XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

x300 engine into series 2. good idea/ bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 07:35 AM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default x300 engine into series 2. good idea/ bad idea?

Ok i have the engine and trans out of my series 2 vanden plas. I have a replacement xk 4.2 ready to go in, BUT, i am tempted to transplant the sweet x300 drivetrain into it. I have both cars side by side and the physical measurements are adding up. I presume the electronic issues with diagnostics ecu transmission etc would be the main problem, but all things considered the x300 seems relatively simple by comparison to everything built afterwards by jaguar. Anyone heard of this being done? What are the pitfalls? I think it would make a really nice motor car

Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

I say bad idea.

Firstly you would devalue the Series 2 by fitting non original engine.

Secondly, the integrated electronics for the X300 would make the project a major headache. Just to get the engine started requires integrated signals from Transmission module, Security module, Body Processor module and main ECU.

Old 12-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by jjd
Ok i have the engine and trans out of my series 2 vanden plas. I have a replacement xk 4.2 ready to go in, BUT, i am tempted to transplant the sweet x300 drivetrain into it. I have both cars side by side and the physical measurements are adding up. I presume the electronic issues with diagnostics ecu transmission etc would be the main problem, but all things considered the x300 seems relatively simple by comparison to everything built afterwards by jaguar. Anyone heard of this being done? What are the pitfalls? I think it would make a really nice motor car
I'm not sure why anyone would replace the beautiful, basically tried and true XK engine with one from the X300, I've owned both and prefer the design, beauty and simplicity of the XK engine.

Old 12-10-2014, 04:41 PM
jjd
Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JTsmks
I'm not sure why anyone would replace the beautiful, basically tried and true XK engine with one from the X300, I've owned both and prefer the design, beauty and simplicity of the XK engine.
Fair point but the xk lump was not at the top of its game performance, efficiency and reliability wise even when it was current (sorry but its true jag lovers) and the aj16 is way ahead of it.

I own both as well and would not sacrifice performance and reliability over beauty in relation to an engine myself and i reckon its a fair swap seeing as its jaguar into jaguar. As far as devaluing the car, they are almost worthless here at the moment unfortunately so thats not an issue.

Having said all that the electronic gremlins are the stumbling block but i have been put in touch with a "genius" who can apparently handle these issues and he is calling to have a look next week. I have seen his work in relation to transplanting modern tdi running gear into 70s and 80s vws also modern running gear into classic mercs. Its top notch stuff so heres hoping!

Old 12-10-2014, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Well we would all definitely be interested in the outcome. Keep us up to date.

Old 12-10-2014, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 718 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by jjd
Fair point but the xk lump was not at the top of its game performance, efficiency and reliability wise even when it was current (sorry but its true jag lovers) and the aj16 is way ahead of it. I own both as well and would not sacrifice performance and reliability over beauty in relation to an engine myself and i reckon its a fair swap seeing as its jaguar into jaguar. As far as devaluing the car, they are almost worthless here at the moment unfortunately so thats not an issue. Having said all that the electronic gremlins are the stumbling block but i have been put in touch with a "genius" who can apparently handle these issues and he is calling to have a look next week. I have seen his work in relation to transplanting modern tdi running gear into 70s and 80s vws also modern running gear into classic mercs. Its top notch stuff so heres hoping!
I would have to put my 87 XJ6 4.2 and 97 XJ6L 4.0 in the same boat. Both have/ had 70k on them and both got similar performance and mileage, Really don't notice much difference. I have to do far more tweaking with the 4.0 ...timing chain tensioner , COP's and failing crank sensor so the X300's doesn't get my vote as superior as some swear by. I owned my XJ6 Series III for 4 years as well as my current X300 for the past 4. I personally don't think it worth the trouble as my experiences don't give the edge to the 4.0 or its degree of difficulty getting it right in an old wrapper.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

Coyote engine with manual, now we’re talking good idea. I know this is an old thread but i figured Id zombie it and bring it back to life

Old 03-02-2018, 06:54 PM
Received 218 Likes on 138 Posts

Try this forum title. Fitting a AJ16 SC motor into a 1984 Series three.

Larry Louton