X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!! 2004 x-type sounds all sorts of messed up!!!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help!! 2004 x-type sounds all sorts of messed up!!!

My wife's X-Type has crapped out, I think. A few weeks back she told me about the oil light flickering on and off when put into gear. I checked the oil levels and it was a little low, so I went ahead and changed the oil.

About a week later, that there was a ticking noise...the same type you get when your oil is low. I checked the oil and added 1 quart as needed. The oil level is at the top of max at this point.

I went away for a week and let the inlaws drive the car. I had no fear of this, since her dad is extremely handy and knows quite a bit about cars. He repairs them on the side for fun. I returned and the car was making a strange ticking noise when a certain RPM...not sure what RPM as I was busy with my head out the window tryin hear where it was coming from. It almost sounded like a piece of platic in bicycle spokes. The noise was also there when I would brake.

Just the other day, my wife was on te interstate and she called to tell me the car sounded like the engine was coming apart. Luckily, she was able to get off the interstate and park at 7-11 less than a mile away from where the noise started. When I got to her, I had her turn on the car and it was the loudest racket I have heard. It banged and clanked like something was flopping around in the engine. I had it towed to her dad's house and we checked the oil level...at max on the dipstick. We opened the oil cap and smoke came out along with the smell of burnt oil. He stuck a finger in and rubbed the chain you can see from the cap opening and there was no oil on it at all. I don't know much about cars, but I know this to be a bad thing. He said it looks like the oil pump is shot and not sending oil to the top of the motor. He said we might try changing the pump and lifters to see if we can fix it.

This is where I need some advise/help. Is there an oil pump on these cars? I would think there has to be something pumping oil through the engine. Anyone know where it would be or where the part is that acts like an oil filter? How about the lifters? I've looked at every auto parts website I can think of and no one has either of these parts. This leads me to believe they either don't exist on the car, or it's sucha a pain in the ***, that no one bothers to sell them.

Any ideas, guys? I've already started looking for a new motor, but if it's something her dad and I can tackle (even if it's a pain in the ***), I'd rather try that first.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Old 05-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Ok, the this sounds like the oil pump to me. Without being able to look at it, I would go ahead and change the oil pump. Getting the oil pan off to access the oil pump is a royal PITA which will probably be the hardest part of this repair job. What I would do is go to rockauto.com and search for the oil pan gasket and the oil pump for the x type. As for the oil filter, yes this car does have an oil filter that is up by the radiator and if you havent changed this regularly, you may have just blown your engine with really dirty oil.

To replace the oil pump you will have to remove the oil pan first which is the worst part about this job. After The oil pan is off, you should be able to see the oil pump and change it out from there. If you have never changed the oil filter, drive the car to the scrapyard or get a new engine put in. Without changing an oil filter, you have just condemned your car engine to the worst fate.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, the part that acts like an oil filter is, the oil filter.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

^haha well put carwatcher

Old 05-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Thanks for the info on the oil pump. For the record, the oil filter was changed as well. Not sure where I said I didn't...but understand I didn't say I did. I consider that part of the oil change.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by chiefshb
Thanks for the info on the oil pump. For the record, the oil filter was changed as well. Not sure where I said I didn't...but understand I didn't say I did. I consider that part of the oil change.
And I just saw where I said "acts like an oil filter"...meant pump. My bad!

Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,821 Likes on 3,142 Posts

chiefshb, from what you describe, it sounds like an oil pump to me too. Unfortunately, this has gone to the point that more than likely a complete engine rebuild will be necessary.

As for why you don't find any lifters is because this car does not have any lifters. The overhead cams push down directly on the valves, causing them to open. So, no need for lifters. From the "noises" that you describe, you have trashed the cams and possibly the tops of the valves due to going metal on metal. So, at a minimum, in addition to the new oil pump, a rebuild of both heads will be needed. Not an expensive job overall, but will take some time. But, because you lost oil to the top end of the motor, it would be fair to say that you also lost oil to the lower part of the engine. The possibility of crankshaft bearing damage would be fairly significant. At this point, you are pulling the pistons out of the cylinders due to lack of lubrication there too. You can probably do some preliminary measurements when you get the oil pan off to see, but I am betting that even if you recover the top half of the motor, the bottom end is going to fail shortly there after.

If you can get your hands on a used motor for fairly cheap, by the time you get all the parts to repair your current motor, you will be money ahead just dropping in a used motor. Just remember, the motor will need to come out the bottom of the car. It does not fit coming out the top.

The following users liked this post:
chiefshb (09-24-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like bottom end shells have gone to me

Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I have a similar problem, some intermittent noise at idle, goes away in drive
Turn air on it gets loud, almost sounds like a diesel, rev to 1500 rpm quiet as can be
Help??
Hate to junk it it is a 2003 in like new condition except the miles (205,000)
Thanks
Rob

Old 06-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenMaster Evony
Hello,
I have a similar problem, some intermittent noise at idle, goes away in drive
Turn air on it gets loud, almost sounds like a diesel, rev to 1500 rpm quiet as can be
Help??
Hate to junk it it is a 2003 in like new condition except the miles (205,000)
Thanks
Rob
Sounds like your AC compressor or clutch. Turn the air on, open the hood and listen to the compressor as it cycles on and off. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
chiefshb, from what you describe, it sounds like an oil pump to me too. Unfortunately, this has gone to the point that more than likely a complete engine rebuild will be necessary.

As for why you don't find any lifters is because this car does not have any lifters. The overhead cams push down directly on the valves, causing them to open. So, no need for lifters. From the "noises" that you describe, you have trashed the cams and possibly the tops of the valves due to going metal on metal. So, at a minimum, in addition to the new oil pump, a rebuild of both heads will be needed. Not an expensive job overall, but will take some time. But, because you lost oil to the top end of the motor, it would be fair to say that you also lost oil to the lower part of the engine. The possibility of crankshaft bearing damage would be fairly significant. At this point, you are pulling the pistons out of the cylinders due to lack of lubrication there too. You can probably do some preliminary measurements when you get the oil pan off to see, but I am betting that even if you recover the top half of the motor, the bottom end is going to fail shortly there after.

If you can get your hands on a used motor for fairly cheap, by the time you get all the parts to repair your current motor, you will be money ahead just dropping in a used motor. Just remember, the motor will need to come out the bottom of the car. It does not fit coming out the top.
Thanks for the info Thermo...I ended up getting a used engine with 52k miles on it. Had it installed by someone as I am not on that level of handiness. I can do quite a bit, but I know when to step back. Got the engine and labor for $2,400.