F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type 6 Speed sub-forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-Type 6 Speed sub-forum

Hello. I just bought a 2017 F-type premium 6 speed coupe and was wondering if there is a sub forum for this car. Thx

Old 07-04-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Bahaba0
Hello. I just bought a 2017 F-type premium 6 speed coupe and was wondering if there is a sub forum for this car. Thx
No, but lots of threads regarding the MT on this sub-forum. Do yourself a favor and check out the short-shifter thread.

Old 07-04-2019, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

This is mandatory read for MT owners: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/

Old 07-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
This is mandatory read for MT owners: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...action-158861/
Couldn't agree more with Unhinged's comment about the short shifter. The factory installed shifter in the car reminded me of my '72 TR6 and was not well suited for the car. Some have warned about making short shifter upgrade during the warranty period (my CPO is thru '21) in case of gearbox/clutch problems, but I decided that results in 1) not being able to enjoy the experience in the 6-speed the way that I should, and 2) the car shifts better/easier and should only better protect the gearbox/clutch.

I also agree with SinF's comment about reading the large number of Forum comments about the manual transmission. The one he pointed you to is a particularly good summarizing discussion. From reading these Forum discussions, it appears that my car came with one of the first, second generation clutches (my build date is 10/15 and that was just blind luck because I never read this Forum until after I bought my car). I have had zero problems with my clutch and as a matter of fact, it feels quite robust and well protected by the dump valve installed on the setup if you try to get on it too much (which is also the subject of discussion in this Forum) .

Based on my comment in the latter half of the comment immediately above, I have a question for those more knowledgeable in this Forum that are more up to date with the engineering of this vehicle (I'm OK mechanically with old Triumph clutches/gearboxes but those were much less sophisticated than these cars) and something I've been wondering about for a while. That is, is it possible that some of the first and second generation clutch/gearbox issues that have plagued the F Type are the result of issues with the slave cylinder leaking and/or being improperly adjusted to actuate the throw out bearing properly and this causing at least some of the problems? I ask this because there was a recent Forum post that showed that the slave cylinder had clearly been leaking within the bell housing of the transmission (and may not have been observable other than by pulling the transmission or by looking in the fluid reservoir) and one of the service items that was listed by the dealership when I bought my CPO car was "adjustment of the slave cylinder" (and BTW, they did about $12K in work to get my lemon law returned car ready to be re-sold). In the slave cylinders that I'm familiar with, you fill up the reservoir, bleed the clutch, fill up the reservoir again and away you go. The only adjustment to the throw out bearing movement was how far you pushed down on the clutch pedal. I'm interested in what those more knowledgeable than me think about this question, thanks.

Old 07-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

edNone of my 3 failed clutches showed any sign of a leaking slave cylinder. In the one reported instance of fluid discovered inside the bell housing, that most likely happened at the time of the pressure plate explosion.
BTW, other than bleeding the throw-out bearing/slave, there is no adjustment on these clutches.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Only SVR's get their own subthread. Not many of us in total.

Old 07-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
edNone of my 3 failed clutches showed any sign of a leaking slave cylinder. In the one reported instance of fluid discovered inside the bell housing, that most likely happened at the time of the pressure plate explosion.
BTW, other than bleeding the throw-out bearing/slave, there is no adjustment on these clutches.
OK, makes sense, thanks.