Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ecu tuning group - 2016 f-type r

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 05:52 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Unhingd was an early adopter - think he did the upper pulley before the crank pullies became available. No doubt he'll chime in soon and prove me wrong.

Unhingd and VAP seem to be the driving forces behind aftermarket goodies, at least on this forum.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:54 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the clarification. Appreciate all the input from other members but given the fact that I've had Direct contact with a tuned F-Type from EtG for three are run through the muskokas and can safely say that he consistently pulled away from me on the straightaways. No doubt in my mind that the tune works just fine. Keep an open mind but it seems to me that everybody is geared towards VAP. I wonder why that is

Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,068 Likes on 1,373 Posts

Because VAP has been very active on this board, sharing Dino plots and answering just about any question people have. And they appear to be highly responsive to folks who have worked with them. I haven't, but I keep up with everything here.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Unhingd was an early adopter - think he did the upper pulley before the crank pullies became available. No doubt he'll chime in soon and prove me wrong.
Dave, it’s a tall order proving you wrong. The upper pulley was installed even before any viable tunes were available. With the lower pulley, the upper is overkill. From time to time I actually look for an OEM upper pulley to revert back. Better yet, I find a larger SC to run at the same 20 lb boost. The benefit would be the ability to sustain lower IATs over longer hard charging runs.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mc-hammer
Thank you for the clarification. Appreciate all the input from other members but given the fact that I've had Direct contact with a tuned F-Type from EtG for three are run through the muskokas and can safely say that he consistently pulled away from me on the straightaways. No doubt in my mind that the tune works just fine. Keep an open mind but it seems to me that everybody is geared towards VAP. I wonder why that is
The reason is clear; VAP has proven his product with dyno results and has been a valuable resource here answering any and all questions.....AND there have been problems experienced by others using other tunes.

.....not sure how come "consistently pulled away from me..." is better data than before and after dyno runs? Sorry, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

your car, your money, your choice.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 04-14-2018, 08:25 PM

I think we both can agree that data can be skewed and actual real-time situations as I've described is better than anything before and after information provided by a tuner on a piece of paper it's called seeing and believing point of fact I did do my research and when I did call VAP I did exactly what you guys had suggested runaway if the tuner provides embellished figures. I don't know one tuner from the other but I am capable sifting through baseless misinformation What claims or lack of do you have that supports or warrants the negative attitude being displayed towards EtG. I've seen the car experienced the tune and can safely say that it works. I'm quite certain EtG being a tuner of that size will not be in business if they were screwing people over. We're not talking about programming a TV box that cost 35 bucks. Show me some hard evidence that indicates to me that there tune doesn't work. As I mentioned in a previous post I spent 8 hours through a 600 kilometer run through the muskokas with this tuned F-Type from ECU and I can tell you that the car consistently pulled away it for me on straight-aways. I think that is self-explanatory. Like I said I do appreciate discussion but I don't like but clearly seems to be a one-sided opinion given preferential for one tuner. I've got money to burn so if this doesn't work I can go with the VAp as all have suggested and lesson learned but for now seeing is believing and will have post ECU data from a Dino to either substantiate your claim or mine

Old 04-14-2018, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member

I think we both can agree that data can be skewed and actual real-time situations as I've described is better than anything before and after information provided by a tuner on a piece of paper it's called seeing and believing point of fact I did do my research and when I did call VAP I did exactly what you guys had suggested runaway if the tuner provides embellished figures. I don't know one tuner from the other but I am capable sifting through baseless misinformation What claims or lack of do you have that supports or warrants the negative attitude being displayed towards EtG. I've seen the car experienced the tune and can safely say that it works. I'm quite certain EtG being a tuner of that size will not be in business if they were screwing people over. We're not talking about programming a TV box that cost 35 bucks. Show me some hard evidence that indicates to me that there tune doesn't work. As I mentioned in a previous post I spent 8 hours through a 600 kilometer run through the muskokas with this tuned F-Type from ECU and I can tell you that the car consistently pulled away it for me on straight-aways. I think that is self-explanatory. Like I said I do appreciate discussion but I don't like but clearly seems to be a one-sided opinion given preferential for one tuner. I've got money to burn so if this doesn't work I can go with the VAp as all have suggested and lesson learned but for now seeing is believing and will have post ECU data from a Dino to either substantiate your claim or mine

I never said anything about ECU; good, bad or otherwise. You wanted to know why most everyone here recommends VAP and I gave you my opinion and rationale on my perspective of why that is.

I have no plan on putting my car on a dyno; there is enough info on VAP tuned cars that I don't feel the need and I'm comfortable with my choice of tune - I've made no claims that I can see.

How will you define "if this doesn't work"?

Dave

Old 04-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Mc, Check out the “V6S Tune” thread. Plenty of hard data straight from the printouts of an independent Dyno validating the VAP claims. The charts provided by most tuners are marketing department created representations of what may or may not be real data.

Last edited by Unhingd; 04-14-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:27 PM

I have been provided with dyno Data before and after from other tunes like mine and quite confident I'll get good results. After all isn't that what you're basing your opinion on with VAP. Real life experience outweighs any video or graph hence the reason for my decision. The dyno that I was prepared to do was for my own peace of mind and would have been done regardless and who did the tune. So why wouldn't you. Cheers

Old 04-14-2018, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

...Dino to either substantiate your claim or mine
I saw you use Dino before and thought it was a typo but now you have used it a number of times in this thread. For clarity the term is "Dyno" which is short for Dynometer.

Dino would seem to be an abbreviation for a Dinosaur which would not appear to have anything to do with measuring performance, that is..... unless you are a flintstones fan of their pet or were measuring Barney & Fred's "foot power"...LOL

Old 04-14-2018, 10:17 PM

Really, I'm using voice to text and as you may or may not know doesn't always convey the essence of what's being said but I think it's more to do with you just trying to be a.... well I'll let you fill in the blank

Old 04-14-2018, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Mc, Check out the “V6S Tune” thread. Plenty of hard data straight from the printouts of an independent Dyno validating the VAP claims. The charts provided by most tuners are marketing department created representations of what may or may not be real data.
look, nobody is denying the data or that VAP is a reputable tuner. What I find discerning is the refusal to accept that there are other tuners out there that are just as good. Thanks for all the input cheers .
I'll let you know how it goes once tune has run its course and a..."dino" .. can validate the gains

cheers

Old 04-14-2018, 11:39 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

ECU Tuning Group - a long read but might be worthwhile.

Anyone get ECU Tuned via OBDIi Port? - Page 4 - McLaren Life

Page 18 / Dec 10 has an interesting post.

Last edited by ek993; 04-14-2018 at 11:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 03:07 AM

You are correct that was long and winded. It is unfortunate that it didn't quite work out but what I ascertained here that there was plenty of effort made to get this tune done. Sounds to me like this was more an experiment I'm trying to perfect tune for this car. I don't think this applies for the tune I'm looking at for my F-Type r. Once again thank you for your input.. still confident EtG will deliver. Much appreciated

Old 04-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

My prior post on verbiage did have some emoji's that you apparently missed but regardless I will stop ding'ing your use of it but I may still joke here or there.

Last edited by ndabunka; 04-15-2018 at 03:35 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 640 Likes on 410 Posts

look, nobody is denying the data or that VAP is a reputable tuner. What I find discerning is the refusal to accept that there are other tuners out there that are just as good.
You asked for forum input when you created this thread and the forum provided it. I don't think anyone here is denying that other tuners out there could be just as good; however most of them are an unknown or unproven commodity on the F-type platform, where as everyone runs VAP and no-one has ever had a problem. Literally no one...

Sounds like you're pretty set in your decision to use ETG. That's fine, they haven't done many F-types on this forum, but maybe they can do a great job? I have no idea. What I can say is they probably can improve your car in some respect; it's no shock that a tuned car could consistently pull away from a non-tuned one, that's common sense. What you don't know (and probably never will) is how good their tune is compared to others out there. Without analyzing the accurate data you'd never know how good, bad or indifferent ETG's tune is. But perhaps ignorance is bliss?

The following users liked this post:
DPelletier (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:46 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Performance gain is only part of the equation, doing it safely is the bigger challenge.

Perhaps the OP has money to burn, or otherwise feels compelled to do it his way. Just odd that he would ask for our ideas when his mind is made up. Hope he doesn't have a bad experience.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chawumba:
DPelletier (04-15-2018), ndabunka (04-15-2018)
Old 04-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Veteran Member

the last two posts nailed it IMO

Dave

Old 04-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

What he said:

"I've got money to burn so if this doesn't work I can go with the VAp.."

Our work here is done...

Old 04-15-2018, 05:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

The metrics of decision making:

Successful f type VAP tunes on this forum : 12? (Guessing, Stuart can provide correct #).
Successful f type ETG tune from OP's direct source : 1?

I'd get the numbers up on the ETG. I can understand having personal contact with the 1 source, but it's 1. Maybe someone with an f type VAP tune is near the OP to provide some direct (in person) experience. Maybe Stuart can provide some help if OP is interested. No need to argue over metrics.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-15-2018 at 05:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Ecu tuning group - 2016 f-type r