F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F Type Headlight alignment help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default F Type Headlight alignment help?

Hey guys.....So I was in an accident last month and ended up having to have the right headlight replaced, along with other smaller parts. Just got my car back recently. I'm really not good with technical parts and generally not a car guy but I was driving at night and the headlights seemed slightly off, like the right one seemed to be facing down into the ground more , as opposed to straight ahead. I could be wrong I'm not sure, but do any of you know how they re-align the headlights? Is it purely based on computer settings? Is there room for assembler error? I tried looking at the lights outside the car and it looked ok but I'm thinking it could still be off and it's annoying me. Is the re-assembly of the replacement pretty straight forward or something common you have to go back in the shop for to correct? Thanks!!

Old 08-18-2015, 01:08 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

There is an adjustment and a replacement part will need to be adjusted. It should be simple enough to do, and frankly the body shop should be footing the bill. They haven't finished the job from what you're describing.

Old 08-18-2015, 08:38 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

My driver's side headlight aims a bit lower than the passenger side one - I've assumed this is intentional, to keep it out of the eyes of oncoming traffic.

Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts
Default F Type Headlight alignment help?

My XF came from the factory with the headlights pointed way down. It was nearly unsafe to drive at night. Not sure about the F Type assemblies but on the XF there are two screw holes, one for vertical and one horizontal. If you can find those, there are videos on YouTube that explain how to aim your headlights using tape marks on your garage door.

Old 08-19-2015, 07:00 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by myironlung
Hey guys.....So I was in an accident last month and ended up having to have the right headlight replaced, along with other smaller parts. Just got my car back recently. I'm really not good with technical parts and generally not a car guy but I was driving at night and the headlights seemed slightly off, like the right one seemed to be facing down into the ground more , as opposed to straight ahead. I could be wrong I'm not sure, but do any of you know how they re-align the headlights? Is it purely based on computer settings? Is there room for assembler error? I tried looking at the lights outside the car and it looked ok but I'm thinking it could still be off and it's annoying me. Is the re-assembly of the replacement pretty straight forward or something common you have to go back in the shop for to correct? Thanks!!
It's pretty straight forward:

Easiest way if you have a garage, is to use the door as a 'reflector'. Park the car say 3m back from the door with the lights on, so that you can see both beams reflecting back off the door. It's crude, but gives you a ball court idea to balance them up.

Pop your bonnet (hood) and locate the headlamp assembly. You will see two 6mm white allen key adjusters.
To change the height, insert a 6mm allen key into the LOWER adjuster and turn half a turn clockwise at a time to raise or CCW to lower.

To get them legally set to the correct height as we have to over here int eh UK, you will need a little more technical approach.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:18 AM
Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts

Reviving an old thread, I fooled around with this adjustment tonight, it works well. Thanks for the tip.

Old 11-13-2016, 07:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2013 XF lights are also pointed way down and I have tried to adjust the allen screws on top of the headlight assembly (fully clockwise) but the headlight aim didn't changed at all. I've looked for a diagram online of the headlight assembly to ensure the allen screws are the exact ones for adjustments.