg2spgeb...10851.pdf?dl=0 courtesy of our great friend Dave (DJS).

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Misujerr (02-16-2018), Panthro (01-26-2018), reznik6044 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 09:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I havent tracked mine, but I have tracked an R RWD, an R AWD, and an S RWD. On a track with decent straights the R AWD was the quickest for me though I found that in dynamic the steering and front end felt havy compared to my RWD S. The acceleration from 100kph to 200kph is pretty amazing.

I drove the S RWD on a smaller track with tighter corners and it was awesome, I really enjoyed it and it felt right for me. The fact that I spanked a few other drivers helped. I had driven my RWD 5.0 SC XKR on the same track and it was not enjoyable at all, not enough traction which led to interference from the dts or whatever coming out of corners. I spent the next week being shamed by my mate who had gotten better times in his WRX and couldnt resist sending a screenshot of the lap times to pretty much everyone we know. But the suspension in the XKR isnt the same as that in the F Type.

Personally I dont like tracking my own car, though I'd still jump at the chance to put my RWD S on the track.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Any tricks/tips to a Jaguar noob?
Get decent tires. P-zero are big dud, especially if you track. Michelin Pilot 4S will transform how your car handles.

Other than that, change engine oil a lot more often than you normally would.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:52 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Welcome!

Hope this helps:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-179586/page5/

Originally Posted by FR500GT
First Open Track Day in the F-Type

The Hornberg dealerships hosted a Jaguar/Aston Martin track day at Chuckwalla Raceway for their clients last Friday and it was a great turnout! There were roughly 30+ F Types varying from stock base models to modded SVR's. Though I have tracked my previous cars before, this was my first time at Chuck and first time tracking the F-Type. Overall the car did very well and I was quite impressed with how solid everything felt throughout the day. Some takeaways:

- No brake fade (although the rotors turned a few colors at some point)
- No understeering (shocked since I'm running 255/295)
- Some oversteering when powering out of the corners (was able to dial it in by dropping the tire pressure towards the end of the day)
- Engine temp didn't move (drove 3 hours to and from the track too)
- My MPSS tires took a beating (expected runninghard on a hot track)
- It was fun passing S and R models in my base model (ya ya the driver behind the wheel matters)
- The car feels tight and the ZF transmission was awesome with the extended paddles (only tracked manuals before)
- Eventually I would like to run 18's and upgrade to the Porterfield R4s brake pads (but neither is needed at this time)

I'll upload the one or two videos I took but unfortunately I didn't take many videos or pictures while I was there. I'm looking forward to the next track day in a few months!

Attached Thumbnails Does Anyone Track Their F-Type?-d70c80d4-484d-40c3-9d31-8e0f2b5a92cf.jpeg  
The following 2 users liked this post by FR500GT:
mshedden (02-02-2018), reznik6044 (01-23-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Get decent tires. P-zero are big dud, especially if you track. Michelin Pilot 4S will transform how your car handles.

Other than that, change engine oil a lot more often than you normally would.
Agreed! I've only had my car for 3 days now and I'm getting new Michelin's put on tomorrow (putting the P-Zero in the garage until the end of the lease).

Why the comment on oil changes? Jag offers free maintenance included with the car... I assume the computer will tell you when to change and the *********** will take care of it.

My plan was to change break fluid before each track day.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:43 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

What’s your experience level reznik? I don’t know if I mentioned in my last thread, but I found the pirellis to be just fine, at least in the cooler temps we had at COTA this past weekend. I have had Pilot SSs on all my other cars, and while they’ve been fantastic, I didn’t experience any regrets by not putting them on the jag before his track day. Also, I had no brake fade whatsoever. But again, I was in the green group on a track that I had never driven before, and the temps were cool. We had to turn on the heater during the morning sessions.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I tracked my RWD R in the fall. Everything is stock on mine.

I have ceramics and this is my first car with ceramics and I must say I beat the **** out of of the car and the brakes; simply amazed on how quickly they grab right before a sharp turn.

Everything I've dished out the car handled and then some; and i also have a lot of room from improvement.

I Recommend dynamic mode and keeping traction control on, you have an AWD R so this may not apply.

I did a few laps with full blown race mode on meaning no traction control, just be careful. Had a blast but also spun out a few times.

Doing lap days is the best way to become comfortable and see what you car is capable of.

The following 2 users liked this post by jrodrg:
Panthro (02-11-2018), reznik6044 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Why the comment on oil changes?
Because people don't tend to understand that track use is beyond severe use.

Jag offers free maintenance included with the car...
Assuming you weekend drive the car in good weather, following scheduled maintenance is fine.

I assume the computer will tell you when to change and the *********** will take care of it.
Don't assume, and not it won't. Change your engine oil every 4 hours or so of track time, if you only occasionally track, half your oil change interval (6K or 6 mo).

My plan was to change break fluid before each track day.
This is excessive. Once per year is fine. Brake fluid degrades by absorbing humidity, not with use.

The following users liked this post:
reznik6044 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by IlMostro796
What’s your experience level reznik?

Also, I had no brake fade whatsoever. But again, I was in the green group on a track that I had never driven before, and the temps were cool. We had to turn on the heater during the morning sessions.
I run in the advanced group. Typically designated passing zones and open passing on the last day. I run fairly hard. I push the car hard and brake fade was in issue in my M3 until I changed pads. The F-Type is lighter, but not by much... so I do expect it behave similar from a braking perspective.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by jrodrg
I tracked my RWD R in the fall. Everything is stock on mine.

I have ceramics and this is my first car with ceramics and I must say I beat the **** out of of the car and the brakes; simply amazed on how quickly they grab right before a sharp turn.
I have the AWD S (not R) and the brakes are not ceramics If I had ceramics, I wouldn't be worried about it.

The following users liked this post:
jrodrg (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

I've tracked mine several times. Mostly just to give students a ride around the track. It's not a race car or a sports car really. The F-Type is more of a GT car so it's heavy. It has a typical street alignment which will understeer if you drive it hard.

It's just a car so standard things will apply. If you put stickier tires on it, you'll begin to overwork the stock brake pads. When you address that, you'll be running harder so then temps are a concern... and so on... There isn't anything special, just do the usual (i.e. keeping an eye on temps, tires and brakes).

Old 02-04-2018, 03:56 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

We own quite an amazing car....no matter whether a Base or an R.
I'd done spec racing with a Civic and no mods...some vintage ( contact discouraged in a "gentlemanly " way ) and of course autocross ( remember MGB ?)
I bought a Z3 MCoupe and was invited to do a "track day"... all stock, PZero Nero A/S...standard brakes. As novices all nannys engaged. Serious fun but I could see others unloading wheels with slicks, changing out to track pads, some with roll bar sets.
First track days saw lots of nanny engagement, a fair bit of abs etc. Strange as I got better, smoother, fewer nannys engaged....and of course then thoughts went to upgrade tires, lighter wheels, race pads.
My point here is in response to the OP....track it, give it a try, it's not for everyone but it has been great for me. No need to get lighter wheels, better tires, better brakes. There is likely a lot more car than there is you/ me as a driver be for we need to worry about the upgrades.
Time for "upgrades " when you become smitten.
Give it a shot as is...do the tire pressure changes as have been mentioned, lift on the straights if you feel the need to breath the brakes....listen to your instructors you will love it ( I hope and expect )
You will be able to learn lots before you need to spend $$$'on "extras".
I've instructed for 10'yrs now and learn things every track day.
Contact the various clubs BMW, PCA, Corvette, the "club" tracks in your area.
You "owe it to yourself".
Alan

The following 2 users liked this post by Awd:
DJS (02-04-2018), ndabunka (02-11-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 07:19 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

mine will end up on a track at some point this year.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:24 AM
Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

I ran mine at Sebring a few months ago. Just went out stock. The car performed like a champ!

Old 02-05-2018, 09:07 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the AWD S (not R) and the brakes are not ceramics If I had ceramics, I wouldn't be worried about it.
I've worried about replacing these rotors and pads at some point, I suppose that's when the car gets traded in...lol

Old 02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Awd
We own quite an amazing car....no matter whether a Base or an R.
I'd done spec racing with a Civic and no mods...some vintage ( contact discouraged in a "gentlemanly " way ) and of course autocross ( remember MGB ?)
I bought a Z3 MCoupe and was invited to do a "track day"... all stock, PZero Nero A/S...standard brakes. As novices all nannys engaged. Serious fun but I could see others unloading wheels with slicks, changing out to track pads, some with roll bar sets.
First track days saw lots of nanny engagement, a fair bit of abs etc. Strange as I got better, smoother, fewer nannys engaged....and of course then thoughts went to upgrade tires, lighter wheels, race pads.
My point here is in response to the OP....track it, give it a try, it's not for everyone but it has been great for me. No need to get lighter wheels, better tires, better brakes. There is likely a lot more car than there is you/ me as a driver be for we need to worry about the upgrades.
Time for "upgrades " when you become smitten.
Give it a shot as is...do the tire pressure changes as have been mentioned, lift on the straights if you feel the need to breath the brakes....listen to your instructors you will love it ( I hope and expect )
You will be able to learn lots before you need to spend $$$'on "extras".
I've instructed for 10'yrs now and learn things every track day.
Contact the various clubs BMW, PCA, Corvette, the "club" tracks in your area.
You "owe it to yourself".
Alan
Good tips and right on target. I've tracked mine once last year (no opportunities convenient this year) - mine is a '16 R. I was extremely impressed. Leave nanny fully engaged until you are very capable. My next time I'll put the car in track mode - but I have quite alot of experience having road raced, AutoX and also instructed at many schools including SCCA. These are awesome cars despite their weight.

Quick Reply: Does Anyone Track Their F-Type?