F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-type V6S cab vs 911 cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:05 PM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Default F-type V6S cab vs 911 cab

Tiff Needell from fifth gear/evotv puts both cars through their paces.

The following 3 users liked this post by GhostriderXKR08:
amcdonal86 (04-18-2013), axr6 (04-18-2013), r0m8470 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 325 Likes on 201 Posts

Hmmm

Old 04-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 482 Likes on 403 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

So on Tiff Nedell's hand, it's 4 seconds slower ..... but it still looks like a mean drift machine!

The following users liked this post:
amcdonal86 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Tiff fails to mention that he has driven the 911 a gazillion times compared to his first go round with the F-Type!

Old 04-18-2013, 11:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 594 Likes on 422 Posts

That is what I was afraid of. All that excess weight holds the F-type way back. 3.3 sec/lap is an eternity of difference against a car with 35 HP less. The old outgoing Vettes destroyed the Porsche on the tracks so, I imagine the new 2014 model will run away from both the F-type and the Porsche easily.

The V8 F-type will no doubt be faster but, not sure that it will be 3+ seconds faster per lap. Still not likely to match the new Corvette's track performance. If Jag wants to be serious about making a true sport car, they need to put the F-type on a serious weight reduction diet. On the other hand, maybe it will be commercially successful as sweet car to drive and to be seen in.

The Porsche 911 cabriolet is really not considered to be a fast track car so, it is kind of embarrassing to loose to it by that much. As for me, I would never buy a sports car that loses to a low-end 911, period.

Albert

amcdonal86 (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 261 Likes on 183 Posts

That is disappointing...made more so by the big time difference. But we don't know if he was driving the F Type to its fullest advantage.

I still can't get over the look of the front end. I will see it in the flesh next Tuesday night and will see if strikes me any differently.

I'm sure this car will eventually evolve in its looks like the other Jag models have...if it survives the market.

Does anyone know if Jag has many orders for the car yet?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:46 AM
Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts

Ouch. I guess one could argue that with more time behind the wheel things might be a little closer, but Tiff Needell has been racing / driving cars for a living since well before I was born so I kind of doubt that. 3 seconds on a mid 1:20s lap isn't even in the same class.

I wonder what it is that makes it so heavy?

Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

I know my dealer said they were sold out thru their May deliveries--and this was a couple months ago that I talked to them.

I'm not surprised at this at all. As axr6, the weight is going to kill this car as a serious drivers car and track machine. However, there are many other factors to consider when buying a car!

Old 04-19-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TheMCP
Ouch. I guess one could argue that with more time behind the wheel things might be a little closer, but Tiff Needell has been racing / driving cars for a living since well before I was born so I kind of doubt that. 3 seconds on a mid 1:20s lap isn't even in the same class.

I wonder what it is that makes it so heavy?
Maybe the question should be what makes the 911 so light?

Old 04-19-2013, 08:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would have liked to have seen a comparison with the V8S. Also, lets keep in mind that this is a 1st gen car and in every review I have read, while it may not beat a 911 on the track, many reviewers have said that it is hard to choose between them which they like more due to the differences in the cars. Give Jag some time to continue to refine and tweak it and they may soon pass the icon.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
Maybe the question should be what makes the 911 so light?
Just paying attention to details. The 911 is not alone by being near 3000 lbs. The Vette, with a V8 engine is also in that same low weight range.

The F-type, if I remember correctly, already using aluminum chassis construction. But, the "details"... how heavy are the seats, the suspension pieces, the bodywork etc. Lotus had shown that a sub 2000 lbs sports cars are doable. So, no real excuse to build them @3500 lbs+, particularly in an expensive car, like the Jag, where using carbon fiber body panels and parts should be standard. Heck, the Vette, old and new, sells for less and uses ever increasing number of carbon fiber parts (hood, fenders, roof, dash etc). As far as I'm concerned, if you ask 100K+ for a car, it should have carbon chassis. Aluminum is not a big deal anymore, quite a few regularly priced cars have come out with that.

Albert

Old 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by axr6
The F-type, if I remember correctly, already using aluminum chassis construction. But, the "details"... how heavy are the seats, the suspension pieces, the bodywork etc. Lotus had shown that a sub 2000 lbs sports cars are doable. So, no real excuse to build them @3500 lbs+, particularly in an expensive car, like the Jag, where using carbon fiber body panels and parts should be standard. Heck, the Vette, old and new, sells for less and uses ever increasing number of carbon fiber parts (hood, fenders, roof, dash etc). As far as I'm concerned, if you ask 100K+ for a car, it should have carbon chassis. Aluminum is not a big deal anymore, quite a few regularly priced cars have come out with that.

Albert
You're right. What's disappointing - IMO - is how Jags kept on harping about advance aluminum construction etc ... but it is still relatively portly. If they're heralding this as a return to the Jag sporting era, getting spanked by the car on their own target market bullseye does not back up their claim.

I also saw the car in person, sat on it etc. Everything seems goods, feels good, sounds great, feel like a solid car all around. It definitely gave - borrowing James May terminology - the fizz, but man .... that far behind beyond a squashed Beetle ......

You're correct again on carbon fiber panel .... the chin spoiler and the rear diffuser on this car were not carbon fiber. At least on that factory car on the dealer floor they were not .....

Old 04-19-2013, 10:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys....99.9% of the reviews on this car have been amazing. I guess if I wanted to race a 911 on the track, I would be disappointed but since I won't be, I will enjoy the rarity, beauty, amazing sound and pure fun that this car will bring me come this July...the Porsche is an amazing car, they have been refining it for years...I think we should be cutting the F Type some slack when you consider it is a brand new model. If you consider the price difference compared to a loaded 911 cab, I think Jag did themselves proud and I look forward to the direction they will take this car throughout the years....by the way, my dealer said that they are sold out through the summer and the waiting list is growing.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

The real comparison will be the Coupe versions. Though I suspect the 911 will beat as well. But let's remember a Jag is still a Jag. People don't buy Vantage over 911 for any performance metric. The do it for aesthetics PLUS great performance and sound. The track is almost NEVER a criteria in this selection.

Nor do I think it will ever be in selecting the F type. People will buy it because they don't want to look like a horizontal teardrop, prefer a more traditional cab rearward shape, bespoke interior and they don't want to see themselves coming and going. They will also want high performance but it will not need to best 911 in performance.

Executive (04-19-2013)
Old 04-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Evoking
The real comparison will be the Coupe versions. Though I suspect the 911 will beat as well. But let's remember a Jag is still a Jag. People don't buy Vantage over 911 for any performance metric. The do it for aesthetics PLUS great performance and sound. The track is almost NEVER a criteria in this selection.

Nor do I think it will ever be in selecting the F type. People will buy it because they don't want to look like a horizontal teardrop, prefer a more traditional cab rearward shape, bespoke interior and they don't want to see themselves coming and going. They will also want high performance but it will not need to best 911 in performance.
The Vantage or the XKR are GT cars. I would purchase them with that in mind. I would expect them to be heavier, full of GT style luxury. On the other hand, the F-type appears to be aimed at the sports car market. There, we have some "bragging rights" to deal with. Personally, I want my 100K car to be generally superior in performance to less expensive sports cars and use more exotic constructions that would provide such advantage.

The Porsche is, indeed, an old car, constantly refined over decades. Still, it is not even close to being among the fastest track cars, due to its less than ideal engine distribution. Not many drivers are able to toss a 911 around as shown in the above video and live to tell about it.

Many mundane cars, top Mustangs and Covettes will beat the 911 when it comes to lapping race tracks. Which means that there will be a whole slew of Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes that will outrun the F-type. While that may not be important for most prospective buyers, it will be enough for me to stay away. If I want to buy a high performance car and seriously burn up some pavement, maybe I'll get the new Vette. When I want luxury and exclusivity I take either my XJL or XF out of the garage. But, that's just me.

Albert

Old 04-19-2013, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by r0m8470
You're right. What's disappointing - IMO - is how Jags kept on harping about advance aluminum construction etc ... but it is still relatively portly. If they're heralding this as a return to the Jag sporting era, getting spanked by the car on their own target market bullseye does not back up their claim.

I also saw the car in person, sat on it etc. Everything seems goods, feels good, sounds great, feel like a solid car all around. It definitely gave - borrowing James May terminology - the fizz, but man .... that far behind beyond a squashed Beetle ......

You're correct again on carbon fiber panel .... the chin spoiler and the rear diffuser on this car were not carbon fiber. At least on that factory car on the dealer floor they were not .....
I think the "advance aluminum construction" argument worked well for the XKR. It was quite light compared to the SL500, BMW M6, etc. I, too, am perplexed as to why the F-Type is not close to 3,000 lbs, if not less.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,197 Likes on 931 Posts

Has a factory Jaguar driver post track times for Nordschleife? They'll have to do something about the weight. Lightweight is Jaguar's modern moniker.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:35 PM

I am a fan of Jags, and as passionate about Jaguar as other members here. I wasa hoping for this new car to take the 911 to the woodshed. If the 911 is the bullseye, go out and eviscerate it - not get beat by it.

It is a good car? I think it is. Is it excellent? The reviews said so, and the car does look amazing in person. Sounds wicked too .... But still, come on Jaggy, put this car through a diet and beat that squashed bug!

Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 331 Likes on 235 Posts

Those of you wondering about the F type's weight, it's 4.5" wider, equipped with automatic trasnmission vs manual in the 911 and full of features.

Jaguar actually priced the F type just right, considering you don't get much with the 911.

Most Land Rover owners do not take their vehicles offroading, therefore, those 3 seconds on a track mean nothing.

Jaguar, job well done!

Quick Reply: F-type V6S cab vs 911 cab