F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to love your F-Type even more...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts
Default How to love your F-Type even more...

Drive a loaner XE, XF, or XJ (or pretty much antything) for several days.

Major First-world problems alert:

Mine is in for the Enhancements campaign and some panel alignment adjustments, and they gave me a base XE (2.5 t) loaner over the long weekend.

Don't get me wrong, the XE would make a wonderful commuter/daily, but the problem is, the interior has similar elements (mostly infotainment buttons, controls, screen between tach/speedo, fob, etc) and I'm constantly comparing. With my LEAF it is so different I don't think about comparisons.

A few things I really appreciate on the F:
- supercharger linear throttle response- turbo lag is annoying... I feel like I'm driving with a teenager learning to drive, sudden jerks forward
- Sport mode (paddles only -- may be a way to engage, but I haven't figured it out)
- exhaust note (I don't think the XE even has one)
- vision package (I wait for the parking sensor beeps, and almost got smacked backing out with no warning of car coming from side)
- keyless entry using door handles (fishing for fob to click buttons is a nuisance)
- 14-way seats... that's a lot more ways

Can't wait to get her back (is it wrong to call it a her?)

Old 05-30-2017, 09:49 AM
Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
Drive a loaner XE, XF, or XJ (or pretty much antything) for several days.

Major First-world problems alert:

Mine is in for the Enhancements campaign and some panel alignment adjustments, and they gave me a base XE (2.5 t) loaner over the long weekend.

Don't get me wrong, the XE would make a wonderful commuter/daily, but the problem is, the interior has similar elements (mostly infotainment buttons, controls, screen between tach/speedo, fob, etc) and I'm constantly comparing. With my LEAF it is so different I don't think about comparisons.

A few things I really appreciate on the F:
- supercharger linear throttle response- turbo lag is annoying... I feel like I'm driving with a teenager learning to drive, sudden jerks forward
- Sport mode (paddles only -- may be a way to engage, but I haven't figured it out)
- exhaust note (I don't think the XE even has one)
- vision package (I wait for the parking sensor beeps, and almost got smacked backing out with no warning of car coming from side)
- keyless entry using door handles (fishing for fob to click buttons is a nuisance)
- 14-way seats... that's a lot more ways

Can't wait to get her back (is it wrong to call it a her?)
In the exact same situation now. The number of times that I have gotten close to the trunk of my rental XE and just tried to press the button on the trunk to open it with no success has been infuriating. Push button start is pointless without the other benefits like auto-unlocking doors. Regarding your point noting the jerkiness, that is also a problem I am having. I feel like I don't know how to get this car to drive smooth unless I accelerate really slowly. With all that said, it has made an excellent high-speed highway car. I just did a good 400 miles round trip and it was my fastest average (speed) trip ever. Additionally, I think Jag pipes some fake exhaust note into the car in dynamic mode. Lastly, the fact that auto-stop-start resets everytime the engine is turned off --------SHOOT ME!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

I drove an XE-R for a few months. Had the bells and whistles..blind spot monitoring etc. I tuned it up to 380HP. Zero lag (not turbo) Really handled well for the kind of car it was.....but...then I made the mistake of test driving an F-Type R AWD. EVERYTHING about the F-Type was multiple cuts above the XE-R.....end of story :-)
CRS

Old 05-30-2017, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

I'm in an Audi Q5 as of today while the Electrical Gremlins get sorted out. At least you had a jag. Not liking the Audi.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 880 Posts

My wife has an XE 25T and I really love it, but it has the full kit in the R sport - vision whatever, HUD, decent stereo, keyless, good seats, sunroof, auto boot, blah blah, all in IRR so it looks fantastic for a sedan.

It drives much better in dynamic and in sport and using paddles, the acceleration is very linear though it isnt noisy enough to let you know when the optimal time is to change up and you have to watch the tacho. What noise you get isnt ideal - on the inside it sounds like you are annoying a small dog, though it sounds better on the outside. Aside from the noise it is a seriously great car and the steering and ride is perfect especially for the twisties.

That said, it isnt an F Type. I wouldnt be trading the F Type for one, even if it was an XE SVR.

Old 05-30-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Im rocking a base model Nissan Sentra right now from Enterprise for another 41 days! I would set fire to an orphanage for an XE, XF, or XJ right now!

Old 05-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Received 83 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by NoScurdyJags
Im rocking a base model Nissan Sentra right now from Enterprise for another 41 days! I would set fire to an orphanage for an XE, XF, or XJ right now!
Uhhgg..I feel your pain. You having body work done?....I thought Jaguar would loan out another jag for warranty repair etc?
CRS

Old 05-31-2017, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 625 Likes on 529 Posts

I am suddenly very pleased with my Audi loaner.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by CRS 123
Uhhgg..I feel your pain. You having body work done?....I thought Jaguar would loan out another jag for warranty repair etc?
CRS
NoSkurdy had a bunghole in a beemer take out his left rear corner just before speeding off into the sunset.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:01 AM

Hmmm. I retract my harsh comments on my rental base XE after what you have been put in. Also, last night I was absolutely hooning the rental. Shifting the turbo motor at around 6200 and it slides smoothly into the next gear with no appreciable loss of torque. I found the new way to drive it: 10/10ths aka full throttle. Downshifts sound horrible though as it sounds like metal is being sucked into the turbo when the wastegate is open and bleeding boost.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 281 Likes on 214 Posts

In England generally if your car was in for bodywork repair, you were blessed with one of these Nissan Micra. If you were really lucky it had a radio. The insurance company wanted to get the most out of their $10 a day rental ;-) My sincere commiserations NoScurdyJags on your ordeal.

When mine is in for warranty/service I usually point to the British Design Edition they have on the sales forecourt but end up in a Land Rover Disco Sport.

Last edited by stmcknig; 05-31-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mueller
Shifting the turbo motor at around 6200 and it slides smoothly into the next gear with no appreciable loss of torque. I found the new way to drive it: 10/10ths aka full throttle. Downshifts sound horrible though as it sounds like metal is being sucked into the turbo when the wastegate is open and bleeding boost.
How do you find the handling against the f type? Personally I think the handling of the XE is slightly better (in the R sport with torque vectoring), but I dont know whether that is only because you have more control with less power on tap.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:05 PM
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Yup, its funny, in April the dealer had my car for a few days ironing out a few minor issues and I had the base XE, I didn't like it much compared to my F-type, but compared to the Nissan Id happily take the base XE!

WOW! Stmcknig that car looks hideous!!! See, now I'm thankful for the Sentra! Haha

Old 05-31-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I got a Ford Focus. Ugh.

Old 06-01-2017, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
How do you find the handling against the f type? Personally I think the handling of the XE is slightly better (in the R sport with torque vectoring), but I dont know whether that is only because you have more control with less power on tap.
The model I have handles terribly. Lots of body roll and the back end feels disconnected from the front. Taking fast turns and you can feel the sidewalls of the tires rolling over. Better tires and larger rims probably would make a world of difference.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member

hmmmm, try to get an r-sport next time, the handling is sweet.