F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine hitting bonnet

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 11:48 AM
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Engine hitting bonnet

So today I was at a stop light and thought, there not one around so I'd turn off traction control and do a burn out take off. Well, just seconds into it and the engine hit my bonnet and pushed it up some, like a few inches....YIKES! I'm wondering if I broke a motor mount, or is the engine supposed to have that much travel? I opened the bonnet and noticed my mina gallery intakes were elevated some, so I loosed up the clamps and pushed them down about a half inch. However, I'm not sure if thats the fix.

Has anyone on here had this issue? A possible broken motor mount? Gonna put it in the air later this week to swap my wheels so I can crawl under and look then.

Old 03-14-2021, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 564 Likes on 383 Posts

Your suspicion has to be correct - motor mount.

Old 03-14-2021, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Maybe you triggered the pedestrian protection system?
The twin airbags under the hood up the windscreen end which are meant to go off and push the rear of the hood up a few inches in the event of a front on pedestrian collision.
This system is known to be problematic with many instances on XFs and a few on F-Types of false deployment when hitting a pothole etc.
Easy enough to check and see if those airbags have gone off.

Old 03-14-2021, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,155 Likes on 1,321 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Maybe you triggered the pedestrian protection system?
The twin airbags under the hood up the windscreen end which are meant to go off and push the rear of the hood up a few inches in the event of a front on pedestrian collision.
This system is known to be problematic with many instances on XFs and a few on F-Types of false deployment when hitting a pothole etc.
Easy enough to check and see if those airbags have gone off.
Good idea, but almost certainly not the cause because the US and the Canadian cars do not have the pedestrian protection system. We do not value the lives of pedestrians.
My vote is for a broken motor mount...

The following 3 users liked this post by sov211:
JacksonvilleJag (03-15-2021), OzXFR (03-14-2021), takeapieandrun (03-15-2021)
Old 03-14-2021, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,138 Likes on 2,312 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
Good idea, but almost certainly not the cause because the US and the Canadian cars do not have the pedestrian protection system. We do not value the lives of pedestrians.
My vote is for a broken motor mount...
Thanks for that, I had forgotten that North American cars are not saddled with that idiotic system!

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
mbelanger (03-15-2021), SinF (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 07:45 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart Satter
So today I was at a stop light and thought, there not one around so I'd turn off traction control and do a burn out take off. Well, just seconds into it and the engine hit my bonnet and pushed it up some, like a few inches....YIKES! I'm wondering if I broke a motor mount, or is the engine supposed to have that much travel? I opened the bonnet and noticed my mina gallery intakes were elevated some, so I loosed up the clamps and pushed them down about a half inch. However, I'm not sure if thats the fix.

Has anyone on here had this issue? A possible broken motor mount? Gonna put it in the air later this week to swap my wheels so I can crawl under and look then.

A photo speaks a thousand words....

Old 03-15-2021, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 230 Posts

Why would an engine mount break on a 5 year old car?

Old 03-15-2021, 12:40 PM
Received 82 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm going with motor mounts!

Old 03-15-2021, 01:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Thanks for that, I had forgotten that North American cars are not saddled with that idiotic system!
Having seen a man hit and carried by a Volvo when the driver did not stop at a crossing, I sure am glad that more and more cars are now equipped with PPS!

Old 03-15-2021, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 230 Posts

Those Volvos are very dangerous!!

Old 03-15-2021, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 956 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by newskatercat
I'm going with motor mounts!
I'm sure they're hydraulic mounts. It's not unheard of for them to leak. I think a visual inspection would reveal that, but honestly, I can't think of anything else it could be.

In the Old Days, we'd check mounts by opening the hood, applying the brake, and then giving it some gas while in gear and looking for excessive engine movement. For the Saab 99s it was usually the front mount (under the radiator). The F-Type doesn't have one of those ;^)

Old 03-16-2021, 04:17 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I'm sure they're hydraulic mounts. It's not unheard of for them to leak. I think a visual inspection would reveal that, but honestly, I can't think of anything else it could be.

In the Old Days, we'd check mounts by opening the hood, applying the brake, and then giving it some gas while in gear and looking for excessive engine movement. For the Saab 99s it was usually the front mount (under the radiator). The F-Type doesn't have one of those ;^)
Or easier still, put the engine on first gear, and rock the car bak and forth to see any flex....Doh, sorry forgot you were nearly all autos back then! ( The only cars that had autos from memory in the UK then were posh cars like Bentley, Rolls!).

Old 03-16-2021, 07:03 AM

Yeah, no air bags in the US in the bonnet. I'll put it up in the air in a day or so and crawl underneath. I had my wheels re powder coated black from brushed bronze. and will be putting them on. Tired of cleaning brake dust all the time.

Does anyone know of any performance upgrades on motor mounts? I think the increase of Torque did this and want stronger parts. Maybe even an added torque brace availability?

Old 03-16-2021, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 977 Likes on 564 Posts

Looks like the Engine Mounts ( AWD - T2R23625 - L & R - RWD - C2D2745 - L & R) ) are challenging to get to/replace. I have not seen any upgraded versions anywhere, but perhaps someone else has?

I have posted a link to the R and R Process on my Cloud Drive below...and a picture of what they look like below. Not very impressive looking.

Will add this to my DIY Thread as well. (Note this is for V8 AWD). RWD will be similar.

DC
LINK to Procedure

Last edited by Therock88; 03-16-2021 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info. Looks like a pain in the *** to do this. Guess I'll be swapping out the high pressure fuel pumps when I do this too. Its only a matter of time before they **** the bed as well at 65K miles.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Tel
Or easier still, put the engine on first gear, and rock the car bak and forth to see any flex....Doh, sorry forgot you were nearly all autos back then! ( The only cars that had autos from memory in the UK then were posh cars like Bentley, Rolls!).
The 99s and 900s were the bulk of my work, and most were manual transmissions. Transmission rebuilds were a big source of work. The pinion bearings would need replacing by about 125K miles, earlier if maintenance had been "deferred." With the weight of the engine/transaxle assembly, front motor mount problems were easiest to diagnose with handbrake and engine power. It was really only the 99s though. When they went from gears to chains on the primary drive, they downsized the front mount shaft from 10mm to 8mm, and those would break.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. Looks like a pain in the *** to do this. Guess I'll be swapping out the high pressure fuel pumps when I do this too. Its only a matter of time before they **** the bed as well at 65K miles.
The other thread...easier method?? HERE

DC

The following users liked this post:
xdave (03-16-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 03:00 PM

Just as suspected. Drivers side mount was broken. Also replaced the trans mount as that was cracked in half. Passenger side mount intact.

Old 04-05-2021, 04:18 PM
Veteran Member

Just as suspected. Drivers side mount was broken. Also replaced the trans mount as that was cracked in half. Passenger side mount intact.
Wow...That sucks. Was the little rope/string broken off as well? or did you take it off? They do not look very robust...So I guess around 60-65 K I will start paying attention to these, or change preemptively …

Did you change them yourself? If so, how bad was it?

Thanks for posting the pics.

DC

Old 04-05-2021, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Therock88
Wow...That sucks. Was the little rope/string broken off as well? or did you take it off?
That strap looks like something only intended to stay on up through installation.

Quick Reply: Engine hitting bonnet