F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 06:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

I don't know anything about building a track car, but if the OP wants an F type R , track car there is no other way to do it except with an F type R.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I don't know anything about building a track car, but if the OP wants an F type R , track car there is no other way to do it except with an F type R.
He already is leasing & tracking his F-Type R

Old 06-13-2018, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,636 Likes on 3,359 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Unhinged and Indietor have a running thread on dropping weight. There is some info on porting the heads and running meth. You may want to search for those threads.
+1. I have already cut off almost 100 lbs so far and have projects in the works for another 100. Beyond that, I think another 70-120 can be eliminated without sacrificing safety, luxury or comfort. Of course, if willing to sacrifice any of that, there’s a lot more fat on this cat (install racing bucket, AC system/passive restraints/pass. seat/interior trim/and carpet removal, CF roof, etc.) No clue what that might add up to.

Old 06-13-2018, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

That was understood, I was responding to all the alternate suggestions that weren't an f type. It seemed somewhat clear that the OP wanted a dedicated f type track car, not a different, better, faster, cheaper, etc track car that isn't an f type. Maybe I misunderstood his post.

Old 06-13-2018, 11:23 PM
Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
So I am toying with the idea of building a dedicated track car with my FType R. I have commented that it would be world class if she was just a bit lighter. Then, the lightbulb went off, why not do it yourself?

The car already has the power so my focus would be on making it lighter, safer, better brakes, better cooling, and more downforce. Build a wing and splitter, upgrade the brake system, pull out as much weight from the interior, add lightweight track wheels, build a bespoke harness bar.

Does anyone know if there is tuning available? Was thinking just to change the seats lightweight race seats would likely throw a code - need to be able to recode that.

Also, are there any speed shops out there with the ability to dial in the suspension?

Thanks for input.

Mc
As far as I know, Invictus Racing in the British GT Championship are the only ones racing the F-Type. Reach out to them! First season for it, specs of the cars can be found by clicking link and scrolling down.
You may find some good ideas. The Jag may not set the fastest lap times or be least expensive but it sure can be fun and unique on the track if prepped correctly!

https://www.invictusgamesracing.com/the-cars-jaguar-gt4

Attached Images  
Old 06-14-2018, 12:11 AM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=ndabunka;1912609]Matt didn't say ANYTHING about "the best track car he could build for a certain price". Here is EXACTLY what he asked in his first post...

"So I am toying with the idea of building a dedicated track car with my FType R. I have commented that it would be world class if she was just a bit lighter."

——
Zero wrath. I think the issue is the guys with a lot of track experience know that there is no way to make the F Type world class by getting it a bit lighter.

The Jaguar is a street car, and frankly it’s not a car driven by track guys. You would be going in blind and that’s just folly. With some of the other brands listed there is a wealth of information from vast communities of people putting in hundreds and hundreds of hours of track time.

My my experience with the Jaguar community suggests it is not all like the Porsche, Lotus communities I was previously a part of. Not worse, but not as technical or track oriented.

And frankly that that shows in the car. Its heavy, really heavy, and you just can’t suck 800 lbs out of it.

My advise ice is to track it a few times a year, but if you are serious and you want to have the fast lap times, there are cars that are much better suited to the task, and in the long run, they will be cheaper and much less hassle

Old 07-29-2018, 11:21 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Any update on this OP?