Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Base exhaust note question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2018, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 167 Likes on 120 Posts
Default F-Type Base exhaust note question

Here is a question for the F-Type Base owners. Is the exhaust sound of the base model quieter than "S" and "R"? Unlike most people I'm not a fans of the loud burps & crackles on the new Jags. Can I safely come home late/leave early without waking up the neighbors?

How's the handling of base vs. "S" and "R"?

Old 05-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

The base is quieter than the active exhaust but it is still louder than a regular exhaust in a sedan. You can still get pops and crackles but they are more subtle. The handling is good but the ride is a bit rougher without active dampers.

The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (05-14-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:27 AM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Up until the 2017 model year (last I checked in such detail), there were three exhausts for the V-6 cars. Sports Exhaust is the passive exhaust similar to that on an XF. Active Sports Exhaust has baffles that bypass part of the muffler at specific engine speeds, throttle applications, and driving modes. Switchable Active Exhaust is the Active Sports Exhaust with a dedicated button that leaves the baffles open at all times.

I can tell you exactly how the Switchable Active Exhaust works as that's what I have on my 340-hp V-6.

In normal mode with the exhaust button deactivated (valve closed), the F-type is quiet and sounds like any ordinary Land Rover or Jaguar with this 3.0-liter V-6 engine. Only when reaching past 5000 rpm at medium-high throttle does the valve open with that characteristic deep bellow.

In normal mode with the exhaust button activated, the valves are throttle and RPM-dependent. This is how the Active Sports Exhaust operates. It's quiet until about 3500-4000 rpm, and even then, moderate to light throttle will keep the valve open. But in many cases it will close back up. This is nice for when you want some occasional sound but without the jumpier throttle and shifting (for automatics) of dynamic mode. Some pops and crackles can be heard occasionally.

In dynamic mode, the exhaust button is automatically activated and the valves are always open. Pops and crackles are numerous during overrun and in between shifts (I have a manual). They're never delivered the same way, either. Unlike a new 911 with this kind of exhaust, which always fires four exact pops every time you back off the gas, the F-type could pop off five in a row, none, or one loud one. The variation is what makes it so entertaining and old-school. It is computerized, yes, but done in a very loose, natural way.

Now, with regard to startup. All F-types with Active or Switchable exhausts open their valves upon a cold start. They won't necessarily crackle and pop --- typically that happens when the car is shut off in dynamic mode and then restarted in this mode. After four hours without a start, the F-type defaults to the normal setting and it won't be popping. It will be loud for a few seconds and then the valve will close. Of course this is done on purpose...and the revs shoot way higher than they need to. But then, why else would you buy one if you weren't looking for excitement?

This exhaust is the second reason I bought the car after its looks. Handling and all the sports car attributes are right up there with the best, and I know the Porsche Cayman is the better car in those departments. Also the base V-6 pulls the exact same as the S until just about redline. The 40-hp and 7 lb-ft difference are not noticeable, ever. The R is another story.

The following users liked this post:
Wolfy (05-15-2018)
Old 05-15-2018, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

With the exception of start up, I find the F type with active exhaust in quiet mode to be relatively quiet.

Dave

Old 05-15-2018, 02:00 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I'd agree with the above. The base is pretty quiet driving with active exhaust off. With valves opened it is pretty cool it pops and crackles between gears on the MT.

Old 05-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I read that you can remove the pre muffler and that would give the base 6 a better sound. I have no idea if this is correct or not. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
Thx