Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type 400S heated seats

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:16 AM
RRB
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type 400S heated seats

I realise this will be subjective but.........

I have an ex demo 400S convertible and I think the heated seats are rubbish.....or knackered.

The drivers seat is barely tepid, and the pax seat warmer.....how hot do yours get?

The XF I had as a curtsey car was like sitting on hot coals!

Old 04-19-2018, 06:11 AM
GGG
Received 16,798 Likes on 12,167 Posts

I've moved your question from UK & Eire Region to F-Type forum.

The Region forums are for geographically relevant topics such as meetings or recommended suppliers. The Model forums are the place for technical questions.

Graham

Old 04-19-2018, 07:04 AM
Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Put it on two bars and have to turn it off in a few minutes. Useful in the cold mornings for a suit warmer along with the heated steering wheel. Only on a few sub-zero C days do I leave it on longer.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,584 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by RRB

I have an ex demo 400S convertible and I think the heated seats are rubbish.....or knackered.

The drivers seat is barely tepid, and the pax seat warmer.....how hot do yours get?

It’s funny you should ask this (and it’s not the first time I’ve thought of it/them). I’ve had my car for 3 1/2 years and do use the seat heat during the Maine winter. When I compare it to my wife’s 2006 BMW - which at any setting burns my a$$ in no time - the [heated] seats in my 2015 V6S are, to quote you, “rubbish”. They’re adequate but no more than that. Unless, of course, there’s something wrong with them in the first place?

P.S. After reading all these other posts, I’m inclined to believe that either my seat [heat] is not working properly or that my a$$ is simply immune to heat.

Last edited by RickyJay52; 04-19-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Exactly opposite on my V6S. You turn it to one bar, it go into well-roasted mode for 2-3 minutes and only then settles on saner setting.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:59 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Interesting - I don't think I've ever set it at more than one bar; plenty warm for me.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:24 AM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

The first time I turned mine on (remember, I'm in Georgia and I'm a wimp about "cold") I cranked it to 3 bars and quickly realized I'd rarely need that. Of course before that, I didn't realize I actually had to turn the knob so when I thought I turned it on, I really didn't. Why yes, I am blonde, why do you ask?

Old 04-19-2018, 10:21 AM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

they get pretty damn hot in my 2015R. much hotter than in the 911 or my wife's new xc60

Old 04-19-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by RRB

2016 base model w/ performance seats.... 1 bar is fine. 2 bars is toasty, and back to one bar in a few minutes. 3 bars could cook an egg. Too hot to ever really use except to heat the seat up within 2 minutes or so.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
Interesting - I don't think I've ever set it at more than one bar; plenty warm for me.
+1. My wife sets hers at 3, but I get real uncomfortable with any setting more than 1.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I guess we have some that say they get really warm (a.k.a. hot) and others that say they don't even get very warm. Too early for me to respond on the F Type, mine's a 2018 R model with under 200 miles on it, picked it up new last week. But, what I can add to the conversation, my previous three cars were a 2013 GTR, a 2016 Z06 Corvette and a 2016 Challenger Hellcat. All came with heated and cooled seats, and there in lies the problem. Prior to "cooled" seats, the heated seat electric element was laid in the padding just below the seat cover....it got warm fast and in many cars, it could truly could roast ya. On my 3 prior cars mentioned, all had heated and cooled seats. In those, the heating element laid first, then the seat cooling grid and then padding and finally the seat cover, thus somewhat shielding that heat from the person sitting in the seat. I don't really mind the "just warm" seats all that much, but my wife reminds me of it all of the time....she likes it hot!

Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 AM
RRB

Thanks for the answers folks. I'm inclined to think there is something wrong. I picked our car up in November and in the spirit of I bought a convertible to drive it with the roof down not up ethos was doing exactly that. In temps of around 0 to 1c there didn't seem to be any heating in the seats.....now we are into spring time and there is no perceivable difference. I have had the car running in the garage with both seats on 3 and they do get warm, but sitting in the drivers seat it is tepid at best. Maybe a loose wire. They are however nowhere near as hot as the XF that I borrowed.

The dealer has agreed to lend me a demo convertible so I can do a direct comparison.....time will tell !

Old 04-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 373 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by RRB
Thanks for the answers folks. I'm inclined to think there is something wrong.
Someone else on the forum had similar issues:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...eaters-156993/

Might be worth having the dealer check them out. If I were dress slacks (material not as thick as denim), anything over one bar for heat literally burns the material. Denim takes the heat so it can set it has high as I can stand but rarely use three bars for anything more than just a few minutes before turning it down to two bars.

Old 04-21-2018, 07:57 PM
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Just an update to my response, above. My wife and I had a chance to check out the heated seats last evening....just like the other cars I owned with the "heated and cooled seats", they're poor. They really don't heat up much at all, probably a little better than the Z06 and equal to the GTR. It's clearly been my experience you can't get to there from here as long as the "cooled" seats are part of the equation.

Old 04-21-2018, 08:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,126 Likes on 2,304 Posts

Originally Posted by tzoid9
Just an update to my response, above. My wife and I had a chance to check out the heated seats last evening....just like the other cars I owned with the "heated and cooled seats", they're poor. They really don't heat up much at all, probably a little better than the Z06 and equal to the GTR. It's clearly been my experience you can't get to there from here as long as the "cooled" seats are part of the equation.
1. As far as I know, no F-Type has ever had cooled seats. But I could be wrong, maybe they are available on the 2018 and/or 2019 MY?
2. I had cooled and heated seats on my old 2010 XFR and believe me, when I turned the heating on they got real hot real fast!

Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 AM
RRB

Originally Posted by OzXFR
1. As far as I know, no F-Type has ever had cooled seats. But I could be wrong, maybe they are available on the 2018 and/or 2019 MY?
2. I had cooled and heated seats on my old 2010 XFR and believe me, when I turned the heating on they got real hot real fast!
They do have cooled seats....certainly my MY17 400S does and that bit works...it is however a very odd sensation, like sitting on a cold puddle as the cold seeps through to your clothes!

We were out yesterday and there is defiantly a fault, the pax seta was roasting, much to my wifes delight, the driver seat heated by me rather than the other way round !

Back to the dealer we go

Old 04-22-2018, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by RRB
They do have cooled seats....certainly my MY17 400S does and that bit works...it is however a very odd sensation, like sitting on a cold puddle as the cold seeps through to your clothes!

We were out yesterday and there is defiantly a fault, the pax seta was roasting, much to my wifes delight, the driver seat heated by me rather than the other way round !

Back to the dealer we go
Are you definite that the fault is defiant? Isn't spellcheck wonderful?

Old 05-09-2018, 04:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RRB

Hello

Mine are the hottest seats I have ever had, better then BMW and our new mini cooper ? our get really hot on 3 bars, then have to turn off

Old 05-10-2018, 05:31 AM
RRB

Originally Posted by kaspa
Hello

Mine are the hottest seats I have ever had, better then BMW and our new mini cooper ? our get really hot on 3 bars, then have to turn off
Funny you should say that Kaspa, as the Jags imo are the worst heated seats we've had.....Our X1 has some sort of lava flowing through them (I'm hoping its not to do with over heating wires in the engine !)

Anyways the F Type is back at the dealers, the A\C heater issues are the same as before after a month of "fixing" it and they have the seats to rip apart.....not a happy bunny. I took the car back today, left it running and outside and got the service manager to come out and see the issues I'm having......so fingers crossed....or they can have it back and I'll swap it for the R8 spyder in the Audi dealers next door

Old 05-10-2018, 08:47 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I vaguely recall a software update related to heated seats. Have you tried searching the forum thoroughly?