F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to make the f-type stiffer

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:55 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I have the VAP springs, the fly is still there. I can't recall if its better or worse than stock in terms of reducing the car flying ability :P

Old 02-16-2018, 08:20 AM
Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Stiffer is not better!

Even with the SVR they dropped the weight of the car so they could run softer springs. Which resulted in better handling from a combination of softer springs in front, thicker rear arb and some weight saving by the means of forged wheels and lighter suspension components.

Weight is the enemy, shed some weight and then if anything maybe fit the SVR springs and anti roll bars.

My SVR is a joy to drive on the road, handles great and I put it in dynamic mode but set throttle and suspension to normal.

The following users liked this post:
indietor (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Stiffer is not better!

Even with the SVR they dropped the weight of the car so they could run softer springs. Which resulted in better handling from a combination of softer springs in front, thicker rear arb and some weight saving by the means of forged wheels and lighter suspension components.

Weight is the enemy, shed some weight and then if anything maybe fit the SVR springs and anti roll bars.

My SVR is a joy to drive on the road, handles great and I put it in dynamic mode but set throttle and suspension to normal.
the problem is not a real problem i think only because jaguar and porsche are 2 different car , that's it

Old 02-17-2018, 08:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

If you think of the F-Type as I do, more to the GT side of Sports, it makes sense.

I know the "jumpy" feeling. The combination of high weight, extremely stiff chassis, very little sidewall, and firm dampers makes it a little manic when hot-footing down bumpy roads. I've been using the dampers in "standard" setting more than I used to, so the suspension can work as it's supposed to. The roads around here are not exactly smooth.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:58 PM

today i start to learn how to guide the F type on the bump ...new style of driving , finally is sensation of "fly" because in reality the car is very planted , in some cases better than cayman

Old 02-17-2018, 10:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 954 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by indietor
today i start to learn how to guide the F type on the bump ...new style of driving , finally is sensation of "fly" because in reality the car is very planted , in some cases better than cayman
After I started racing motorcycles, I got a bit cocky. That attitude hit the tarmac as quickly as my street bike did when I tried to flick it like the race bike. That's not to say I haven't since used vehicles for purposes other than their design intent (I have) but I think it's fair to say I have more realistic expectations.

If you want to have fun, it's a great car. If you want to "win" on the street, I'll point out that on the street, the one who "wins" is the one who takes the biggest risks.

indietor (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by lizzardo
After I started racing motorcycles, I got a bit cocky. That attitude hit the tarmac as quickly as my street bike did when I tried to flick it like the race bike. That's not to say I haven't since used vehicles for purposes other than their design intent (I have) but I think it's fair to say I have more realistic expectations.

If you want to have fun, it's a great car. If you want to "win" on the street, I'll point out that on the street, the one who "wins" is the one who takes the biggest risks.
yes
i understand and i totally agree with you, for that i think i buy a race car for track....street is street and is dangerous for me and for other people

track is fun but i prefer a dedicated car for it

Old 02-18-2018, 11:47 AM
Received 822 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibbo205
Stiffer is not better!

It's quite common that people think stiffening up the springs will work well, but typically for road use it doesn't. Track is a different story.

When we first started making springs, people in the Aston community were fitting stuff that was available, but with a 1.5" drop, and big increase in spring rate they complained a lot about the 'pogo' effect. Meaning that the car wouldn't settle over bumps & dips. What it was they felt was really a spring that was mismatched to the damper. IE the damper bound & rebound were being limited in stroke by the spring rate.

We started working with a manufacturer in Australia to come up with a moderate drop (about the same as the FType ones - 22mm is the target) and a tapered coil design so that upon extension of the damper, the spring rate actually decreases to BELOW the stock spring rate, and the damper is able to control bound/rebound effectively. However, when you lean on the spring in the corner, you hit a higher spring rate which gives good roll stiffness and weight transfer.

The SVR has a slightly softer spring rate on the front end, and slightly stiffer on the rear (compared to the standard 'R') which makes it pointier - a little quicker on turn in and a little more tail happy.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
DJS (02-18-2018), ndabunka (02-18-2018), Panthro (02-25-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

hi stuart with the springs the "fly" go better ? a little improvement will be great , or only in weight transfers quicker , thx
Most after-market springs are for looks/appearance (lowering the car provides less gap between the wheel well and the tire) rather than significant handling improvements. In many cases after market springs often make a car handle WORSE, not better. I have no direct experience with the VAP springs but their approach does sound logical.

I have heard that the SVR springs are FAR BETTER for both handling as well as comfort (many reviews available online) so you might consider simply replacing your existing springs with the SVR springs.

What is your native language?

Last edited by ndabunka; 02-18-2018 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:40 PM

Italian

ndabunka (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Italian
La maggior parte delle molle di after-market sono per sguardi\/aspetto (abbassamento della vettura fornisce meno divario tra la ruota e pneumatico) piuttosto che di gestione significativi miglioramenti. In molti casi dopo mercato molle spesso fanno un'auto gestire peggio, non meglio. Non ho esperienza diretta con le molle VAP, ma il loro approccio suono logico. Ho sentito che le molle SVR sono molto meglio per movimentazione, nonché comfort (molte recensioni disponibili online) così si potrebbe considerare semplicemente sostituendo il con SVR springs.

Here is a translator that I use for business that does a pretty good job.
Italian English Online Translator: Italian English Translation | Direction: Italian

Old 04-21-2024, 11:27 PM
Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Has anyone fitted SVR springs and felt a difference? A quick Google search shows that the same part number is used for R and SVR springs. Does anyone know the correct part number for SVR springs? Has anyone tried the KW V3?

I've been driving on a lot of back mountain roads lately, and I've noticed that my car feels like it's catching air and not staying firmly planted on the ground. At first, I thought it might be due to the suspension system not being stiff enough, but after reading some forum posts, it seems like that might not be the issue.

I will try the non-dynamic suspension mode next time. However, honestly, I don't find much of a difference between the two on normal roads.

Old Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JagFR
Has anyone fitted SVR springs and felt a difference? A quick Google search shows that the same part number is used for R and SVR springs. Does anyone know the correct part number for SVR springs? Has anyone tried the KW V3?

I've been driving on a lot of back mountain roads lately, and I've noticed that my car feels like it's catching air and not staying firmly planted on the ground. At first, I thought it might be due to the suspension system not being stiff enough, but after reading some forum posts, it seems like that might not be the issue.

I will try the non-dynamic suspension mode next time. However, honestly, I don't find much of a difference between the two on normal roads.
Most people went for the lowering springs, kw v3 is out there but apparently nobody have done it, at least it’s not showing up on YouTube and various f type forums.

It’s also listed as compatible for v6 and 2014 v8s only, but not any of the later R and awd models, which limit the audience quite a bit.

I’m with most people here that the car is stiff enough but the rebound is killing the experience, and aside from the kw v3 nothing in the market offers separate compression and rebound adjustment.

Out of curiosity i checked Jaguar parts and it’s indeed showing the same spring for both R and SVR, this is the first time i heard that the SVR had differently springs, i always recalled it was just some lighter suspension components.

On a different note, T2R21016 is listed as a svr only front sway bar, while T2R7849 is a awd front sway bar that states “without svr” in the description, but lists svr as compatible in vehicle fitment.

JagFR (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Most people went for the lowering springs, kw v3 is out there but apparently nobody have done it, at least it’s not showing up on YouTube and various f type forums.

It’s also listed as compatible for v6 and 2014 v8s only, but not any of the later R and awd models, which limit the audience quite a bit.

I’m with most people here that the car is stiff enough but the rebound is killing the experience, and aside from the kw v3 nothing in the market offers separate compression and rebound adjustment.

Out of curiosity i checked Jaguar parts and it’s indeed showing the same spring for both R and SVR, this is the first time i heard that the SVR had differently springs, i always recalled it was just some lighter suspension components.

On a different note, T2R21016 is listed as a svr only front sway bar, while T2R7849 is a awd front sway bar that states “without svr” in the description, but lists svr as compatible in vehicle fitment.
On the forums people claimed that the “spring” is better on the SVR. However, it could be possible that they were referring to the shock absorber, which I found as a separate part number for the SVR (T2R20805). While it says that it will fit the 2019 R, it doesn't mention anything about the previous years. I am curious if anyone has attempted to swap them out.

It would be really helpful to hear back from SVR owners to know if they feel their car lifts on bumpy roads.

Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM
Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Oh this is getting interesting, i can’t find the thread but there were a few that touched on this, not deep dive but iirc certain components were made lighter, shock control module had a different tune, and combined with the lighter wheel and ceramic brakes the svr usually came with, made the car ride/handle better and feel lighter.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Ray Ray
Oh this is getting interesting, i can’t find the thread but there were a few that touched on this, not deep dive but iirc certain components were made lighter, shock control module had a different tune, and combined with the lighter wheel and ceramic brakes the svr usually came with, made the car ride/handle better and feel lighter.
I think it might not be worth swapping R with SVR suspension kit, as it would be easier and/or cost the same to trade-in to R for SVR, which would cost around $10k-$15k more. I have emailed Ohlin's to see if they have any options for Jags. If we can get this suspension thing sorted, I believe we’ll notice better braking, launching, and planted drive in most road conditions.

Can anyone who owns a 2019+ R or any year SVR share their experience on whether they feel any flight on bumpy roads and if the ride is more stable on uneven/bumpy roads?