F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Electrical Problem

Hey guys, I have a problem. I went out to the garage this morning and planned to drive the F-Type. Unfortunately, the car was completely dead - not one electron flowing. It's obviously not a dead battery because it was fine 3 or 4 days ago, and even if it was dead, that wouldn't completely shut down the whole electrical system. I can't get into the trunk because it's locked and the release is electric. I tried to get the owner's manual out of the glove box, but the release is, you guessed it, electric. I plan to call road side assistance Monday morning, but the car is in Park in the garage, and I have no idea how to put the transmission in neutral to get it on a flatbed. The top is down and I have no way to raise it. The dealer service department is closed and I can't reach anyone there for help.

The car is a 2016 F-Type R with 20K miles.

BTW, Jaguar isn't still using Lucas electrics is it.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

If the top is down pop the hood with the lever near your left knee on driver side seat. You can then access the jump start terminals under the hood on the right side. One is just a ground stud the positive terminal has a red plastic cover. If you need to get the door open use the mechanical key in the key FOB in the drivers side door.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Also, if you need to get the gearbox into Neutral and the EPB off here is the way you do it:

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
emergency release.pdf (285.2 KB, 135 views)
Old 03-02-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by RGPV6S
If the top is down pop the hood with the lever near your left knee on driver side seat. You can then access the jump start terminals under the hood on the right side. One is just a ground stud the positive terminal has a red plastic cover. If you need to get the door open use the mechanical key in the key FOB in the drivers side door.
Thanks, but I'm not at all sure that the battery completely died. It sounds more like a failed connection from the battery, but I can't get into the trunk to check the connectors. I don't have a jump box here at the house, but I do have a charger. I'll hook that up and see if there is any response from the electrical system.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Also, if you need to get the gearbox into Neutral and the EPB off here is the way you do it:
Thanks - good to know. I may need this if the car has to be moved to the dealer.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

You should be able to get roadside assistance 24/7. As you have a 2016 you have 5 years of coverage. If you had power you could access from your car's direct contact toggle (not sure if it's in the same place on the vert). As such, you need to keep this info on your phone just for this occasion. I also believe you can access road side through the Jaguar Remote App which is also a 2016 feature, but not sure on that.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

I had similar problem with my 2017 coup. Fortunately it was in my garage, doors were unlocked.. I tried charging with my own re-charger set on "High Charge". No luck. Planned to have it towed to local Jag dealer and left , but since it was weekend, the AAA driver suggested trying his heavy duty jump starter to see if I could get a start, and then I could drive it down on Monday. Just to be polite ('Nice Jag owner') I agreed to let him try. It started!! He kept his double battery on the car for a few minutes, then I drove it around the neighborhood a few times, brought it back and replaced my charger on the battery. Set it on trickle for the rest of the afternoon. Drove it all weekend, took it to the Jag dealer on Monday, found that my 2 year old battery had a bad cell. Replaced by dealer under warranty.
Once the battery gets to a certain low, it will not take a charge, must get s jolt to restart. The AAA truck had enough power to kick in the process enough to allow recharging to take place.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:01 PM

I guess I should have posted the the end of this little story earlier. I put my charger on the battery Saturday afternoon at a medium setting [6 amps]. Nothing was indicated for 10 to 12 hours, but then it showed a 25% charge, then 50% and 75%, and finally late Sunday afternoon 100%. I left the charger on the car at a 2 amp maintaining rate until Monday morning. The car started normally with no warning messages, so I drove it w/o issues to the dealer. The results were a battery which failed the load test, [3 year old AGM battery] and no problems in the charging system. They did find a bit of seepage from the rear differential, so I drove an F-Pace for two days while they replaced the battery, re-sealed the differential, and changed the oil and filter. When I picked it up Wednesday, they presented me with a bill for $0.00, as everything was warrantied. I left a very happy camper and still a firm believer that I have a great Jaguar Dealer.

BTW, if you are in the Atlanta area, It's Hennessy Jaguar Gwinnett, but the also have dealerships in Buckhead and North Point.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (03-08-2019)