F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Jacking Points Exact Location

Old 01-25-2016, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Yes, I think the final consensus and what I did was to use the area portrayed by your blue box w/ a hockey puck or something to keep the head of the jack from gouging that area.

You could also use the ridge between your blue and black boxes, if you had a hockey puck carved out as in post #13.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
CaptainHam (01-25-2016), Unhingd (01-25-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 03:58 PM
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks Foosh. Don't worry, I'll be sending my man-badge back after this, need to earn it all over again for being a scaredy-cat dumbass

Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by CaptainHam
Thanks Foosh. Don't worry, I'll be sending my man-badge back after this, need to earn it all over again for being a scaredy-cat dumbass
You certainly didn't lose your "man-badge" because it's a legit question that vexed a number of us a year or so back. I was as concerned as you were, and so were many others.

Old 01-25-2016, 08:39 PM
Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

You have the V6S coupe. From your pic, it appears the R model set-up is not like the same, at least in my '15 model. With that caution in mind, we are talking the front jacking point, right? I lift the FRONT in the area you marked in blue--it's beefy. But before lifting, I first place a hard rubber donut (about 100mm wide by 15 mm thick, similar to a hockey puck, but wider and thinner) on the jack pad to cushion the lift.

You didn't mention the REAR lift. On my R, the reinforced jacking rail is located further inboard than the front rail, adjacent to a support plate. I lift from inside of the "triangle" area surrounded by the three fasteners that are holding the support plate (a modified hockey puck works here).

BTW, no need to ridicule anyone who tries, right?

The following 2 users liked this post by deltagroup:
CaptainHam (01-26-2016), Panthro (07-15-2017)
Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by deltagroup
You didn't mention the REAR lift. On my R, the reinforced jacking rail is located further inboard than the front rail, adjacent to a support plate. I lift from inside of the "triangle" area surrounded by the three fasteners that are holding the support plate (a modified hockey puck works here).
The V6 is the same , and I use the same technique in the rear that you described above.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-25-2016 at 09:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
deltagroup (01-25-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:10 AM

...we are talking the front jacking point, right?

You didn't mention the REAR lift.
Yeah, it was front only that I was referring to. I was happy with the rear already, I suffered a puncture pre-Christmas so I watched the roadside assist guy jack the rear and was happy with the rear placement (exactly as you suggested).

I did ask about the front at the time, but he just gave a casual "It's marked with an arrow", which I accepted; however, on subsequent inspection, I wasn't so happy until checking with you guys!

I still have a painful memory of crushing part of a previous car trying this once, the area I chose looked like a solid support/frame but turns out it was made of butter, so that didn't end too well for me!

Thanks both, much appreciated.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:43 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed my wheels a couple of weeks back and went for option C from the OP. I hadn't seen this post before hand but it worked out fine. The manual could do with being a lot clearer on this subject.

Old 01-26-2016, 04:31 AM
Tel
Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Not too sure if this may help all working out where to jack their cars?
This, at least is for the V8's.

The following 4 users liked this post by Tel:
adsjag2016* (08-24-2021), Bret_T (02-06-2016), CaptainHam (01-26-2016), caunyd (02-05-2016)
Old 01-26-2016, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tel
Thanks Tel. Yeah I saw that on one of the other posts I found here when I did an initial search. Very informative, but at the same time it wasn't reassuring enough for me...I wanted to make sure I was millimetre perfect so I didn't go crushing the underside!

Old 01-26-2016, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Works for the V6 as well.

Old 01-26-2016, 11:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WaltB
I use Hockey pucks. Work great.

Thanks Shift, here is another one.

Walt

Well Walt, I don't know if there was a competition but you just "mic dropped" every other competitor. You win!

Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 AM
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

OK. I've got the jacking points down from this thread. But what about where to place jack stands once the car has been lifted with a floor jack? (Not all of us have a lift in their garage like WaltB.)

On my other cars, I've been able to ID alternate jack points for the floor jack which was out of the way enough to place a jack stand at the OEM jack points OR place the jack stands at major suspension support parts (eg, inner lower control-arm joint/knuckle).

TIA for any assistance.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have actual pictures of the rear jacking points, as CaptainHam did in post #20? I'm afraid I might be confused when I actually need to jack up the car to install my wheels. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2016, 07:11 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by caunyd
Does anyone have actual pictures of the rear jacking points, as CaptainHam did in post #20? I'm afraid I might be confused when I actually need to jack up the car to install my wheels. Thanks!
It's tough to get a good picture, but if you look under the car just behind the arrow pointing to the rear jack point and just in front of the rear wheels, you will see a chassis support with 3 bolts as pictured below. Place the jack in the middle of the 3 bolts.

The following 2 users liked this post by Foosh:
caunyd (02-05-2016), Panthro (11-10-2017)
Old 02-05-2016, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sonny2
OK. I've got the jacking points down from this thread. But what about where to place jack stands once the car has been lifted with a floor jack? (Not all of us have a lift in their garage like WaltB.)

On my other cars, I've been able to ID alternate jack points for the floor jack which was out of the way enough to place a jack stand at the OEM jack points OR place the jack stands at major suspension support parts (eg, inner lower control-arm joint/knuckle).

TIA for any assistance.
Great question. I think it's well settled here that we can safely lift at the previously identified corner jacking points for say, a wheel install. And, once lifted, I believe the pinch moldings would work for jack stand placement at each corner. But the question remains--where can we safely lift at both the front and rear of the car in order to place a jack stand at each corner?

In the front, a plastic "skid plate" covers what I expect is the front cross member that should safely work as the front jacking point. But, in the rear, a transverse support member between the radius arms (Careful--those guys bend!) does not appear sturdy enough to serve as the rear jacking point. So, short of our knocking on WaltB's door (j/k Walt), perhaps someone can share a safe lifting point for both front and rear. Anyone?

sonny2 (02-06-2016)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by caunyd
Here's the same pic as Foosh's, but from a slightly different angle.

Yellow arrow marks the "lip" that you'd slot into with a portable jack (they probably have a better name than that), the red rectangle marks the area you can use a trolley jack on (on the black support in between the 2 exposed bolts).

Last edited by CaptainHam; 02-06-2016 at 08:30 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by CaptainHam:
caunyd (02-10-2016), deltagroup (02-06-2016), Mbourne (02-06-2016), mjm3457 (02-06-2016), Panthro (11-10-2017)
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 PM

My question, Captain, is where to lift both front (or both rear) corners off the ground at the same time rather than lifting one corner at a time. Lifted thusly, a jack stand can be safely placed at each of the two front (or rear) pinch moldings (lips), as you suggest. IOW, I'm interested in lifting the entire car off the ground, not just one corner.

Lifting and placing a jack stand one corner at a time can be risky if the intent is to lift the entire car. I say this fully admitting that in my distant past, I did just that. While it can be done depending greatly on the capacity and height of the jack stand, I would caution against it. So, if I'm unable to identify safe front and rear lifting points, I'll likely go with a couple trolley jacks positioned on each corner (front or rear). This I've done before though it takes longer.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:37 AM

My question, Captain, is where to lift both front (or both rear) corners off the ground at the same time rather than lifting one corner at a time.
Yep, I get that, but unfortunately I can't help you there.

My last post was in response to caunyd's request for clarification on the individual rear jack points, for single wheel removal at a time. Now that bit I could at least assist with.

Old 02-07-2016, 10:06 AM

"...My last post was in response to caunyd's request for clarification on the individual rear jack points, for single wheel removal at a time. Now that bit I could at least assist with."
I shoulda spotted that. Duh.

Old 09-17-2016, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,113 Likes on 2,296 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel

Just checking the jacking points on my new to me F-Type S coupe, and this picture is incorrect for the F-Type.
It is a picture of the XF V8 (S or R) axle stand points, you can tell it is an XF and not an F-Type by the shape of the rear mufflers.
Also, these are the XF axle stand points and not the jacking points, the jacking points are outboard of these on metal ridges.

zmoothg (11-22-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-Type Jacking Points Exact Location