Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine oil removal info needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 11:15 PM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I WAS paying attention!
Quote: "....and the oil extraction tube is 9 mm external diameter so you want a plastic tube with 9 mm internal diameter."
Which means, translated into English, the external diameter of the car's oil extraction tube is 9 mm so for a plastic tube to fit tightly OVER that tube you want the plastic tube to have an INTERNAL diameter of the same, ie 9 mm.
But to make sure I just checked and measured that pesky car tube and guess what, I was wrong!
I got my 9s and 6s mixed up (coz I am Down Under) and it really measures 6 mm external diameter!
And yes 1/4" is close to 6 mm.
Good that you got it done even with my dodgy advice!

Old 04-14-2021, 10:09 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

for anyone still reading this, I performed my first oil change on my 15 R with the $89 oil extractor from harbor freight. I'm sure the mityvac hand pump and pneumatic models have some more bells and whistles, and this one is a little hokey in that you have to tip it upside down to pour the used oil out, but otherwise it was perfect for the job right out of the box. Only issue I did have was that the rubber coupler on the end of the plastic hose sticking to the extraction tube in the car, which was easily removed with a pair of pliers.

Highly recommend a strap wrench for the oil filter removal if you can't find the right oil filter wrench.

Old 04-17-2021, 07:19 AM
Received 122 Likes on 69 Posts

This video gives you all the info required. I used a 5w30 because I was racing in 90F weather. I then changed it out to 5W20.

The following 2 users liked this post by supersportmtl:
JacksonvilleJag (04-19-2021), Phantomf4collector (04-18-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 11:15 PM
Received 232 Likes on 120 Posts

I am having one hellva time trying to get my oil filter cap off. I have used a band wrench, three blade claw wrench, oil filter pliers and this puppy is not moving. I am now considering ordering a 15 Flutes 89mm Inner Dia Metal Oil Filter Wrench from eBay even though if I do that I know I have three weeks +/- of wait time till it gets here….. Am hoping someone has a better and quicker solution and yes, I considered blow torch that’s how frustrated I am……

Old 10-27-2021, 11:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,150 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeIII
I am having one hellva time trying to get my oil filter cap off. I have used a band wrench, three blade claw wrench, oil filter pliers and this puppy is not moving. I am now considering ordering a 15 Flutes 89mm Inner Dia Metal Oil Filter Wrench from eBay even though if I do that I know I have three weeks +/- of wait time till it gets here….. Am hoping someone has a better and quicker solution and yes, I considered blow torch that’s how frustrated I am……
Yep, the cap type 15 flutes tool you mention is the best bet and will work for sure.
But before I got one of those I also struggled to get the oil filter canister off on both my XFR and F-Type.
Like you I tried all sorts of tools and got nowhere fast, until I bought a cheap simple rubber strap type wrench, see here: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=2
It worked a charm but still not as easy as the fluted cap, the secret is in the rubber strap which grips the canister nice and tight.
You should be able to buy the same type from your local auto parts store.

Old 10-28-2021, 10:19 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, the cap type 15 flutes tool you mention is the best bet and will work for sure.
But before I got one of those I also struggled to get the oil filter canister off on both my XFR and F-Type.
Like you I tried all sorts of tools and got nowhere fast, until I bought a cheap simple rubber strap type wrench, see here: https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...=en_AU&start=2
It worked a charm but still not as easy as the fluted cap, the secret is in the rubber strap which grips the canister nice and tight.
You should be able to buy the same type from your local auto parts store.
i also used the rubber strap type.
also lightly tap all around the filler cap outside edge with a somewhat large screwdriver handle a few times before using a removal tool