Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Horror Story

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by mattusilverman
You are probably right, but having your dream car fall apart a month into ownership and possibly facing extensive troubleshooting and loss of use still counts as "worrisome" in my books. The dealership doesnt exactly seem enthusiastic to do the deep dive that is likely required but I'm fairly confident they will find and fix the problem eventually, yes.
Trust me, I get it. My car went completely missing for a month on the way to the dealership, and I ended up taking delivery of a completely different one as a result. I also had mine start overheating which led to a 2 week stay at the dealership. These things happen; its just a part of buying from a brand with a relatively poor history of reliability and customer service.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions/comments guys. I'm going to get the front end alignment done tomorrow morning - I'll probably suggest they do all 4 wheels just to be safe. Annoying that I have to pay out of pocket despite the warranty since alignments are not covered - "You must have hit something" ... (I didn't).

If it fixes the issue it'll be money well spent and a huge weight lifted though.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

I had alignment covered under warranty. After it chewed up my tires, which weren't covered despite bad factory alignment being the culprit.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:21 PM

I'll try to talk them into it, but I think due to it being a 2 year old car they may not cover it. I'm just not sure if alignment can explain the weird chunkiness / *** dragging going on. It would seem to make sense for the inability to drive straight and the steering issues though. I just want to eliminate it as a potential root cause before moving into any other troubleshooting. If alignment doesn't fix anything, I guess diving into the steering components would be the next logical step as some people mentioned above. If it is an electronic problem, I have no idea why they told me they picked nothing up in their inspection.

Last edited by mattusilverman; 07-16-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:22 PM
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

If you get no satisfaction from the current service department, is there another dealership that you can try (especially for a clear warranty issue)? I have found that, ahem, the skill sets may vary from one dealership to the next.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Take the service guy out on a drive with you and demonstrate/show him/her what the issue is.
Lawrence

Old 07-16-2017, 05:42 PM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions/comments guys. I'm going to get the front end alignment done tomorrow morning - I'll probably suggest they do all 4 wheels just to be safe. Annoying that I have to pay out of pocket despite the warranty since alignments are not covered - "You must have hit something" ... (I didn't).

If it fixes the issue it'll be money well spent and a huge weight lifted though.
You must get all 4 aligned - having just the front wheels done could leave you with even worse problems. Not sure they would even do just the front 2?

No idea if it will help or not however here is my before / after specs. As mentioned my car had started to handle horribly, tramlining badly and feeling very nervous. After the alignment it drives straight and true, zero tramlining and feels glued to the road once more.

Old 07-16-2017, 10:55 PM
Received 171 Likes on 123 Posts

I agree that this is not what I would call a horror story by a long shot. But frustrating nevertheless, and this is what annoys me about at least some dealers. They no longer employe mechanics who are experienced at diagnosing problems they just have the tech look at the error codes and if there isnt something they can replace they throw thei hands in teh air and say there is no problem. If your dealer is one of these it can sometimes be worth finding a good independent who can spend some time and sort these issues out.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The warranty certainly will cover the cost of repairs, but the Lemon Law in Washington State probably does not apply. It applies only to vehicles with less than 24,000 miles and 2 years since the time of the initial service date.
Lemon Laws are only applicable to NEW vehicles. The OP stated that he bought this one used so, it would not qualify for LL even if it came from a Jaguar dealership. I agree with the others, it just sounds like he may have hit something and knocked the alignment out of whack

Last edited by ndabunka; 07-17-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

If the alignment doesn't cure your ills have them take a strong look at your EPAS (Electronic Power Assisted Steering). A few folks on the Corvette Forum have had some issues with the C7 EPAS and the car becomes very difficult to steer. Best of luck on rectifying your dilemma.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Tally Ho
If the alignment doesn't cure your ills have them take a strong look at your EPAS (Electronic Power Assisted Steering). A few folks on the Corvette Forum have had some issues with the C7 EPAS and the car becomes very difficult to steer. Best of luck on rectifying your dilemma.
i believe he said this is a 15my which would be a hydraulic power steering car.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:41 AM

SO I went and got an alignment done, and the right side was pretty far out of spec. I'll post the before/after here shortly. They also reset the adaptive transmission.

It seems like the hard pull to the left and right has gotten better as a result, but the extremely heavy steering and the chunky slowdowns while coasting are sadly still present. I drove another F-Type while I was there and the difference in steering was night and day. It was a 2014 S, so not the exact same model... but it still felt like mine USED to before this issue.

I'm going to take it back in because I'm not going to settle until the car is back to feeling good to drive again, but I'm at a loss for ideas now other than to take a hard look at the mechanical side of the steering, etc.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

What do you mean by chunky? If only apparent during slowdown, it may be a drivetrain issue rather than steering.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

SO I went and got an alignment done, and the right side was pretty far out of spec. I'll post the before/after here shortly. They also reset the adaptive transmission.

It seems like the hard pull to the left and right has gotten better as a result, but the extremely heavy steering and the chunky slowdowns while coasting are sadly still present. I drove another F-Type while I was there and the difference in steering was night and day. It was a 2014 S, so not the exact same model... but it still felt like mine USED to before this issue.

I'm going to take it back in because I'm not going to settle until the car is back to feeling good to drive again, but I'm at a loss for ideas now other than to take a hard look at the mechanical side of the steering, etc.
If I was in your situation the service manager or senior tech would be going out on a drive with me so we could start off agreeing that there is a problem and what the symptom is...

By the way, my F type R does gear down somewhat, from a hard run if I slow down quickly, so it does have a wee bit of a 'slowdown' feel due to the gearing down and what mine does is normal.. yours might be something different.
Lawrence

Old 07-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stohlen
i believe he said this is a 15my which would be a hydraulic power steering car.
Missed that piece of info - carry on.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 PM

Ok so what I mean by the slowdown.. essentially whenever I am not accelerating the car doesnt gracefully coast, it feels like it pushes back and wants to slow down much too fast and too early. Maybe this is the gearing down described above but it doesnt feel normal to me, it makes the car feel really heavy and the ride feels unsmooth as a result. I can nearly guarantee it wasnt doing it before, or at least not to this extreme as I am super conscious of it every time I drive now.

I am wondering if the really heavy steering is exacerbating the slowdown feel due to the clunky handling, or vice versa, or whether I am just insane at this point.

Last edited by mattusilverman; 07-19-2017 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Jack up the 4 corners sequentially and make certain the wheels are spinning freely (e-brake off). One of your calipers may be bound up. Do any of the brakes smell "burnt" after a drive?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 AM

Question - could what I'm feeling with the sudden deceleration be related to "Deacceleration Fuel Cut Off" ? I'm used to driving older cars so this part may be by design, but I really dislike it. Is it possible to tune/disable this?

Regardless of whether this is an intended feature, the steering is still majorly problematic in my car. EXTREMELY heavy steering and the wheel failing to return to center, pulling left/right, all after alignment.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Ref the steering: Have the mechanic actually drive the car, don't just describe the problem verbally.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:57 AM

The first time, the service representative took it for a short drive and agreed the steering was heavy. The mechanic has also driven it, but doesn't seem to acknowledge or understand the extremity of the stiffness / failure to return to center.

They haven't looked into anything mechanical yet - first time they reset the ECU, second time they just did the alignment and reset adaptive transmission.