XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Oil change using electric pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 09:32 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Post Oil change using electric pump

Taking the wise words of Queen and Country to heart about not trying to remove my thread-locked oil drain plug, I bought a fairly cheap ($18.45 off Amazon
Amazon Amazon
) electric oil pump to do an oil change. This is the story of that oil change, in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar boat. There's no rocket science in this post, though since there is precious little on it on here and Youtube I thought it was worth sharing.

Box that the pump came in - tried to get the shipping label off!

Contents of the pump box
There are caps on the pump ports, which need to be removed prior to connecting the tubes to the pump (not mentioned in the instructions!)

Arrangement of draining the oil
Before starting this process, I drove the car around the block to warm up the oil, to make it easier to extract (and hopefully churn up any sludge that really needed removal!) . I had already bought a container which could catch and hold the old oil, which has two perfectly sized holes in the opening for the output pipe from the pump. I ended up running jumper cables to another car's battery, as that was easier than getting to the Jag's battery. As such, I kept the connections away from any metal on the car.

Suction tube went down the dipstick tube - nearly all the tube went in!
I was a little surprised that the good length suction tube went nearly all the way into the oil dipstick tube. Also, open the cap on the oil cap so there's no vacuum forming that the pump has to overcome.

Once that got going, it took about 5 minutes to drain the oil. No mess! I did try putting the suction tube in the oil filling port, but there's a lot of gubbins in there, so the tube doesn't really go in.... was more of an effort to get any last drops.

Next I jacked the car up, got the used-oil container under the car to catch what was in the oil pump as I unscrewed it. Left it without the filter on to try and get every last drop out.

Half-filled the new oil filter and put it on, cleaned up the area around the oil filter, took the car off the jack stands, and put oil into the engine. Reassuringly, I put in the remainder of the 5 quart new oil container into the engine, and it didn't touch the bottom of the dipstick! I kept topping up until I got to the desired zone on the dipstick, then ran the engine for a couple of minutes before checking and topping up again. At the end of all this, I had put in around 7.5-8 quarts of new oil, which makes me believe almost all of the old oil was removed from my 2007 4.2 XK

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 09:41 AM
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Have done it this way for years on inboards with no issues.

Old 12-23-2019, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

You are going to find a million uses for the pump. (ignoring the one Austin Powers found)

I have a manual one. Its one of the best kept secrets for doing a transmission fluid change (not on this car- but most others)
After doing a filter change, and only getting a fraction of the ATF, use the dipstick tube to vacuum out and fill atf, this way you can do a gallon every 3 months, the safest way.
Or even during the filter change, you can get most of the aft out of the pan through the dipstick tube, now you are wont take an atf bath while on your back under the car.

The manual one is the way to go because you can power flush brakes and use it as a storage container when draining the radiator.
And no need to jack the XK up. The less you jack this car the better.

The following users liked this post:
Buzzer (12-23-2019)
Old 12-23-2019, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
You are going to find a million uses for the pump.

I have a manual one.

The less you jack this car the better.
I had a hard time resisting such blatant setup for jokes.

Last edited by SinF; 12-23-2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,607 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I had a hard time resisting such blatant setup for jokes.
One tires, it flies over the cuckoo's nest most of the time.

Once there were guys talking about drilling 2 holes in the fascia and trunk to install a rear view camera.
I suggested a 3rd hole through the backseat and you would not need a camera.
Someone actually got very upset, screaming it was a bad idea. lol