Sponsored by:

F Type R coupe compared to Porsche 911 Turbo S

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 09:37 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default F Type R coupe compared to Porsche 911 Turbo S

Hi guys,
my good friend has a new Porsche Turbo S, white exterior with two tone Interior, black and grey. The car has the yellow brake calipers with ceramic brake setup. Beautiful rims, Amazing​ powerful stereo system. The car has 560 horsepower and is all wheel drive. The car also has LED headlights. Tires are, 305 rear and 245 front. The exterior of the car has black color accents done so tastefully. Black color GT wing and black color air intake ports on left and right side of the car. Turbo S decal affixed to the lower area of the exterior door. I have to say the car is brutally fast. It's a rocket ship ! Faster than the Jaguar R, and probably faster than the SVR model. We drove to lower Manhattan, the Village section. Both men and women could not help but stare at the car. Men frequently would do the thumbs up gesture. It's a total notice me ride ! The car gets so much attention . What i do the like about this car is the engine sound or lack of sound. It's sounds sterile. The turbo kills the exhaust sound which is a shame. The car might as well be made by TESLA. At times my friend had the car doing 150 MPH and the car handles so good ! But....
Very little exhaust sound. This ruined it for me especially because I love the sound of the F Type R exhaust. The Porsche costs
$ 245,000. I honestly prefer my Jaguar.

Last edited by Ubad2; 06-04-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-04-2017, 10:27 PM
Received 333 Likes on 201 Posts

GT wing on a Porsche = ugly as far as I am concerned. As for the speed, it's irrelevant because of speed limits. You have the right car because it sounds as good as it looks!

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 11:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 343 Likes on 256 Posts

I had a beautiful 911 and then a very nice CTS-V. The F-type gets about 25x as many looks and compliments.

Totally agree with the top speed thing also. We live in the surveillance state. My guess if he got away with doing 150 mph it was one of those times that could be counted in short seconds.

I love marketing where manufacturers will pimp a special edition having a higher top speed or AMG and their 30hp adds/speed limiter removed sillyness.

Silly in the USA anyway.

The 2015r to me is the perfect car. All the fun and drama without having to go to jail being the guy that just had to try 180.

Kind of like the difference between a rumbling Harley and a sewing machine sounding, but extremely fast, crotch rocket.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 06-04-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 214 Posts

With a price tag of twice the Jag, it doesn't seem quite like an apples to apples comparison...and I have come to realize that my Jag makes me happy because of the overall package including that wonderful exhaust note orchestra even when well within the speed limits....

Old 06-05-2017, 12:18 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey this is a good thread for me to hijack!

First of all, 150 on the street is asking for death(s). It's dumb.

Onto the cars... it's easier to enjoy an F type on the street due to the exhaust sound. The engine has a gradual powerband that gives the sensation you expect from a performance car. It's a hoot when you stab the pedal and take it to redline. It gets stronger with each extra revolution.

The 911TT has turbo lag. It's not a lot, but it takes time for those babies to spool up and you can feel it. It also basically drops off at high RPM, but it's better than most Turbo motors. The sound is vacuum-like. It's not good, but I've heard some with exhausts that sound pretty-good-but-not-great.

It's vehicle dynamics where the TT outshines the SVR. The turn-in is close to perfection from an AWD car, the steering is super precise, the rear end is planted, and it's almost idiot proof. You can feel mechanical things occurring to take the front and rear through turns.

The SVR's front tires are difficult to pinpoint on turn-in. You just can't see over the curvy hood, the front end is a little unwilling and heavy, and the steering isn't filled with feedback. However, because the rear end is NOT planted, you can induce throttle oversteer easily to help rotate the car. It's a nice feeling around tracks with long sweepers. You can tell this car began as a RWD animal. Ultimate grip is probably about the same.

In terms of acceleration, there's no comparison. The Turbo S is a rocket. It loses steam in the upper revs, but it's as fast as a Mclaren 570S once it gets scooting. However, I found that the SVR is more trustworthy because the thrust is there when you need it and the Turbo S needs a little time to build it even with the technology used to mitigate lag. The Jag is always ready to move forward.

The Turbo S is a better car, but it's a numbers car. It's difficult to enjoy when you're not beating the snot out of it. Still a phenomenal vehicle, though.

Last edited by hoonery; 06-05-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Received 89 Likes on 57 Posts

I love the German engineering, Porsche makes fabulous cars.
German parts content on the F-Type is 51%+
F-Type is the best of German engineering "with a British soul."
F-Type is not as "sterile" as the clinically excellent Porsche, it has a real personality and killer looks.
How alive are you?

Old 06-07-2017, 03:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

For $245k, you can have an SVR with $100k to shop for a second toy of your choice.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaguny
For $245k, you can have an SVR with $100k to shop for a second toy of your choice.
$245k? Maybe if you throw a few kilos of cocaine in the frunk. Mine is coming out to $197 with a discount.

Also factor in depreciation. F types do not hold value at all. Porsches fare much better.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by hoonery
$245k? Maybe if you throw a few kilos of cocaine in the frunk. Mine is coming out to $197 with a discount.

Also factor in depreciation. F types do not hold value at all. Porsches fare much better.
Most of the specced out turbo S are sale are well north of $200k, up to $280k. At least that's the asking price.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Veteran Member

Porsche = sterile pretty much sums it up for me.

F-Type = looks and drama. More fun. When I shopped for a van, I chose practicality and function. Personal car - fun at top of list.

Go on a 100 mile trip with a buddy in either car and the F-Type is simply more FUN.

As said above, the Porsche is FUN also but to make it fun you must risk your license. Harley vs Crotch Rocket bike, same.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mark G
Most of the specced out turbo S are sale are well north of $200k, up to $280k. At least that's the asking price.
I don't mean this to insult you, but are you sure you're not talking about the GT3 RS? If you add every option on a Turbo S, you'd still be hard pressed to pass $210k.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Burt Gummer
Porsche = sterile pretty much sums it up for me.

F-Type = looks and drama. More fun. When I shopped for a van, I chose practicality and function. Personal car - fun at top of list.

Go on a 100 mile trip with a buddy in either car and the F-Type is simply more FUN.

As said above, the Porsche is FUN also but to make it fun you must risk your license. Harley vs Crotch Rocket bike, same.
The F type is only marginally more fun because of the exhaust sound, but in terms of driving dynamics, it's a step behind. I agree the Turbo S is sterile, but the Jaguar isn't a huge thrill either on the highway. They're both extremely comfortable cruisers.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

I don't mean this to insult you, but are you sure you're not talking about the GT3 RS? If you add every option on a Turbo S, you'd still be hard pressed to pass $210k.
never underestimate the ability of Porsche to charge for the smallest thing.....THEN add the extra dealer charges most tack on. Love the cars, hate needing lube to buy one.

Here the SVR starts at $142,500 and every available option gets you to $172,000 and the Porsche starts at $218,400 and going through the option sheet, I got to $270,000 without breaking a sweat.....of course that's here but it shows the massive difference in pricing......nevermind the fact that the SVR comes standard with most of the extras Porsche wants you to pay a ton of money for. The last quote I got from a Porsche dealer was 8% OVER MSRP. no thanks.

Dave

Old 06-09-2017, 03:28 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

($CA, presumably)

Old 06-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by DJS
($CA, presumably)
Yep; sorry I could have said CAD rather than "here".

Cheers,
Dave

Old 06-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

$245k was UBads number. The SVR can be had for probably 20k less than msrp. In my mind their very different cars.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Pics of P Car

I took a few photos today of my friend's​

Porsche car.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (07-03-2017)
Old 07-03-2017, 11:44 PM
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Still its a.....Porsche

I may be the only one, but it just doesn't do it for me...245k or 445k...blah

Old 07-04-2017, 12:58 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

f type looks much better, hands down. when did a wing ever not look like it belonged on a 16 year olds race car?

Old 07-04-2017, 03:59 AM
Veteran Member

I love it. Just not as much as an F-Type.

Drove to the beach last weekend and kids were actually running in the street behind me trying to catch up.

The sound, the drama, the looks. A 911 - even one as glorious as that one might as well be invisible.

The F-Type says Hi I'm being driven by a fun guy who likes a loud, old school V8 - listen to me crackle.

The 911 says Hi I'm being driven by someone with a crap load of money. I am more wealthy than you, deal with it.

Last edited by Burt Gummer; 07-04-2017 at 04:02 AM.