F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Group Buy: VS Forged Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 08:45 PM
Received 156 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
@ Tork Monster, I have to say both your and Lance's cars look great. Is yours lowered on springs? I already bought the 20 inch 265/305 MP4S, so no going back now. Just need to decide on the color.
Jaguny,
Thank you for the comments! Yes; installed AP-Velocity progressive rate springs. The shop damaged a strut during installation (I believe they pinched a sensor line), and the car has defaulted into a "hard" setting, so my assessment on the ride with the springs & 21" wheels will have to wait until the strut is installed. But it seems great so far, and the car sits exactly the way I wanted.
I used the wheel specs FR500GT posted on his build: 21 x 9", +32mm offset (front), 21 x 10.5, +25mm offset (rear). Michelin 265/35-21 front, 305/25-21 rear tires
As you may be able to see by the pics, these fit flush with the fenders... so much so I was concerned they could rub, but nothing so far.
Jay

The following 2 users liked this post by Tork Monster:
dwmilton (05-31-2020), jaguny (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

@Lance; +1 on request for final spec. Also, are you finding any issues with your tire/wheel setup given that your car is lowered?
Thanks to you both for seeing this through (and others who contributed their VS Forged photos, etc.).
Given the fact that there is plenty of clearance with the 6mm spacers, a 43 offset vs my 49 would be plenty. Looking at it closely, I believe a 45 offset would leave a safe margin. With the 305/265 tires and the H&R drop, I have no fender rub issues.
This car is now really starting to feel much more light footed and nimble through the turns. My unsprung weight is 80 lbs less than that of the OEM.

The following 3 users liked this post by Unhingd:
Arne (01-09-2019), dwmilton (06-05-2020), jaguny (01-09-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

I found that as well after putting on the Vorsteiners with Michelins, it was a huge difference with direction changes like coming out of a big roundabout at speed. I had my car in at Jag a few days ago and when it was returned to me it was commented that the ride on 21's is amazingly and surprisingly good even on rough patches of road, personally I think it is as good as it was with the OEM wheels and 19's.

The following users liked this post:
Queen and Country (03-05-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I found that as well after putting on the Vorsteiners with Michelins, it was a huge difference with direction changes like coming out of a big roundabout at speed. I had my car in at Jag a few days ago and when it was returned to me it was commented that the ride on 21's is amazingly and surprisingly good even on rough patches of road, personally I think it is as good as it was with the OEM wheels and 19's.
The ride is indeed smoother without being floaty.

Old 01-09-2019, 03:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd

The ride is indeed smoother without being floaty.
You memtioned Brutal provided realignment specs. Can you post those please?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:31 AM
Veteran Member

You memtioned Brutal provided realignment specs. Can you post those please?
Vince, the specs I honed in on are car specific to the H&R setup. The real pearl of wisdom that Brutal provided related to toe. Wear on my last set of tires affected the setting I specified with my alignment shop. Give me a call and I can talk you through it.

jaguny (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 528 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Tork Monster
Jaguny,
Thank you for the comments! Yes; installed AP-Velocity progressive rate springs. The shop damaged a strut during installation (I believe they pinched a sensor line), and the car has defaulted into a "hard" setting, so my assessment on the ride with the springs & 21" wheels will have to wait until the strut is installed. But it seems great so far, and the car sits exactly the way I wanted.
I used the wheel specs FR500GT posted on his build: 21 x 9", +32mm offset (front), 21 x 10.5, +25mm offset (rear). Michelin 265/35-21 front, 305/25-21 rear tires
As you may be able to see by the pics, these fit flush with the fenders... so much so I was concerned they could rub, but nothing so far.
Jay
Alright, I'm a huge fan of the black pack. I'm in mid switching the last bitf od chrome on my car to black, but damn, those wheels and the chrome trim all work together to really pop. I like it.

The following 2 users liked this post by eeeeek:
dwmilton (05-31-2020), Tork Monster (01-09-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by eeeeek
...damn, those wheels and the chrome trim all work together to really pop. I like it.
Thanks Vic!
I am very pleased with the look, and especially so with the fitment. Look at the photo below and how perfectly the tires fit within the wheelwells...

The following 3 users liked this post by Tork Monster:
CB1973 (12-05-2021), dwmilton (05-25-2020), Queen and Country (03-05-2019)
Old 01-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Banned
Received 424 Likes on 291 Posts

Thanks Vic!
I am very pleased with the look, and especially so with the fitment. Look at the photo below and how perfectly the tires fit within the wheelwells...

Beautiful car. I love the bright work and how it contrasts against the dark color.

Tork Monster (01-09-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 12:54 PM
Default Center Caps

Although I do like the VS-Forged center caps, I wanted the red growler cap to match the red calipers. I always prefer aftermarket wheels to have the proper make center caps anyway... looks more legit.
While I started to cut the backs off of the OEM caps from my original wheels so I could adhere them to the VS caps, I decided against it after looking at the cross-section of the OEM cap. Too concave on the back, and too thick. Also, I do not have a belt sander so I would have to use my grinders to cut them down flat (dangerous and not very accurate).

I bought these adhesive caps on Amazon. They are not the proper Growler logo, but close. They are cheap, but they were cheap
Worst case I remove them and clean up the adhesive with denatured alcohol.

Amazon link:
Amazon Amazon

The following 2 users liked this post by Tork Monster:
BruceTheQuail (01-24-2019), dwmilton (05-25-2020)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:37 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

This car is now really starting to feel much more light footed and nimble through the turns. My unsprung weight is 80 lbs less than that of the OEM.
Not to derail the thread too much, but wondering if those with forged wheels and either CCB or the Vortec rotors feel their car handles/drives better with reduced weight. I'm hoping we can put the BS about needing new springs and shocks after reducing unsprung weight by approx 25 lbs per corner. I've done it with my car and have only experienced positive effects of lower unsprung weight - lighter feel to the car, greater responsiveness, smoother ride.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Chawumba
Not to derail the thread too much, but wondering if those with forged wheels and either CCB or the Vortec rotors feel their car handles/drives better with reduced weight. I'm hoping we can put the BS about needing new springs and shocks after reducing unsprung weight by approx 25 lbs per corner. I've done it with my car and have only experienced positive effects of lower unsprung weight - lighter feel to the car, greater responsiveness, smoother ride.
Have also done both (VS03/Wortec). All positive from this end. Reduced 23 pounds on each of the front corners and 17 lbs of each of the rear corners (80 lbs total). Car feels lighter, more nimble, and more throttle responsive than before. Encountering bumps at high speed feels much smoother and far less road hop occurs through bumpy curves. The suspension response is a stepwise improvement.

Last edited by Unhingd; 01-25-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:51 AM
Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm looking forward to receiving and installing my VS Forged wheels. I'll take a call to upgrade to the Wortec brakes based on my impressions of the weight saving benefits from the wheels.

I drive 160 km (100 miles) of highway driving every day and it's been suggested that 2 piece rotors are unsuitable for this due to the higher heat they generate.

Old 01-26-2019, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,268 Likes on 874 Posts

The wheels alone make a big difference. When they were first on I actually thought the car was more prone to back end slip on direction change but that might have been grip issues from new tyres - after a week or two either I got used to them or they got grippier with the surface scuffed, but the handling is much better than with stock and the whole car feels lighter. I'm sure it isnt imaginitis.

Old 01-26-2019, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ss23
I'm looking forward to receiving and installing my VS Forged wheels. I'll take a call to upgrade to the Wortec brakes based on my impressions of the weight saving benefits from the wheels.

I drive 160 km (100 miles) of highway driving every day and it's been suggested that 2 piece rotors are unsuitable for this due to the higher heat they generate.
If properly designed, 2 piece rotors should actually run cooler as they are usually far better ventilated than single piece rotors.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:28 PM
Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Have also done both (VS03/Wortec). All positive from this end. Reduced 23 pounds on each of the front corners and 17 lbs of each of the rear corners (80 lbs total). Car feels lighter, more nimble, and more throttle responsive than before. Encountering bumps at high speed feels much smoother and far less road hop occurs through bumpy curves. The suspension response is a stepwise improvement.
I too dont want to derail this thread, but I am in the same boat as a lot of you. Even though I don't own an FType, I have done quite a bit of work to my XFR-S, which can be seen in my signature. Of which I replaced my rotors to Wortecs 2 piece, last summer, and I am on the cusp of receiving my Forged Wheels in the next couple of days. I contacted PK in hopes of getting a similar deal on the VS Forged (as per this group buy thread), but was pointed in the direction of BC Forged, which cost more, but I absolutely love the options available. I included a photo here in my thread, late last week (scroll down to post #19): XFRS Forged Wheels

But very soon, I am going to be in a position similar to most, where I would have shed close to 20lbs per corner (probably more, will know once I receive the wheels and weigh them), and I have not lowered my car. Actually the only thing that has remained stock in my car is my suspension, and after getting some feedback in the FType forum that leads me to believe I have to re-calibrate my suspension due to the lighter un-sprung weight... I am feeling very wary of proceeding with the wheel install, but between the feedback on this thread, along with I know what my reaction will be once I see them... I personally wont be able to give feedback till sometime in April (as the car is and will remain in winter storage). I am looking for others to chime in with their feedback on lighter wheels and lighter brakes (specifically both).

Old 01-30-2019, 02:00 PM
Received 236 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by H.Jones

Very soon, I am going to be in a position similar to most, where I would have shed close to 20lbs per corner (probably more, will know once I receive the wheels and weigh them), and I have not lowered my car. Actually the only thing that has remained stock in my car is my suspension, and after getting some feedback in the FType forum that leads me to believe I have to re-calibrate my suspension due to the lighter un-sprung weight... I am feeling very wary of proceeding with the wheel install, but between the feedback on this thread, along with I know what my reaction will be once I see them... I personally wont be able to give feedback till sometime in April (as the car is and will remain in winter storage). I am looking for others to chime in with their feedback on lighter wheels and lighter brakes (specifically both).
We probably should get a new thread on this and get some real experts to weigh in, but so far Unhinged and I have gone with lighter rotors and wheels and had nothing but a positive experience. Additionally, it is not clear to me why the springs would be affected - the weight the springs are holding up (sprung weight) is unaffected, why would you alter the spring strength because unspring weight decreased? Now it may be that some fine tuning of the shocks may make a difference to those that wear Nomex on their way to work, but how many of you really find that the "adjustable" shock settings on most cars is really gonna get you around a track significantly faster? When I change shock settings on my cars that have adjustments, the ride gets harsher, but cornering seems unaffected. Additionally, on the tracks I run (Willow Springs big track/ Buttonwillow) it is not like there are washboard bumps leading into turns that would be testing shock dampening. Finally, part of the reason I don't think approx 20 lbs per corner really changes anything significant with respect to suspension tuning, is Jag itself sells the car with CCB and lighter forged wheels (at least on the SVR), and if I understood Stuart's comments that at least for the VAP spring, there is no difference between the R AWD and SVR springs.

Tork Monster (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Chawumba
We probably should get a new thread on this and get some real experts to weigh in, but so far Unhinged and I have gone with lighter rotors and wheels and had nothing but a positive experience. Additionally, it is not clear to me why the springs would be affected - the weight the springs are holding up (sprung weight) is unaffected, why would you alter the spring strength because unspring weight decreased? Now it may be that some fine tuning of the shocks may make a difference to those that wear Nomex on their way to work, but how many of you really find that the "adjustable" shock settings on most cars is really gonna get you around a track significantly faster? When I change shock settings on my cars that have adjustments, the ride gets harsher, but cornering seems unaffected. Additionally, on the tracks I run (Willow Springs big track/ Buttonwillow) it is not like there are washboard bumps leading into turns that would be testing shock dampening. Finally, part of the reason I don't think approx 20 lbs per corner really changes anything significant with respect to suspension tuning, is Jag itself sells the car with CCB and lighter forged wheels (at least on the SVR), and if I understood Stuart's comments that at least for the VAP spring, there is no difference between the R AWD and SVR springs.
Duplicates my views on this. I see no reason lighter unsprung weight would need different suspension settings.. although I do not track my Jag. Might be different when a 1/10 second around a track makes a difference, I would think other factors would affect it more.

Old 01-30-2019, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Duplicates my views on this. I see no reason lighter unsprung weight would need different suspension settings.. although I do not track my Jag. Might be different when a 1/10 second around a track makes a difference, I would think other factors would affect it more.
+1.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Update: I thought I'd post here on my wheel order. I had originally intended to participate in the group buy for VS forged, but due to other important distractions, I didn't place the order. I kept looking and ended up ordering a set of BC Forged, two piece wheels from PK Autodesign (same as original group buy dealer). The wheels are the HCA381s. Gloss gunmetal wheel, matt gunmetal lip, gloss black barrel, exposed black fasteners, with diamond cut face. I've posted a link below to an f type with this wheel. Difference is this has a gloss black rim and no diamond cut spoke face. Expected in 5 weeks. More design options with these, but also a bit more weight than the monoblock forged. I'll post some photos when I receive them. Hopefully the groundhog was right about the early demise of winter.

https://www.bcforged-na.com/project/...-r-20-hca381s/

Also, I picked up the MP4S in 265 front and 305 rear before winter storing car and will switch them over.

Last edited by jaguny; 02-13-2019 at 06:13 PM.
JgaXkr (02-15-2019)

Quick Reply: Group Buy: VS Forged Wheels