Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How To: VelocityAP Supercharger Crank Pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,652 Likes on 3,362 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Steve and Lance, what would you do if your oil tests revealed excessive wear or some other indicator of ill engine health? Just curious as I don't push mine that hard and have no expectation of ever having an oil test performed.
High levels of various metals can indicate which specific components are subject to imminent failure (valves, rings, bearings). Water and fuel in the oil also indicate points of failure. Fixing the engine before a catastrophic failure destroys it is the real advantage of oil testing.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 961 Likes on 718 Posts

Originally Posted by fujicoupe
Steve and Lance, what would you do if your oil tests revealed excessive wear or some other indicator of ill engine health? Just curious as I don't push mine that hard and have no expectation of ever having an oil test performed.
Fair (and pointed) question. I don't have a prepared answer for that. I did have a bad report with my last car, that indicated possible coolant contamination in the oil. I mentioned it to my Service Advisor when I was in for something else, but told him to do nothing as my regular service was coming and I'd send another sample. He did look into it anyway and found no trouble. The subsequent sample showed nothing and there was no intervening oil change, so the sample must have been contaminated in some way. It was probably me, but I will never know.

Anyway, I'd investigate, but am not sure what form that would take. The first response would be to test again in a shorter interval. Given my past experience that might "soleve" the problem. If it persists, I dunno. Maybe start saving for a new engine? It really depends on the severity of the results.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Six months with tune only then 18 months with pulley and tune and zero problems.
But I change the engine oil and filter every six months, not because of any added stress caused by the pulley & tune, but because 75% of my trips are very short (1 or 2 miles) and the engine doesn't even get warm.
Get the pulley & tune, you will love it!
While I do have the tune, I do want more. The supercharger pulley looks very interesting . When you got the pulley, what did you find exactly? Also, what did it cost for install?
Thanks again, T.

Last edited by Red_99; 07-23-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,150 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_99
While I do have the tune, I do want more. The supercharger pulley looks very interesting. If you dont mind neasnjnf 5 Can
Eh?

Old 07-23-2019, 01:22 AM

Eh?
Apologies. I have since edidted the post but was really curious for people who did the pulley and then the tune in stages, now significant was just the pulley?

Old 07-23-2019, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

Apologies. I have since edidted the post but was really curious for people who did the pulley and then the tune in stages, now significant was just the pulley?
The pulley & tune felt like double the bump that the tune only gave.
Quoted figures are 375 hp for the untuned S, 412 hp for just the tune and 450 hp for pulley plus tune.
So the S increments are + 37 and + 38, pretty much identical, but it sure feels like more than that with the second bump to me.
Also remember the base starts at 335 hp so the first bump to 412 hp is much greater.
And the pulley by itself without the associated tune achieves nothing.
Install cost for me at an independent mechanic was around $300 AU.

Last edited by OzXFR; 07-23-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,278 Likes on 880 Posts

Cheers. Did the supercharger whine come from the pulley or the tune? Mine is going in for the VAP quad exhaust in about a month, might treat myself to something else though I got bent over on the cost of the OEM valance

Old 07-23-2019, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
Cheers. Did the supercharger whine come from the pulley or the tune? Mine is going in for the VAP quad exhaust in about a month, might treat myself to something else though I got bent over on the cost of the OEM valance
Bruce, in case you are directing this question at me:
The weeniest increase in SC whine from the tune only, it went from SFA to a bee's wotsit greater than SFA.
But pulley & tune was a whole other thing, heaps of SC whine now, under WOT and especially over 4,000 rpm it sounds like a 747 taking off!

The following users liked this post:
BruceTheQuail (07-23-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member

You shouldn't do the (lower) pulley first. It will throw codes. Adding the pulley to the tune is an even more significant change than when first installing the tune due to the torque increase.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:26 PM

The pulley & tune felt like double the bump that the tune only gave.
Quoted figures are 375 hp for the untuned S, 412 hp for just the tune and 450 hp for pulley plus tune.
So the S increments are + 37 and + 38, pretty much identical, but it sure feels like more than that with the second bump to me.
Also remember the base starts at 335 hp so the first bump to 412 hp is much greater.
And the pulley by itself without the associated tune achieves nothing.
Install cost for me at an independent mechanic was around $300 AU.
I'm really surprised that the pulley was so significant. Have you or anyone brought their car in for any peripheral engine work that was a challenge because the pulley is on the car and can't be removed?
I ask because I have an 18' and do not have the handheld OBD tool. Mine was installed using a tool that I borrowed from Stuart@ VAP so switching back and forth is extremely difficult if not impossible.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You shouldn't do the (lower) pulley first. It will throw codes. Adding the pulley to the tune is an even more significant change than when first installing the tune due to the torque increase.
Thanks for the response. I wanted to send you a message directly as I see you're quite active on the forumn, but I don't have privileges yet. In any event I have the tune, just trying to make sure the pulley is really what is claimed.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member

I'm really surprised that the pulley was so significant. Have you or anyone brought their car in for any peripheral engine work that was a challenge because the pulley is on the car and can't be removed?
I ask because I have an 18' and do not have the handheld OBD tool. Mine was installed using a tool that I borrowed from Stuart@ VAP so switching back and forth is extremely difficult if not impossible.
Yep, it really is that significant, just do it!
Zero work done on my car since the pulley install, it's out of warranty anyway and I do all the service and maintenance work myself.
I think I read somewhere where Chris or Stuart from VAP explained that the DIY hand held (the VTech tool) doesn't work on late model F-Types (MY 2018+???) so instead they send you a "loaner" tool.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the response. I wanted to send you a message directly as I see you're quite active on the forumn, but I don't have privileges yet. In any event I have the tune, just trying to make sure the pulley is really what is claimed.
Take it from me, the pulley & tune really is what is claimed.

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
mlebofsky (07-24-2019), slipstream (04-10-2020)
Old 07-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member

As Oz says:”Yep.” The tune and pulley are all they’re claimed to be. I had the stepwise improvement carefully documented on a dyno.

The following users liked this post:
mlebofsky (07-24-2019)
Old 07-26-2019, 01:16 PM

Installing the pulley and tune on my 14 V8S and taking it to Brainerd International Raceway on the 1st of August for some track runs. This car is stock as of now, so I expect the difference to be quite a bit.

I'll have my Dragy on the car so I should have some real life numbers to provide in a couple weeks if anyone is interested.

Old 07-26-2019, 02:35 PM

I've called around, but I can't seem to get anyone to install except one tunning shop that's light years away. Also, to get the new tune that incorporated the pulley, should i flash begore going in to the shop or after?

Old 07-26-2019, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 410 Posts

I've called around, but I can't seem to get anyone to install except one tunning shop that's light years away. Also, to get the new tune that incorporated the pulley, should i flash begore going in to the shop or after?
After is fine; just don't drive it hard on the way home and you'll be fine.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stohlen
After is fine; just don't drive it hard on the way home and you'll be fine.
Before is fine too. The maps to run the lower boost will still be in place.

Old 07-26-2019, 10:18 PM

good to know, thanks. If I can find someone to do it, how long (aprox) would you say install took? 4rs? In terms of install, my understanding is that the 3.0L is the same as the 5.0L?

Old 07-26-2019, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member

good to know, thanks. If I can find someone to do it, how long (aprox) would you say install took? 4rs? In terms of install, my understanding is that the 3.0L is the same as the 5.0L?
If they dawdle, it’ll take two hours. (They might charge 3). Same for both engines. Take tension off idler, remove belt, raise car on lift, remove under-tray(s), remove pulley. Reverse process. It might even go faster if the crossover intake tubing is removed to provide easier access to the tension idler.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-26-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: How To: VelocityAP Supercharger Crank Pulley