F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine is replaced/blown - F-Type R - Oil STARVATION!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostiest
Just Sin said, it's not over until they PROVE it's the tune that caused that. If I'm not mistaken it's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that states basically, that they have to prove it.
Nope. That is not AT ALL what MMA is about. In fact MMA could be on Jaguar's side in this case because an aftermarket tune CAN have DIRECT impact on the way your engine runs. In fact, proof that a 3rd-party tune did not cause the issue would be on YOU, not the dealer or Manufacturer. IMHO your best bet is to ensure that your lawyers that understand the laws continues the lemon law angle.

PS - Like you, I am not a lawyer .

Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
@zmoothg

While it is uphill battle, you are not yet SOL. I suggest you pay an independent shop to determine the root cause of oil consumption. If it can be clearly linked to a flaw in production (e.g. bad oil scraper ring, flaw in cylinder surface) you can get reimbursed for engine replacement.

That is, JLR will always say "no warranty" for tuned engines and will not investigate the cause of engine failure any further. However, there are a lot of cases when the tune in not at fault. There are also a lot of cases where it is unclear, and JLR will successfully blame tune. It is rare, but does happen, when tune gradually destroy the engine. Most of the time bad tunes grenade the engine on the first or second pull at the dyno.
Any idea if still say "no warranty" if the shop flashes the ECU back to factory spec and you don't apply the tune again?

So basically I'm asking if they discover a tune do they void the warranty for life of the car? Or on a per case basis. Anybody know or experienced this before?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bigdaddy
Any idea if still say "no warranty" if the shop flashes the ECU back to factory spec and you don't apply the tune again?

So basically I'm asking if they discover a tune do they void the warranty for life of the car? Or on a per case basis. Anybody know or experienced this before?
Typically it is voided for the balance of the warranty. You will find people dumping these into the used car market and then trying to sell them for the same price as if they were/are fully warranted when they should really be considered closer to a salvage value.

The following users liked this post:
SinF (11-16-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghostiest
If I'm not mistaken it's called the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that states basically, that they have to prove it.

Jaguar will not take the time to prove anything. The burden of proof will be on the person complaining. Been there done that.

NBCat (11-15-2017)
Old 11-15-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

if they discover a tune do they void the warranty for life of the car?
Life of the car. More so, if it is leased car the dealer can go after you for voiding the warranty as it diminishes car value at the time you turn it in.

Any idea if still say "no warranty" if the shop flashes the ECU back to factory spec?
It is not immediately obvious to the dealer that the car was tuned in the past if it has stock tune installed, but if JLR looks for it they will find signs of past tunes.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:35 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Life of the car. More so, if it is leased car the dealer can go after you for voiding the warranty as it diminishes car value at the time you turn it in.

no they can't. you constantly post incorrect information as fact. please stop posting bad information on subjects that you don't know about.

sts-v (11-16-2017)
Old 11-16-2017, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Read your lease agreement. If you tune leased car and get warranty voided because of a tune, you can be asked to fully buy it out instead of simply turning it in at the end. Just like you can't return a car without an engine, you can't return a car with an engine that has voided warranty.

If there are no issues - you will get away with tuning a lease. This is what happens to most people because modern engines are reliable and rarely fail while still under warranty. However, it is important to understand the risks you are assuming.

Lease agreement will definitely will be enforced if you are returning a car with engine issues or the next owner has issues and gets warranty denied because of YOUR tune.

Last edited by SinF; 11-16-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

now you're just making **** up to try and prove your point. nowhere in the lease does it say anything close to that.

it says that you cannot modify a car without their consent and that any modifications installed become the lessor's property and part of the vehicle.

it also says that as part of the return you are responsible for excess wear and tear in excess of $1000 to fix - in areas they specifically lay out, seat rips, paint damage, dents, etc.

the exception to that is low tread on tires, mismatched tires, replacement parts that do not meet manufacturer spec, or neglect (mechanical or physical).

if you blow up a motor, of course you will have to replace it. with a tune, the dealer could possibly force you to pay for a new ecu as it "has been replaced with parts that don't meet manufacturer spec", but nowhere in the lease agreement does it state that you have to buy the car.

furthermore not all lease returns are still within warranty. mine will be out of warranty if i turn it in at the very end of the lease.

Old 11-16-2017, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
now you're just making **** up to try and prove your point. nowhere in the lease does it say anything close to that.

it says that you cannot modify a car without their consent and that any modifications installed become the lessor's property and part of the vehicle.

it also says that as part of the return you are responsible for excess wear and tear in excess of $1000 to fix - in areas they specifically lay out, seat rips, paint damage, dents, etc.

the exception to that is low tread on tires, mismatched tires, replacement parts that do not meet manufacturer spec, or neglect (mechanical or physical).

if you blow up a motor, of course you will have to replace it. with a tune, the dealer could possibly force you to pay for a new ecu as it "has been replaced with parts that don't meet manufacturer spec", but nowhere in the lease agreement does it state that you have to buy the car.

furthermore not all lease returns are still within warranty. mine will be out of warranty if i turn it in at the very end of the lease.
I suppose they could ask you to pay for the ECU, but a new ECU won't bring the warranty back.. right?

Old 11-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

nowhere in the lease does it say anything close to that.
it says that you cannot modify a car without their consent
If you obtained their written consent to tune the car, then you have nothing to worry about.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

I suppose they could ask you to pay for the ECU, but a new ECU won't bring the warranty back.. right?
If this becomes an issue during turn-in, it is likely they will auction the car with full disclosure and will oblige you to reimburse the difference between buy-out and auction price plus admin fee. This will likely be in thousands of dollars.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 280 Likes on 214 Posts

It is somewhat ironic that the Jaguar Remote app's section on vehicle health monitors everything including the washer bottle but NOT oil level...

JagRag (11-17-2017)
Old 11-17-2017, 11:57 PM

Can even get oil levels to show in the little screen in the dash. Is that normal?

Old 11-18-2017, 03:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

fuel level & water temp are the only metrics graphically displayed in my center display.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

This is not very scientific, however I was concerned that the oil level reading that is available, may not be working, such as showing full when the oil is actually low.

I parked the car on a fairly steep incline and after 15 minutes (hot engine) I checked and it showed about a quarter or more of a quart down. Then I repeated the process on level ground and the level indicated full, as it should.

Did not have time to do this more than once, but at least it showed the gauge does move. Will try this again at some point.
Lawrence

Old 11-18-2017, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

If you obtained their written consent to tune the car, then you have nothing to worry about.
JLR is not going to give you approval to modify the OEM ECU so this statement is folly.

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-18-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 05:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I think that's his point.

SinF (11-29-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 11:45 PM
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

"Must have been the same tune as JVIII".

JagRag (11-19-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by JVIII
"Must have been the same tune as JVIII".
Redemption for JVIII on the design issues.

Seems these engines may need a few things:
1. A solid 5000 mile break-in period prior to be running hard.
2. Perhaps some baffles in the oil pan to prevent "slosh" under hard G-Forces, which may lead to oil starvation.
3. An old-fashion oil dipstick. (To prevent over-fill / under-fill conditions.)
4. Extra diligence on oil consumption issues when tuned above factory specs.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Oil pan baffles don’t add much when on the dyno. Ensuring adequate oil level is the better solution.