F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type R Carbon/Ceramic brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 12:37 AM
Received 92 Likes on 73 Posts
Default F-type R Carbon/Ceramic brakes.

I want to get some input on the F-type Carbon/Ceramic brakes. I want to order with them, but I've never drove a car with them. Only what I've read and that can be conflicting from different articles. Some say they don't feel right until they are hot, some say otherwise. One review says they speak, another says they don't sqeak.

My 03 STR, are brembo stock steel obviously but sqeak like a mother when they heat up ever since it was new, and the brake dust is incredible. They go from spotless to dusty in just a short drive.

I think the C/C brakes make the F-type. I'm just hoping for good news when it comes to sqeaking, dust and brake feel.

Thanks in advance for any input.

The following users liked this post:
George Smith (06-15-2021)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalJagS
I want to get some input on the F-type Carbon/Ceramic brakes. I want to order with them, but I've never drove a car with them. Only what I've read and that can be conflicting from different articles. Some say they don't feel right until they are hot, some say otherwise. One review says they speak, another says they don't sqeak.

My 03 STR, are brembo stock steel obviously but sqeak like a mother when they heat up ever since it was new, and the brake dust is incredible. They go from spotless to dusty in just a short drive.

I think the C/C brakes make the F-type. I'm just hoping for good news when it comes to sqeaking, dust and brake feel.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Hi SoCalJagS,

You're about to get bombarded by a lot of members here who DON'T have CCB's, justifying their choice for not getting them.

You will inevitably be pointed to this thread where the discussion has been played out in detail, so I'll get in first...
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...brakes-135628/

I have CCB's so my firsthand experience is that they are really effective (saved me twice today), develop a tiny bit of squeal if only used lightly all the time, but a serious stop will get rid of that pretty quickly. They look fantastic, and I have had two instances where people pulled up at the lights next to me and specifically photographed the brakes.

They are very expensive, no doubt, and that is a significant enough reason advanced by many people for not buying them.

It is claimed in the thread above that Evo's test of them vs iron proves they're not worth it. There is a discussion of the flawed methodology in that test too, so you can draw your own conclusion.

If you are planning to track your car, then they are definitely a good idea.

I have not regretted my choice for even one second.

Cheers,
Oz

Panthro (10-21-2016)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:54 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

My wife has a 2015 V8 S with the CCB's. The look awesome, feel awesome, I've never hear any squeak or squeal from them and no brake dust at all. The wheels that come with them look great too. If you don't care about the price, get them!

Old 03-03-2015, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Black15
My wife has a 2015 V8 S with the CCB's. The look awesome, feel awesome, I've never hear any squeak or squeal from them and no brake dust at all. The wheels that come with them look great too. If you don't care about the price, get them!
Oh yes - the lack of brake dust is a wonderful bonus!

Old 03-03-2015, 05:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Even though I am unlikely to track the car, and despite all the reasons to the contrary that were expressed in the other thread, I would certainly opt for the CCBs. However, they are unfortunately not offered with the 6 speed. My reasons would include in order of importance: 1) substantial un-sprung weight reduction,2) significantly reduced dust, and 3) reduced maintenance costs over the next 2 or 3 decades.

Panthro (10-21-2016)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by OzRisk
Hi SoCalJagS,

You're about to get bombarded by a lot of members here who DON'T have CCB's, justifying their choice for not getting them.

You will inevitably be pointed to this thread where the discussion has been played out in detail, so I'll get in first...

I have CCB's so my firsthand experience is that they are really effective (saved me twice today), develop a tiny bit of squeal if only used lightly all the time, but a serious stop will get rid of that pretty quickly. They look fantastic, and I have had two instances where people pulled up at the lights next to me and specifically photographed the brakes.

They are very expensive, no doubt, and that is a significant enough reason advanced by many people for not buying them.

It is claimed in the thread above that Evo's test of them vs iron proves they're not worth it. There is a discussion of the flawed methodology in that test too, so you can draw your own conclusion.

Cheers,
Oz
Oz, thank you for pointing out this thread. I am new on here, and couldn't find anything with the search feature. I know they are a needless expense, but that could be said of the car in general. And I know everyday I would regret not getting them for the way they look alone. It's always the things I don't do that I regret. Thanks again!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 340 Posts

Like the other options it comes down to whether you think they are worth it. At 10% the price of the car it is expensive...you could get a nice set of wheels for example for $10k. Then again the carbon fiber mirror covers are $1k so in that regards the CC brakes seem like a deal.

buickfunnycar.com (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member

It's always the things I don't do that I regret.
Great philosophy! I like it!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

Hi SoCalJagS,

Cheers,
Oz
Oz may however be considered to be suffering from some "Confirmation Bias" in his assertion that the methodology was flawed. I miss-quoted the article, but that's not the same as flaws in the methodology of the test itself.

So:
No brake dust;
Never having to replace the pads/disks (unless you keep it for a really long time...);
Bragging rights.

If you track it, you may also benefit from reduced unsprung weight and rotational inertia (the latter can be felt on the road too with some models).
Additionally if you are the Last of the Late Brakers, you may notice that the brakes are completely consistent no matter how long you stay on track.

Fundamentally, if you like the look of them (plus the wheels that come with them), and you can afford them, why not?

There may be other Options and Accesories that you prefer for the money however.

Have fun.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by F-typical
Oz may however be considered to be suffering from some "Confirmation Bias" in his assertion that the methodology was flawed. I miss-quoted the article, but that's not the same as flaws in the methodology of the test itself.

So:
No brake dust;
Never having to replace the pads/disks (unless you keep it for a really long time...);
Bragging rights.

If you track it, you may also benefit from reduced unsprung weight and rotational inertia (the latter can be felt on the road too with some models).
Additionally if you are the Last of the Late Brakers, you may notice that the brakes are completely consistent no matter how long you stay on track.

Fundamentally, if you like the look of them (plus the wheels that come with them), and you can afford them, why not?

There may be other Options and Accessories that you prefer for the money however.

Have fun.
I know but when I build the car on the website that I want to order, the only thing that I don't opt for is the suede interior, the Black pack and the carbon fiber pack. I doesn't leave much else.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:46 PM
Veteran Member

So:
No brake dust;
Bragging rights.

There may be other Options and Accesories that you prefer for the money however.

Have fun.
*sigh*

I did warn you, SoCalJagS, didn't I?

FTypical... The irons completely failed at one point in the test where they then stopped it. The CCB's didn't show any sign of fade, but Evo chose to stop the test at the same point, and then draw the conclusion that the irons are somehow better because they're cheaper and their average stopping time over their limited life before failure was comparative to the CCB's. Huh??? If they had've done a CCB test up to their point of failure first, looked at that average, then tried to get the irons to match that, they would've drawn a totally different conclusion ( after they stopped laughing )!

Anyway, I just pointed him to the thread and suggested he draw his own conclusions.

Old 03-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 177 Likes on 151 Posts

20 emergency stops from 100mph. Live a little.

I did point out the plus points...

OzRisk (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 854 Posts

Sigh again . . . I don't expect that I'll ever have that problem on my street only F-Type.

OzRisk (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 03:21 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,066 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I try to limit that to once a day. 20 seems excessive.

Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM

*sigh*

I did warn you, SoCalJagS, didn't I?
If we had AU prices, I'd never be able to afford one. How come cars are so crazy expensive in Australia?

Old 03-03-2015, 06:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

..if you are the Last of the Late Brakers
I resemble that remark...

Old 03-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 187 Posts

At the price I think I would do a full carbon fiber pack, as I find the brakes in the performance pack just fine.

Old 03-03-2015, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

When I ordered my car I ended up with pretty much every major option, other than suede, pano roof and ceramic brakes.. the one that I should have ordered? The Ceramic Brakes.. they look great and no brake dust which is a big deal to me.
I will have to see what pads I can order that will reduce the copious amount of dust that these brakes produce.
Lawrence

Old 03-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Veteran Member

If we had AU prices, I'd never be able to afford one. How come cars are so crazy expensive in Australia?
We have a ridiculous luxury car tax of 33%, for starters, that applies to all cars over about $62k. It was supposed to protect our local car industry, but Ford, GM Holden and Toyota have all closed manufacturing here in the last few years, so it was a monumental failure, and any basis for continuing the tax is complete BS now - they are just reaming us for revenue.

Then on top of that is our 10% Goods and Sales Tax, so more hard earned dollars off to fund govt inefficiency.

Shipping costs to Aus probably cost a little bit more too. And we have a smaller market, which means individual margins need to stay high at the premium end or those dealers would struggle to survive.

But yes, there is a large component that is unexplainable.

We know we're being screwed, but for heavens sake, they don't even kiss us first!

Last edited by OzRisk; 03-03-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

I did point out the plus points...
Yes, you did - I'm just yanking your chain. You should know that by now! Heh-heh.

Quick Reply: F-type R Carbon/Ceramic brakes.