F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F type base... What a performer....

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 11:23 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default F type base... What a performer....

I have recently acquired a 2017 F type base that I couldn't pass on due to the amazing lease possible as the result of the Brexit.
Since my intention was to purchase a car for my wife I did not even consider the S as I'm very familiar with her unfortunate driving habits.
Prior to test driving the car I managed to read countless articles on the V6 performance just to see how it would stack up against other cars. And to my disappointment eveey article published Jaguars 5.1 sec acceleration while calling the base underwhelming when it comes to straight line acceleration.
Being a bit of a car nut myself( I currently own a 16 tuned s4 and a 16 c7 z06), I wanted to know if this car could ignite a bit of excitement to the point that I could ask her for the keys once in while.
I got behind the wheel of the jag 5 min after arriving at the dealer. Put the car in dynamic and got on the gas and I was pleasantly surprised. The acceleration was very noticeable. This was not a 5 sec car. I have driving lots of 5 sec 0-60 cars and they don't have the same pull as this Beauty.
The first gear pulled hard. The second pulled harder. The third was very strong. And the 4th gear still pushed me into the seat.I was so shocked by what I was experiencing that I asked the sales guy if we are in the s car as opposed to base. I couldn't hide my excitement any long. I can actually take this car out and have fun as well....
The next day I immediately called few friends to meet at a drag race to figure out whether the seat in the pants acceleration was a just a mirage caused by the small size of the coupe's interior space helped by the loud exhaust or do the numbers actually match what I presume.
My friends ( both good drivers) got behind the wheel of my tuned s4 ( 0-60 4.2 with launch control quarter mile 12.55) and a brand new 340i ( 0-60 4.6 quarter mile 13 flat).
After 10 runs at the drag strip the jag consistently pulled 2 car lengths on the 340i while being only a carlenght behind the tuned s4.
We were all shocked ... The numbers match what I felt all along.
The base jag is a 4.5 sec 0 -60 not 5.1 and the s is probably 4.3 sec. I must say I felt a bit of disappointment since my tuned s4 didn't pull by a bigger margin as I thought it would ( all thought I did not activate the s4 lunch control as I wanted to start from the roll)
I am frustrated with the car journalists that for many facts wrong with this car
It is consistently mentioned that the base has underwhelming power and great handling both of which is not true.
The base jag is not a great handling car and the cars limits are easily realized even on the street.

The following 2 users liked this post by Teghogh:
Isaiah R. Sumlin (01-24-2020), schraderade (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:26 AM
Default F type base... What a performer....

I have recently acquired a 2017 F type base that I couldn't pass on due to the amazing lease possible as the result of the Brexit.
Since my intention was to purchase a car for my wife I did not even consider the S as I'm very familiar with her unfortunate driving habits.
Prior to test driving the car I managed to read countless articles on the V6 performance just to see how it would stack up against other cars. And to my disappointment eveey article published Jaguars 5.1 sec acceleration while calling the base underwhelming when it comes to straight line acceleration.
Being a bit of a car nut myself( I currently own a 16 tuned s4 and a 16 c7 z06), I wanted to know if this car could ignite a bit of excitement to the point that I could ask her for the keys once in while.
I got behind the wheel of the jag 5 min after arriving at the dealer. Put the car in dynamic and got on the gas and I was pleasantly surprised. The acceleration was very noticeable. This was not a 5 sec car. I have driving lots of 5 sec 0-60 cars and they don't have the same pull as this Beauty.
The first gear pulled hard. The second pulled harder. The third was very strong. And the 4th gear still pushed me into the seat.I was so shocked by what I was experiencing that I asked the sales guy if we are in the s car as opposed to base. I couldn't hide my excitement any long. I can actually take this car out and have fun as well....
The next day I immediately called few friends to meet at a drag race to figure out whether the seat in the pants acceleration was a just a mirage caused by the small size of the coupe's interior space helped by the loud exhaust or do the numbers actually match what I presume.
My friends ( both good drivers) got behind the wheel of my tuned s4 ( 0-60 4.2 with launch control quarter mile 12.55) and a brand new 340i ( 0-60 4.6 quarter mile 13 flat).
After 10 runs at the drag strip the jag consistently pulled 2 car lengths on the 340i while being only a carlenght behind the tuned s4.
The base jag is a 4.5 sec 0 -60 not 5.1 and the s is probably 4.3 sec. I must say I felt a bit of disappointment since my tuned s4 didn't pull by a bigger margin as I thought it would ( all thought I did not activate the s4 lunch control as I wanted to start from the roll)
I am frustrated with the car journalists that for many facts wrong with this car

It is consistently mentioned that the base has underwhelming power and great handling both of which is not true.
The base jag is not a great handling car and the cars limits are easily realized even though as on the street. And I don't imagine the S coupe to be much different in the handling department either.
It would be dishonest to compare this cars handeling with Cayman as the Porsche is miles ahead of the jag in the handling deportment. However the base jag has a slight advantage when it comes to straight line acceleration on the Cayman s

The following 3 users liked this post by Teghogh:
Foosh (07-18-2016), schraderade (07-18-2016), Uk2usa (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Great first post Teghogh and thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience with your wifes base F Type. I have a 15 V6 S myself and always fell like it is faster than what most reviewers are saying. I'm sure your base model wouldn't be but a car length or two behind a V6 S in a quarter mile. Theres only a 40 horsepower difference between the two and most of the gains don't occur on the V6 S until real high in the rpms.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:44 AM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

There's that, plus the Base F-Type doesn't look out of place when parked next to much more expensive icons. Yesterday we parked at Starbucks with a $250k Bentley and a $110k GTR, ok, I know there's way more difference than pure looks but I couldn't resist taking a quick pic.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:55 AM

Hey...
I live 3 miles away from there.
That the newportcoast shopping center. I was actually there yesterday.

Originally Posted by Uk2usa
There's that, plus the Base F-Type doesn't look out of place when parked next to much more expensive icons. Yesterday we parked at Starbucks with a $250k Bentley and a $110k GTR, ok, I know there's way more difference than pure looks but I couldn't resist taking a quick pic.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,076 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Not so much the reviewers as Jag - their official number is 5.1 for the base and 4.9 for the S, I think. My memory is that the S was tested at around 4.4, don't recall the base.

The base is a good car and a good value, IMO, but it certainly doesn't handle like your vette or a Porsche. It's more about theater, especially if you have the top down in a convertible.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:25 PM
Received 85 Likes on 49 Posts

Yes!! Crystal Cove, outside Starbucks. Nice to know we have another F-Type owning Neighbor.

Originally Posted by Teghogh
Hey...
I live 3 miles away from there.
That the newportcoast shopping center. I was actually there yesterday.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Since, there's only 8 ft. lbs. of torque difference between the S and base, and since it's torque that delivers acceleration, I'd expect 0-60 to be only a .1. to .2 difference at best, However, the 40 extra HP in the S delivers a higher top-end.

There's no question that the base is the best bargain by far, considering the price difference of the models above it.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:29 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,076 Likes on 1,379 Posts

The gearing is also a bit different between the base and the S.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member

True that . . .

Old 07-18-2016, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Considering that base V6 is exact same engine, minus tune, as V6S it is one heck of a deal.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

And a bit more traction with the LSD.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:38 PM
Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

The base jag is not a great handling car and the cars limits are easily realized even on the street.
Congrats on the wife's car. Glad to hear you enjoy the F type as much as many of us. Great write up and welcome to the forums..

Old 07-19-2016, 02:30 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I just went to Bear Flag Fish company today.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM
GGG
Received 16,818 Likes on 12,177 Posts

I have recently acquired a 2017 F type base .......
Welcome to the forum Teghogh,

I've merged your two identically titled threads together.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
And a bit more traction with the LSD.
Well...

With the shorter differential gearing, it may be that the S needs the LSD just to stop it spinning up.

Then there's the question of which gear can each car use to hit 60. If the base can do it a gear lower, it may be that the 0-60 times are just as Marketing-driven as the shape of the torque curve...

Last edited by F-typical; 07-19-2016 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-19-2016, 02:21 PM

Sorry must have been double posted by accident due to wifi connection going in and out

Originally Posted by GGG

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by GGG

Graham

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (07-21-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Well...

With the shorter differential gearing, it may be that the S needs the LSD just to stop it spinning up.

Then there's the question of which gear can each car use to hit 60. If the base can do it a gear lower, it may be that the 0-60 times are just as Marketing-driven as the shape of the torque curve...
True that, too. :-)

Old 07-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,640 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Regardless of the pumpkin ratio or tranny, I think you have to reach into 2nd gear to get to 60.

Quick Reply: F type base... What a performer....