F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future of Jaguar....

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 10:32 PM
Received 199 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by uclabrruin1989
I think there were two big mistakes in the last 10 years. While seemingly everyone else was participating in horsepower wars, Jaguar kept cramming smaller and weaker engines in their cars including the insanity of a 4 cylinder engine in the F Type. Then the exterior design language (post Ian Callum mostly) became muddled. The XF, XE and even to a lesser extent the F Type turned into amorphous blobs. They are poorly positioned to go upmarket and compete against the Astons and Bentleys of the world. Here's what they need, in descending order of importance;
1. A great F Pace sized SUV that is BETTER than competitors from Audi, MB and BMW. It can't just look better, but the base versions have to DRIVE better and be beautiful, otherwise people will just buy german because that's what people do, all other things being equal.
2. an E Pace sized EV CUV that does the same
3. one EV sedan, either XF or XE sized that isn't some marshmallow, ridiculously twice as expensive as a camry or accord with less performance or reliability, and
4. one performance F Type offspring, that's beautiful, fast and can be the halo car.

I don't see any reason for a big EV XJ, how many of those can they sell? what's the point? fewer cars, each done better, that's the way they survive.

Minor edits:

3. Perhaps get known for superb, extreme estate and shooting brake cars rather than a sedan. Be "that" company. Like the FF but affordable...and Jaguar language. Yes, I saw Harold and Maude in the day....
4. Bring the rumors Ferrari killing F-type successor (pictures were floating around and it was awesom)...ICE or perhaps a reliable inline hybrid...get the more from Lucid for sure and if possible use it to boost the whole thing....

Focus on losing weight where possible. Simpler, carbon helped seats, etc.

Keep knobs...the haptic only cars are going to age very poorly.

Add some actual gauges people like to see, real or digital: oil temp, tranny temp, voltage, oil pressure.

Give us dry sumps.

Old 04-13-2022, 04:46 PM
Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
Old 04-13-2022, 05:21 PM
Received 135 Likes on 109 Posts

Yeah, I have a Jaguar dealer salesperson keeping a lookout for a CPO F-Type I'm looking for. Just yesterday he texted, "Don't know if you're interested, but can I interest you in an iPace?"

No thank you.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:17 PM
Received 109 Likes on 63 Posts

Enjoy what we have. Nobody from corporate asked our opinion. Take comfort in knowing we never had a choice.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:30 PM
Received 170 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
Enjoy what we have. Nobody from corporate asked our opinion. Take comfort in knowing we never had a choice.
I disagree. I am sure there are those at Jaguar who monitor these discussions. Wouldn't you? After all, this is the cheapest marketing research you could possibly obtain [free] from THE faithful who buy and love these cars to death!

This is a marketing department's dream come true!!

Old 04-13-2022, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Come the end of the day, the time of great sounding petrol engines is rapidly coming to an end, with supercar stats coming from heavy, average to poor handling electric cars (Taycan excluded). Taking away decent noise, handling, and the presence of gears (whether manual or paddles) I think leaves tech, looks, range, and acceleration as being the the big ticket items. For my part, I dont buy cars for tech or 0 - 100kph times (though I probably wouldnt buy something necessarily slower than around 6 seconds from 0 - 100kph). So really for my part whether or not it is the end of Jaguar, I couldnt see myself getting so emotionally turned on by 0/10 sounding and 5/10 handling car to pay big money for it, even if it had 10/10 looks, so I cant see myself buying any premium electric, I'd probably go for something more mass market and my car passion days would be behind me.

But hopefully I am in the minority, the past 14 years or so of Jag ownership have given me a lot of joy and I plan to keep our current cars until they become troublesome, so I have only the best of wishes for the success of the brand.

The following users liked this post:
scm (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 03:05 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,385 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by davidmaria1
Nobody from corporate asked our opinion.
Corporate is more influenced by legislation from politicians intent on sucking the joy from our lives.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

No. 1 reason to buy an F type...drop dead looks. Followed by V8 power and sound. Third: GT that can change personality. If Jaguar could up the engineering quality in various areas they could compete better with Porsche enthusiasts but it will cost money and not sure they can break into that segment.
I took my car to a performance shop that works on Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, BMW, Aston, etc. Was told I should "upgrade" my car. What is an upgrade to an F Type? if you want to spend considerably more money but want the same design style, it's Aston or Ferrari in my mind. Both out of the same price point and higher long term cost.
If I had the money to burn, I would likely have one or two of those brands before a Porsche. The brand doesn't fit what I am looking for although I do appreciate what they do. For JLR to make more money they have to sell more cars to the mass market. BMW led the way by filling every niche. I don't think you can do that without ease of having your car serviced in reasonably close location. There is a BMW dealer in even relatively small cities. I am no expert in the car business, but wondering how JLR has thought to develop their dealership network. BMW at one time was thinking to eliminate dealerships stocking cars on their lots and just be showrooms and use central distribution. Maybe with COVID that's what we've ended up with as no one brand has any surplus cars.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:12 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jaguny
For JLR to make more money they have to sell more cars to the mass market. BMW led the way by filling every niche.
Yeah, the only Jaguar taxis you'll find are running round the Nurburgring!

Old 04-14-2022, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by scm
Corporate is more influenced by legislation from politicians intent on sucking the joy from our lives.
Can you imagine the complexity of designing and manufacturing ANY car yet one as incredible as our F-types? Don't get me wrong because I would just assume see all corporate charters revoked, but you have to give JLR their due. They hit a home run with the F-type and deserve whatever praise can be given.

Anybody who runs any kind of business today knows how incredibly difficult it has become to do such [due to regulation, cartel/monopoly control, and all the corruption that defines modern life].

Uncle Fishbits (04-21-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 11:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately I just don't see Jaguar sticking around at this point. I'm not sure if their parent company has the capital they need to make the necessary changes (I guess now that would be their petrol F-Type, maybe a hybrid (performance oriented) F-Type/halo car, and reliable HIGH QUALITY electric cars. That is what the market would buy, and they don't provide it.

JLR is known for, and for good reason, having awful build quality. My F-Type is fun but the build quality is atrocious.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:20 PM
Received 94 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by dwilk
Unfortunately I just don't see Jaguar sticking around at this point. I'm not sure if their parent company has the capital they need to make the necessary changes (I guess now that would be their petrol F-Type, maybe a hybrid (performance oriented) F-Type/halo car, and reliable HIGH QUALITY electric cars. That is what the market would buy, and they don't provide it.

JLR is known for, and for good reason, having awful build quality. My F-Type is fun but the build quality is atrocious.
What year F-Type do you own? I have a '22 R and I think the build quality has been impeccable. Body panel fitment, interior--everything is spot on.

Old 04-14-2022, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by KalamazooJag
What year F-Type do you own? I have a '22 R and I think the build quality has been impeccable. Body panel fitment, interior--everything is spot on.
2018. Everything was mostly okay at first but has gotten worse as time goes on. At 19k miles I have dealt with:
  • Speakers causing the doors to rattle
  • Loud wind noise due to adhesive worn out (same issue as this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-speed-164735/)
  • Chrome window trim is coming loose, it appears the same adhesive was used.
  • Interior center console trim by driver knee keeps coming out/popping loose
  • Driver door grab handle has developed a squeak when you grab it
  • The retractable center A/C vents don't appear to be even anymore, not sure how that could have even happened.
  • Rear parcel shelf (between the hatch cover and driver seat) appears to either be broken or extremely loose, causing bad rattles over bumps
  • Rattle coming from dashboard over bumps, especially the passenger side
I've never driven a "rattle free" car, and that's not what I expect, but the way its gotten worse and worse over a short period of time (and the reluctance of the dealerships to help) has pretty much confirmed this will be my first and only Jaguar, which is a shame.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:34 PM
scm
Veteran Member

Wow, my MY18 doesn't exhibit any of the issues you've cited. Are you generally an unlucky person (I don't consider myself to be particularly lucky)?

Regarding your centre A/C vents - do you have them set to Auto? If so, they won't (IME) rise when the temperature drops - in fact I use their rising to indicate the coming of spring! You can set them to always rise - that'd give you a definitive answer to whether they're working properly.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by scm
Wow, my MY18 doesn't exhibit any of the issues you've cited. Are you generally an unlucky person (I don't consider myself to be particularly lucky)?

Regarding your centre A/C vents - do you have them set to Auto? If so, they won't (IME) rise when the temperature drops - in fact I use their rising to indicate the coming of spring! You can set them to always rise - that'd give you a definitive answer to whether they're working properly.
I guess I am usually unlucky with cars lol. My last car got totaled by a drunk driver, the car before that got stolen...

The vents do rise up, but when they are down it looks like the driver side of the vents is slightly higher than the passenger side, as if it isn't closing all the way. It's a small detail, and I bet 90% of people wouldn't even notice, but with the price of the car I am definitely more aware of any defects.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:50 PM
Received 135 Likes on 109 Posts

Here's a thought experiment:
You buy a $50K F-Type, then a year later it's announced that Jag is going under and no one's buying them. What happens to the value of your car. On the one hand, it could go up because people are going to think that they need to grab one while they still can. On the other hand, people will think it makes them impossible to get repaired, so the resale drops overnight by 35%. Thoughts?

I suspect some large automaker would probably buy them out, which would likely not affect the F-Types value, but who knows.

Old 04-14-2022, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by kb58
You buy a $50K F-Type, then a year later it's announced that Jag is going under and no one's buying them. What happens to the value of your car. On the one hand, it could go up because people are going to think that they need to grab one while they still can. On the other hand, people will think it makes them impossible to get repaired, so the resale drops overnight by 35%. Thoughts?

I suspect some large automaker would probably buy them out, which would likely not affect the F-Types value, but who knows.
That's what makes life interesting. Imagine the hell it would be if you always knew what was going to happen!

Old 04-14-2022, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by dwilk
2018. Everything was mostly okay at first but has gotten worse as time goes on. At 19k miles I have dealt with:
  • Speakers causing the doors to rattle
  • Loud wind noise due to adhesive worn out (same issue as this https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/f...-speed-164735/)
  • Chrome window trim is coming loose, it appears the same adhesive was used.
  • Interior center console trim by driver knee keeps coming out/popping loose
  • Driver door grab handle has developed a squeak when you grab it
  • The retractable center A/C vents don't appear to be even anymore, not sure how that could have even happened.
  • Rear parcel shelf (between the hatch cover and driver seat) appears to either be broken or extremely loose, causing bad rattles over bumps
  • Rattle coming from dashboard over bumps, especially the passenger side
I've never driven a "rattle free" car, and that's not what I expect, but the way its gotten worse and worse over a short period of time (and the reluctance of the dealerships to help) has pretty much confirmed this will be my first and only Jaguar, which is a shame.
My MY18 has been issue-free as well. Hopefully, you've run into all the problems there are and the rest of your experience will be trouble-free.

Old 04-14-2022, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 312 Likes on 225 Posts

You only paid $50K!!

KalamazooJag (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 03:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by kb58

I wouldnt be worried unless LR was also going under. But if it is high end EV only from 2025, I wouldnt expect brilliant treatment in the service centre.

Quick Reply: Future of Jaguar....