F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gray smoke, machine gun exhaust, burning smell on second day of ownership

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 05:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gray smoke, machine gun exhaust, burning smell on second day of ownership

I bought a 2015 F-Type base convertible on Thursday and drove it 550 miles home. The next day I was cruising on the highway and opened it up a bit, and suddenly started smelling a burning smell. In dynamic mode, the exhaust was making a machine gun sound (RAT-A-TAT-A-TAT) constantly, and out of dynamic the engine felt horribly sluggish like it could barely cope with moving. I saw gray smoke coming from the exhaust and pulled over to call roadside assistance.

It’s a CPO so chances are warranty will cover this (I’ve only owned it one day!!!) but I’m anxious as can be and feeling sick about my purchase now. While I wait to hear from the service department, any thoughts on what it could be??

Old 06-09-2018, 08:08 AM

Also the check engine light never came on, engine temp sensor showed right in the middle. But the sluggish feeling from the engine was definitely scary.

Sadly I won’t know anything until Monday.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by Vbgeek
Also the check engine light never came on, engine temp sensor showed right in the middle. But the sluggish feeling from the engine was definitely scary.

Sadly I won’t know anything until Monday.
Could be just about anything with the engine. Needs a good looking at. Perhaps an open injector., But that should have thrown a code.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Isn't this normal behavior? Supposed to make machine gun sounds in dynamic when the valves are open... and it would of course be more sluggish in normal mode...

Old 06-09-2018, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by alphakinase
Isn't this normal behavior? Supposed to make machine gun sounds in dynamic when the valves are open... and it would of course be more sluggish in normal mode...
Sluggish should not be an adjective for any of the F types in any mode. Gray smoke should not be in the mix either.

Old 06-09-2018, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by alphakinase
I’m likely not explaining it well. The machine gun sound was constant, so more like a jackhammer, with any type of acceleration. Not the normal BRRRRAP and burps it does. When dynamic was off the sluggishness was like it was struggling to hit the next gear.

I’ve seen a few videos with comparable sounds from a busted exhaust manifold and from a busted head gasket. Whatever it is I’m glad I have CPO and hope there’s no “we can’t fix it” clause or condition out there.

Old 06-09-2018, 03:01 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

This is why I like warranties. You can relax, drop it off on Monday, and use a loaner vehicle until it's sorted.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:51 AM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default I had one day with mine also

My '15 R coupe puked its transmission on my first day of ownership. Thankfully JLR is providing a new box under warranty.

My dealer explained that each car has a "punch code" that refers to when the original buyer took delivery, so even though my car is a 2015, the warranty expires this month.

I feel for ya, man...

Old 06-11-2018, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzdave
My '15 R coupe puked its transmission on my first day of ownership. Thankfully JLR is providing a new box under warranty.

My dealer explained that each car has a "punch code" that refers to when the original buyer took delivery, so even though my car is a 2015, the warranty expires this month.

I feel for ya, man...
Ouch...thank goodness you were covered. My warranty expires in January (or 50k miles, which I'm close to), but then CPO kicks in until January 2021. Either way, glad I'm covered but still anxious as all hell and just want to know what's wrong with my ride!

When do you get yours back?

Old 06-11-2018, 12:10 PM
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Ouch...thank goodness you were covered. My warranty expires in January (or 50k miles, which I'm close to), but then CPO kicks in until January 2021. Either way, glad I'm covered but still anxious as all hell and just want to know what's wrong with my ride!

When do you get yours back?
I figured my summer was shot, but dealer says new trans was at customs last week, and I should expect to have it back with two weeks

Did you run it very low on fuel in that 500 miler?

Old 06-11-2018, 01:02 PM

I figured my summer was shot, but dealer says new trans was at customs last week, and I should expect to have it back with two weeks

Did you run it very low on fuel in that 500 miler?
No, not at all. Got to a quarter tank at one point, tanked it up to full. I was at half a tank Friday evening when the problem started happening, gunning it up a hill. Temp gauge looked good, no idea what set it off but it sure was set off.

One thing that concerns me, I also noticed a really rough idle when I finally pulled to the side. Between the exhaust noise, sluggish response, smoke, and rough idle it really sounds like it could be a serious engine problem. Hopefully no need for a massive engine rebuild or something crazy like that.

Old 06-11-2018, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

...My dealer explained that each car has a "punch code" that refers to when the original buyer took delivery....
This "punch code" is when the dealer officially removed it from inventory. Sometimes dealerships do this to help them meet sales targets when they are short a sale or two. Technically, this means that the car is being placed into service even though they have not yet sold it to an individual yet. It is always important to know if the "new" car you are buying is truly "new" or if it's service record has already been "punched".

Old 06-11-2018, 04:15 PM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

Did you get a service appointment yet? If you have a code reader it wouldn't hurt to read them. Just don't clear them. The light doesn't have to be on for there to be codes.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:53 PM

I just got a call from the Service department, they said the car needs a new fuel injector set which is on order and should be in in about 2-3 days. Hopefully that's the only issue!

The following users liked this post:
SinF (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member

I just got a call from the Service department, they said the car needs a new fuel injector set which is on order and should be in in about 2-3 days.
That’s what I was guessing, but I’m surprised it didn’t trigger the CEL.Who’s fuel have you been using?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
That’s what I was guessing, but I’m surprised it didn’t trigger the CEL.Who’s fuel have you been using?
Tanked up twice on the road home from Atlanta. Not many options in rural areas. I believe one was BP, don’t remember the other. Both premium (93 octane). Is there a preference?

Also I pulled over within about 1 minute of the noise happening. Perhaps I turned the car off before it could even register?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Veteran Member

Tanked up twice on the road home from Atlanta. Not many options in rural areas. I believe one was BP, don’t remember the other. Both premium (93 octane). Is there a preference?

Also I pulled over within about 1 minute of the noise happening. Perhaps I turned the car off before it could even register?
Any top-tier Fuel will do. Have you been shutting down the engine right after a hard run without letting it cool down first?

Old 06-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Any top-tier Fuel will do. Have you been shutting down the engine right after a hard run without letting it cool down first?
Hmmm... honestly not sure on this one. I only had it for a day. Maybe I ran it hard and stopped it once. Not sure.

Old 06-12-2018, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member

Hmmm... honestly not sure on this one. I only had it for a day. Maybe I ran it hard and stopped it once. Not sure.
No, one day of doing this isn’t going to create an issue. Perhaps the previous owner had some bad habits.

Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 PM

No, one day of doing this isn’t going to create an issue. Perhaps the previous owner had some bad habits.
I’ve told a couple mechanic relatives about the fuel injectors getting fixed and both of them are saying they don’t understand how that would cause the repetitive exhaust popping I heard. Hopefully it’s a function of the injectors and exhaust design or something and not a separate issue!

Quick Reply: Gray smoke, machine gun exhaust, burning smell on second day of ownership