Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-Type Jacking Points Exact Location

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2017, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
What's confusing to me is that several others have mentioned using a hockey puck. 3 inches in diameter. Without putting my head under the car, I estimate that is at least 0.5 inches too wide to fit.

Oz, what's the diameter of your jack head? And how do you go about getting the jack you just linked under the car with as tall as it is? Do you drive up on a ramp first?
Nati,
The diameter of my jack head is 47 mm or around 1 and 7/8 inches.
That's the part of the head that takes the weight, of course it sits in a "cup" which is a bit wider but sits below the head.
Those linked pics show the jack fully raised, when it's "down" it's quite low and would fit under a very much lowered car. I just measured the minimum height as 85 mm or around 3 and 3/8 inches.
Years ago when I had my old XFS I lowered it on Eibach springs and then discovered that my "normal" trolley jacks were too high to get under the car even at their lowest possible height, so I had to run out and buy a pair of "low entry" jacks. The low entry ones usually cost a fair bit more than the normal ones.

Old 11-12-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Well lance I don't know where you get your hockey pucks but in Ohio they don't have holes in them! ;-)
I play in the Guinea Bissau Division. This is where we source our pucks:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
eeeeek (08-15-2018), FR500GT (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I play in the Guinea Bissau Division. This is where we source our pucks:https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just ordered one. Thanks Lance.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

Okay, so this thread has helped me greatly with jacking points, but I'm still a bit confused on where jack stands go.

Is this the correct placement? For reference, this is the front drivers (US) side of the car. Is the jack stand in the right position as seen below?

F-Type Jacking Points Exact Location-4fe3y2u.jpg

Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 173 Posts

So I'm just going to assume these jacking points are correct...

Here's what I did for the rears.

Jack right here with 2/3 of a hockey puck to fit in between the bolts:
F-Type Jacking Points Exact Location-q9vi8uq.jpg

Jacks here with half a hockey puck in top of the jack pads. For reference, I'm using ESCO jack stands.

F-Type Jacking Points Exact Location-4tniwti.jpg

Old 08-15-2018, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 256 Posts

I think those spots are fine. I actually have used my jack to raise the car from the rear at the location you have placed the rear jack stand. With a low profile jack it's easy to approach that spot from directly behind the car and get it off the ground without any tire interference.

Old 08-15-2018, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Thanks for the link. I just ordered a couple.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

not greatest pic, but here is where my suspension guy put jacks...

Old 01-10-2021, 04:38 PM
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Getting the car up on 4 jackstands for a lowered F-Type. Let me know if I missed anything.

Last edited by sparayno1; 01-10-2021 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-10-2021, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,122 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by sparayno1
Getting the car up on 4 jackstands for a lowered F-Type. Let me know if I missed anything.

https://youtu.be/8HYzuslF02w
Completely different to the way I have done it!
1. The front jacking points are on the frame rails about 2" in from the sills and not wide enough to fit a large diameter jack head on. My trolley jacks have much smaller heads, approximately 2" wide vs 4" wide.
2. The rear jacking points are the triangular pieces (with the three bolts each) that you have used for the axle stands.
3. The locations of these jacking points are shown by small triangular indents on the undersides of the sills.
4. Those jacking points are designed for emergency roadside use, such as changing out a flat, using the supplied scissor jack. I never use the scissor jack in the garage.
5. My trolley jacks, although "low entry", are nowhere near as big or long as yours so they don't reach the front inner frame rails you used, which rules out that method for me.
6. I would never jack up the rear end using the diff casing as the support point, I would be too worried about possible damage!
7. Once jacked up I put axle stands under the front on the outer frame rail just in front off where the jack is. It's a tight squeeze but not too hard. For the rear I put the axle stands on the inner frame rails, as that triangular piece is already occupied by the jack. Difficult to get them right under and lined up but can be done.
8. It helps to differentiate between jacking points and axle stand points, they are (or should be) two different things. The Owner's Handbook and the Workshop Manual attempt to do this but both botch it completely, showing the same totally wrong diagram (it's from either the XK or the XF) for both.

Old 01-10-2021, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Completely different to the way I have done it!
1. The front jacking points are on the frame rails about 2" in from the sills and not wide enough to fit a large diameter jack head on. My trolley jacks have much smaller heads, approximately 2" wide vs 4" wide.
2. The rear jacking points are the triangular pieces (with the three bolts each) that you have used for the axle stands.
3. The locations of these jacking points are shown by small triangular indents on the undersides of the sills.
4. Those jacking points are designed for emergency roadside use, such as changing out a flat, using the supplied scissor jack. I never use the scissor jack in the garage.
5. My trolley jacks, although "low entry", are nowhere near as big or long as yours so they don't reach the front inner frame rails you used, which rules out that method for me.
6. I would never jack up the rear end using the diff casing as the support point, I would be too worried about possible damage!
7. Once jacked up I put axle stands under the front on the outer frame rail just in front off where the jack is. It's a tight squeeze but not too hard. For the rear I put the axle stands on the inner frame rails, as that triangular piece is already occupied by the jack. Difficult to get them right under and lined up but can be done.
8. It helps to differentiate between jacking points and axle stand points, they are (or should be) two different things. The Owner's Handbook and the Workshop Manual attempt to do this but both botch it completely, showing the same totally wrong diagram (it's from either the XK or the XF) for both.
Very informative post. I appreciate your response. That definitely makes more sense now.

Old 01-11-2021, 12:00 AM
Received 109 Likes on 74 Posts

I've never used the frame rails before, I'll have to see when I do my lowering spring install if my jack is able to reach that far. Sounds like a good way of not crowding the indicated jacking point.

On my G35, I jacked from the rear diff tons of times and never had an issue..

Old 01-11-2021, 12:40 AM

Same, I have used the rear diff to jack up the rear on my e93 335i many times without issue as well. I understand the rear diff on these cars are very sensitive.

Old 01-11-2021, 01:32 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,065 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I bought one of the pucks with a slot through it, at someone’s recommendation here. Goes over one of the rails, though I’ve never jacked the car up so I haven’t tried it.