F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO: Injector Removal Step-By-Step

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to doing this for the driver's side bank on my 2012 XF, and thought I'd post some post-repair observations for those who might be following these directions. I had received a 'restricted performance' intervention, and smelled a massive amount of gas upon returning to my garage. After reading the codes and looking through the forums, I determined the fuel injectors needed replacing.

First off, I have to say, the most seductive thing on the web these days isn't ****, it's DIY threads/videos like these that make things look easy. ;-)

Some things that ended up being different/more difficult than the original posting.
-The rubber heat shielding was beyond a pain to get out. I don't know how I eventually totally freed it, but that thing is put in there ridiculously tight. Don't feel there was any need/reason to have it so wedged in there, but unlodging the back bottom of it caused me to lose my religion.
-The fuel rail would not come off easily. I thought somehow it was still attached to something when I first tried, so I tried calling yourmechanic.com to have them give it a try. The guy came over, tried a few things, and gave up. After much internal debating, I finally just broke down and started using a big screwdriver to loosen it. Once I finally saw it start moving, I continued on slowly. It eventually released after much coercion.
-The first three injectors came out just fine with the Utool. The last one was buried just deep enough that the tool wouldn't quite fit around it correctly. After, once again, much coercion and cursing, it was finally removed. Not fun.
-After the problems removing the fuel rail, I thought reinsertion was going to be a similar bear. I tried doing a test run by trying to slide a single injector into its respective location, but it didn't seem to work. However, after putting all new injectors in, the rail slid on super easily. Never would've expected it after all the hell it gave me to remove it.

After placing everything back together, ran for a couple days and received an MIL. :-( Read out the code, came back to the forums, where someone indicated they found one of the sensors not fully attached. Sure enough, somehow I hadn't clipped in one of the cylinder sensors. Everything's been golden since. Including some pics of the removed injectors just for fun. Not sure which one failed, since they all looked like crud.

The following 3 users liked this post by austinjag:
DJS (10-11-2019), OzXFR (08-12-2020), XJ8JR (10-14-2019)
Old 08-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks for this. I have a cylinder 1 misfire and might as well replace the bank.

If I'm doing that, do I only need to buy the tools and the injector?

The following users liked this post:
OzXFR (08-12-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,143 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Thanks Silverstones!
For bringing this thread back from the dead.
I have run out of BG products and need some more (especially the 44K) but for the life of me I couldn't remember where I got them last time just over a year ago, and all the details I need are in my previous posts in this thread.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:17 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

This set is a bit pricy, but it is useful for many other tight applications, and the long , slender handle works very well for coil bolts.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...CABEgKHAPD_BwE

Mbourne (08-13-2020)
Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 PM

Also, is there a reason to get new injectors or use this service instead?

https://www.injectorrx.com

Old 08-13-2020, 06:22 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Hi

Great write up, Thanks for the info. I do have a question. Is there a way to avoid injector problems? If you use recommended fuel and fuel system cleaner like BK 44 on a regular basis can this be avoided
altogether?

The other question I have BK 44 is expensive and I plan on using it once a year is there another product close to that I can use more frequently to keep on top of fuel system cleaning?
I would like others to chime in on products they feel might be reputable...and really works.

Old 08-13-2020, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by 2004XJ8
is there another product close to that I can use more frequently to keep on top of fuel system cleaning?
I would like others to chime in on products they feel might be reputable...and really works.
Look for products with the most PEA. (No, I'm not telling you which veggies to eat...that's your Mom's job.)

Here's an article I found
https://utilitywallet.com/best-fuel-injector-cleaners/

Don't know if these products are available where @OzXFR hangs out...

The following 2 users liked this post by Carbuff2:
Noshame (08-13-2020), OzXFR (08-13-2020)
Old 08-13-2020, 06:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,143 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Look for products with the most PEA. (No, I'm not telling you which veggies to eat...that's your Mom's job.)

Here's an article I found
https://utilitywallet.com/best-fuel-injector-cleaners/

Don't know if these products are available where @OzXFR hangs out...
Thanks for the link.
I don't recall ever seeing any of those products "on the shelf" at the four or five auto parts stores I have been to in Adelaide. Maybe the Lucas but def not the rest.
Anyway, I bought three tins of BG44K from my "supplier" yesterday and they are getting two cans of the CRC intake valve cleaner for me.
No-one but no-one in Oz sells BG44K on Fleabay, and the last time I bought some from the US the sale was reversed coz they can't ship this type of fluid OS (something to do with dangerous/hazardous/flammable chemical malarkey). I would guess the same applies to all the products at your link.
So as I said earlier I was very lucky to find a local supplier just 10 km down the road (so no postage cost) and at a good price.

Old 08-13-2020, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
Also, is there a reason to get new injectors or use this service instead?

https://www.injectorrx.com
If you can get all the injectors out without damaging them, then that might be an interesting way to go.
Looks like you'd save about $50-60 per injector before shipping costs. I don't know about reusing the gaskets
or finding new ones. I'd say to first remove the injectors, then make the call. I was unable to remove the one
closest to the firewall without destroying it. The other 3 probably could've been replaced, but I don't know if I
would've wanted to chance it.

As a side note, my new ones have been running great. I only replaced one bank, but did a BG 44K flush right
after install for the non-replaced side. Hopefully they'll hold out. Good luck with the replacement.

Old 08-16-2020, 01:24 PM

So I'm replacing the passenger side injectors. I got as far as the coil packs before the lack of space gave me pause.

Is this really possible on an 8 cyl? My hand can barely reach in that far back to unplug the coilpack, much less use any kind of tool with leverage

Old 08-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by silvertonesx24
So I'm replacing the passenger side injectors. I got as far as the coil packs before the lack of space gave me pause.

Is this really possible on an 8 cyl? My hand can barely reach in that far back to unplug the coilpack, much less use any kind of tool with leverage

The passenger side is the Easy side Try getting the E Z Red socket set I recommended earlier and the coil bolts will be easier to remove.

Old 08-17-2020, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by RedSky
The passenger side is the Easy side Try getting the E Z Red socket set I recommended earlier and the coil bolts will be easier to remove.
I am actually on x351 XJ platform. Looks like the electrical box would somehow need to come out, the F type looks much more open. I'm not sure as the workshop manual only can be found for the diesel XJ not the 5.0 SC.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:38 PM

I was able to do it on the driver's side of a 2012 XF 5.0. That last one by the firewall is a bear. I had to remove some of the firewall to get the plastic shield out. Once I did that, it became easier, but by no means easy. The puller tool wouldn't fit snugly on the injector, so I ended up pulling it out with only partial grip. The remnants of that injector are shown in a photo earlier in the thread.

If you can spread the job over several days, it helps. I would get tired, take a break, then go back to it. It can be done, but definitely not as easy as depicted early in the thread.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:58 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got my diagnoses from the local dealer For my 2014 SV8 . It needs injectors and plugs to correct a misfire problem. Total estimate? Well, $6234! That is crazy! That’s about 10 months of car payments!

Old 08-19-2020, 10:51 AM
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

If you clean the carbon buildup in the injector port, wouldn’t that fall down on the piston? Is there a possibility of scoring the piston or cylinder wall? $800-$900 vs $6200 for the dealer service. I think I will invest a day or 2 and save $5300

austinjag (08-22-2020)
Old 08-24-2020, 05:40 PM
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Madscott
If you clean the carbon buildup in the injector port, wouldn’t that fall down on the piston? Is there a possibility of scoring the piston or cylinder wall? $800-$900 vs $6200 for the dealer service. I think I will invest a day or 2 and save $5300
yes im sure it could but id be more worried about it scoring the valve seats if it got caught, most of the injector carbon comes outs with the injector on the tip.

Old 12-19-2021, 02:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to retieve old thread, I have 2011 XKR 70k miles and seems like i may have the same issue with bad injectors, was driving on highway and got blinking check engine light, with reduced performance message, took a exit ramp stopped on red light and when light turned green tried to give little gas to pull over to the side got white/gray smoke from exhaust and little knock from the engine. stopped the car truned off the engine. car smelled like gas... run code scanner and got missfire on one side of clinders.

cleared codes, called towing, tow guy tried to start the engine but it wouldnt start, it knocked for few seconds and would not start... when i opened the oil cap i could smell fuel in the oil

Is it safe to say that i need to replace injectors??? is it normal that engine would not event start? or the cylinders seized because of fuel in oil and my engine is gone?

Old 12-19-2021, 09:26 PM

I doubt you've ruined the engine. I limped mine home after having the issue, and after I replaced the injectors and changed the oil, everything worked fine. I wouldn't read anything into the engine not starting either. I'd just change the injectors and oil, then diagnose any further issues at that point.

Old 12-26-2021, 12:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have XKR do I need to remove supercharger in order to access fuel injectors?

Old 12-26-2021, 01:27 PM
Received 2,614 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Originally Posted by Peterek82
I have XKR do I need to remove supercharger in order to access fuel injectors?
This forum is for the X152 (F-Type).

If your X150 has the AJ133S, there is no need to remove the supercharger if the injectors need to be removed.

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Injector Removal Step-By-Step