F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Colour Choice

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Colour Choice

I'm looking at ordering a 2018 F-type and am looking for some help with picking a colour.

At the moment I'm stuck between:
  • Ultra Blue
  • Loire Blue
  • Indus Silver
  • Santorini Black

Any pictures or thoughts would be helpful.

My initial choice was Ultra Blue but I'm just not sure whether it is a bit too light.

Old 08-05-2017, 11:35 AM
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

I am stuck on British Racing Green...for obvious reasons...lol.

I vote for Ultra Blue! And welcome to the forum!

The following users liked this post:
Shane O' Donovan (08-05-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

You are going to get lots of personal preferences given here - it's really about what you like and not what a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum like !

The following 3 users liked this post by ek993:
Mulmur (08-05-2017), Shane O' Donovan (08-05-2017), tzoid9 (06-03-2018)
Old 08-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

At the end of the day it's what you like best. But I suppose there are some theories. Dark on large cars, light on small cars. Some colors have historical significance. Some increase visibility. What the maker is showing in ads may indicate what is popular and what photographs well. Not something to agonize over. Go with your gut.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:42 PM

As an aside - does anyone have an interior picture of the Citrus half leather interior?

Old 08-05-2017, 01:05 PM
Received 351 Likes on 236 Posts

I have always had darker color cars. Most black or green. They look great when clean and properly waxed. However they are a pain to keep looking good. I now prefer lighter colors (firesand, light silvers/greys, light blues, white) - they are way easier to keep nice - life is too short to spend on washing and waxing a car.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

You'll be happiest with the color you first fixated on.

J444G (11-28-2020)
Old 08-05-2017, 03:07 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Go with the Ultra Blue....

Old 08-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

I like ultra blue, but the first f type I really liked was silver with black pack. It really shows off the curves in the Jags and is probably the easiest of the lot to keep clean. But I've never seen one I didnt like, no matter what the colour.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,057 Likes on 673 Posts

Some years ago I had a Lexus LS and during a visit to the dealership to get a key fob programmed, I was browsing the lot out front while they worked in back. As they do, the salesman approached me and said, "Can I answer any questions you may have about the new models?" I said "Yeah, do they come in any color other than silver?" He looked around dumbfounded as every last Lexus on the lot that day was silver. I used to like silver. My Toyota Supra is silver but it wasn't as popular back then as it is now. Today, I think silver is way too popular and that was the one color I was just NOT going to consider in an XF. XF had I think two or three different shades of blue but I finally ran across one in "Caviar" which is even more unique.

Black is great for a "toy" car, but I wouldn't want black for any kind of daily driver. A little bit of metallic in the black would help to camouflage dirt and minor wear and tear from daily driving, but still its gonna be harder to keep up. Black also is very popular of late, maybe too popular as well.

But I like many shades of blue. I've owned many blue cars from very light to very dark. Had a 68 Mustang in "Diamond Blue" that was more white than blue. Two blue Corvettes in the garage right now, 69 Lemans Blue and 72 Briar Blue. Can't go wrong with either of your blue choices. Loire Blue seems very luxurious like you'd want to be seen rolling up the country club. Ultra Blue reminds me of some race car color schemes.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Simple answer... Italian Racing Red (aka) IRR

Old 08-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaro
At the end of the day it's what you like best. [...] Not something to agonize over. Go with your gut.
I went with my gut because I ordered when the new colors were not yet to be seen in person. I had looked at various models in previous colours (colors, to us colonials) but wasn't willing to wait. I like to see how they look in real life, and in natural light because the web page just isn't good enough.

If, like me, you can't wait, flip a coin. I suppose in your case, it'd be a four-sided die. I had my choices narrowed down to two.

Still, you're asking for opinions.

Ultra Blue - not exactly understated, but it stands out in a good way
Loire Blue - hard to say from the web, but I'll bet that in sunlight it comes alive
Indus Silver - silver is the new beige. If you want to blend in, get a Camry
Santorini Black - looks darker even than the Storm Grey I have. I think the details get a bit lost in all that dark, and black is a pain to keep up. I wouldn't go darker than what I already have.

I'd really like to see that Loire Blue in person.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:33 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Default there's taste, and then there's...

“At the end of the day it’s what you like best,” writes Suaro. Usually true, but not always. Case in point: suppose you like best color X, and color Y almost as much. Then Y could be the way to go, given certain overriding factors unrelated to your taste in color.

1. Some colors, obviously, attract more attention, including the cops’ (IRR, firesand…). Of course, you might want to attract attention, and maybe you always respect the speed limit. So it depends.

2. Some colors—in general, lighter ones—show the car’s lines better than others. White better than black, certainly. And matte much better than metallic. (Too bad that’s not a factory option.)

3. The darker the color, the harder it is to keep clean, or at least looking clean. The slightest blemish shows up on black, while a silver car can be filthy and still look pretty good. On a day-to-day basis this is a crucial consideration. Something to keep in mind if you hate washing and waxing, or alternatively if there's nothing you'd rather be doing.

4. Resale value. Which F-Type would be easier to sell: firesand or ammonite silver?

Old 08-06-2017, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe Dave
Simple answer... Italian Racing Red (aka) IRR
good choice - both of our jags are IRR! but I dont think it is a colour in the '18 models ToT

Shane O' Donovan (08-06-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 04:55 AM

Yup IRR is gone - the only red is Caldera Red. Firesand is gone as well.

Old 08-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Old 08-06-2017, 05:04 AM

The ultra blue seems to be the most popular option in the UK at the moment, followed by loire blue.

I'm looking for something slightly understated which is turning me slightly off the ultra blue.

The problem is that in Ireland there are very few F Types on the road so I haven't actually seen any of these colours on the car in person.

My worry with the ultra blue is that it'll look like the XF blue which I think look tacky.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Does anyone have the citrus suede interior? Would be great if I could see I few pictures. I'm torn about going for leather.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:38 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Shane O' Donovan
The ultra blue seems to be the most popular option in the UK at the moment, followed by loire blue.

I'm looking for something slightly understated which is turning me slightly off the ultra blue.

The problem is that in Ireland there are very few F Types on the road so I haven't actually seen any of these colours on the car in person.

My worry with the ultra blue is that it'll look like the XF blue which I think look tacky.
See, I think that blue looks absolutely fantastic (then again I like loud colors / went with Firesand) and I think you should go for it!!

But then that's the problem with personal opinion and asking others to help you choose

Old 08-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Every time I see Ultra Blue I think of Volvo Polestars. But it seems to be the color of the year in the industry. Even if everyone for whatever has their own favorite, I would say the colors offered by most makers are too few and uninspired which is why the parking lot looks like a sea of grey cars.