F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car

So I am toying with the idea of building a dedicated track car with my FType R. I have commented that it would be world class if she was just a bit lighter. Then, the lightbulb went off, why not do it yourself?

The car already has the power so my focus would be on making it lighter, safer, better brakes, better cooling, and more downforce. Build a wing and splitter, upgrade the brake system, pull out as much weight from the interior, add lightweight track wheels, build a bespoke harness bar.

Does anyone know if there is tuning available? Was thinking just to change the seats lightweight race seats would likely throw a code - need to be able to recode that.

Also, are there any speed shops out there with the ability to dial in the suspension?

Thanks for input.

Mc

The following users liked this post:
FR500GT (06-13-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

There is a forum regular that offers such service... but fundamentally, I think this isn't a cost effective approach. You will spend serious money turning a rather expensive car into unimpressive track car.

If you want to own a track car you have two approaches - a) buy OEM-built (e.g. Mercedes-AMG GT3) or b) start with inexpensive road car and build it up (e.g. Mustang).

Approach a) is expensive. Approach b) is variable cost. The key to making b) work is keeping costs in control. When you start with a car that costs $40K, and your budget is $100K, then you have LOTS of room for mods. When you start with a car that costs $90K then you have very little budget for mods. And if your budget is not limited, why not go with a) to get to a better result right away?

Matttheboatman (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 156 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
So I am toying with the idea of building a dedicated track car with my FType R. I have commented that it would be world class if she was just a bit lighter. Then, the lightbulb went off, why not do it yourself?

The car already has the power so my focus would be on making it lighter, safer, better brakes, better cooling, and more downforce. Build a wing and splitter, upgrade the brake system, pull out as much weight from the interior, add lightweight track wheels, build a bespoke harness bar.

Does anyone know if there is tuning available? Was thinking just to change the seats lightweight race seats would likely throw a code - need to be able to recode that.

Also, are there any speed shops out there with the ability to dial in the suspension?

Thanks for input.

Mc
You are already tracking your car more than most of us. I thought you had also already gotten the VAP tune but if not, start there and then move to weight reduction on the wheels next as that will make the most difference quickly and there are even some lightweight rotors now available that will help even more with the weight reductions on the corners.

You could also strip out the interior but installing a roll bar may not be necessary on your coupe as I believe there is already one built into the chassis.

I don't think anyone here has tried to remove the A/C from any of these cars to gain HP in that area but there are likely an entire slew of things you can do to continue the weight reduction. Now, as far that SinF's comments on this all resulting in a sub-par performing vehicle... I disagree and there is even a group of F-Types that are being raced regularly over in Europe so they do have a chance and it would be cool to see the end result

Old 06-12-2018, 10:22 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Also see the Li-Ion battery thread for more weight reduction.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by SinF
There is a forum regular that offers such service... but fundamentally, I think this isn't a cost effective approach. You will spend serious money turning a rather expensive car into unimpressive track car.

If you want to own a track car you have two approaches - a) buy OEM-built (e.g. Mercedes-AMG GT3) or b) start with inexpensive road car and build it up (e.g. Mustang).

Approach a) is expensive. Approach b) is variable cost. The key to making b) work is keeping costs in control. When you start with a car that costs $40K, and your budget is $100K, then you have LOTS of room for mods. When you start with a car that costs $90K then you have very little budget for mods. And if your budget is not limited, why not go with a) to get to a better result right away?
Excellent point - I can see you think about this stuff like me! Your way of thinking is exactly my thought, except throw this in the mix:

- my car is leased and buyout is $58k in December.

For the money, the '16 Jag is waaaaay more capable than anything else I can buy for that amount.

With a Mustang or Camaro, I get practicality but give up the pride of ownership. With a German GT car such as a used Porsche GT4 $100k or used GT3 $125, you get pride of ownership at an expensive price and modding and tracking an expensive car is usually for the ultra wealthy.

My goal is to build the car and still be able to drive it on the street. This past weekend I saw the worlds best looking roll cage on a special red Porsche 959. The thing was done so beautifully, wrapped in padded leather that after asking 3 different people not one person even noticed it had a roll cage. That is my inspiration for perhaps doing the Jag the same way!

Last edited by Matttheboatman; 06-12-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet the V6 would be a good option as well seeing as how you can pick one up for dirt cheap.

RWD, V6, Manual, F-type, track car? YESSSSSS

Old 06-12-2018, 10:53 AM

Check out this cage:

Attached Thumbnails Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car-7a521001-ec14-46d1-bfde-fcb8820de4a4.jpeg   Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car-ae6c7915-3d29-4a22-b61f-6566084b9101.jpeg   Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car-8d4f8aca-72dc-46c0-b023-5ca89fc0c183.jpeg   Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car-e611f488-eb76-4ae8-ac44-26a10dc5e55b.jpeg   Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car-aa241303-d80f-4602-8940-fe505d6d1175.jpeg  

Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car-37a9661d-fcee-4359-b631-5d9499e58d3a.jpeg  
SinF (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Matttheboatman
For the money, the '16 Jag is waaaaay more capable than anything else I can buy for that amount.
For a street car? Sure. But we are talking about track car. I can tell you people give exactly Zero F what you drive on the track, it is all about how you drive it, and if you actually look at any dedicated track car they are all fugly and banged up unless you get into very top (i.e. televised with sponsors) competitions. Track use is a hard life. Even if you start pretty, it won't stay that way for long.

My goal is to build the car and still be able to drive it on the street.
This is not a good idea. Track cars usually not street legal (i.e. emissions) are jarringly uncomfortable rides in normal use, hot, loud, and cramped (e.g. safety cage, interior strip, AC delete). It is very expensive to make a road-legal track car and you will have to compromise on performance to get there.

Let me ask you, do you actually plan to compete? If not, you don't need a track car. Mod your Jag to improve performance, but don't try to make a track car out of it unless you plan to get to a podium. I take my F-type to the track rather regularly, but I don't compete with it.

Last edited by SinF; 06-12-2018 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by SinF
Even if you start pretty, it won't stay that way for long.
All my cars get tracked and stay pretty Yes, I know I'm the only guy out there cleaning off the rubber between sessions but hey, its what I like!

Its a hobby, having a fun looking car that 10 years olds dream about (I'm only 11 says my wife), and going fast.

My big concern is safety - so as I get faster and faster I'm thinking definately a a race seat with halo, definately some fire suppression, and definately some kind of a pretty cage or harness bar.

The Porsche 959 is my inspiration. its gotta look good, be fast, and be safe.

To make do this on the Jag I need access to the computer for adjustments, and then come up with ways to put the car on a diet.

Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM
Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

Cheaper to buy a good used base Corvette Z06 with 650 hp to start...

Old 06-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

I don't think its such an outlandish idea. I love the idea of turning one into a track car and i recall a thread a year or two ago about buying one that was totaled by insurance because if paint getting into the engine compartment to experiment with just that notion. I don't think it ever happened but I'd love to see someone tackle it and see just how light and nimble they could get it to be.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

off course its easy for me to spend someone else's money...and fun too!

Old 06-12-2018, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 624 Likes on 528 Posts

Unhinged and Indietor have a running thread on dropping weight. There is some info on porting the heads and running meth. You may want to search for those threads.

Old 06-12-2018, 10:39 PM
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I would not. The F-Type is a HEAVY street car, never mind a track car. That is not only an issue on the track, but it is murder on consumables. You will go through tires and brakes like there’s no tomorrow.

My track car was a Lotus 211. Very light and easy on consumables. The car was 290 whp and only 1680 lbs with fuel. It was a rocket and frankly built for the track with proper brakes, dry sump, full FIA cage, 6 point harness, fire suppression etc.

Prior to that I tracked and street drove my Porsche Cayman R. That car had mono ball suspension, half cage, upgraded brakes, carbon buckets, 6 point harness etc. It was as close to a track car as I would go for an on street car.

My advice is go for a well known track car, especially if you aren’t a track rat. Drive a Porsche, certain BMW’s, a Lotus, Covertte, Subaru, GTR, some Hondas etc on a track and there will be a community to help you solve tires, suspension, alignment, clutch, harnesses, pads, tunes etc.

If you are really unsure, go Porsche, BMW, Miata and Corvette (Lotus in some markets). Those guys actually track their cars a bunch and you wont have to invent everything. Plus you will always know how fast you are, because there are a of lot times for most tracks recorded with drivers in these brands.

I would check with your local track and see what the community is up to.

Old 06-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Received 240 Likes on 167 Posts

The definition of Track car requires some clarification. The F-Type is NOT a good start. Spare parts are extremely expensive, the car is heavy and the R AWD is not at all competitive in the class it would fall in. A V6S RWD with an all allowed diet is a better choice to be somewhat competitive.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by BlackPenquinn
I would not. The F-Type is a HEAVY street car, never mind a track car. That is not only an issue on the track, but it is murder on consumables. You will go through tires and brakes like there’s no tomorrow.

My track car was a Lotus 211. Very light and easy on consumables. The car was 290 whp and only 1680 lbs with fuel. It was a rocket and frankly built for the track with proper brakes, dry sump, full FIA cage, 6 point harness, fire suppression etc.

Prior to that I tracked and street drove my Porsche Cayman R. That car had mono ball suspension, half cage, upgraded brakes, carbon buckets, 6 point harness etc. It was as close to a track car as I would go for an on street car.

My advice is go for a well known track car, especially if you aren’t a track rat. Drive a Porsche, certain BMW’s, a Lotus, Covertte, Subaru, GTR, some Hondas etc on a track and there will be a community to help you solve tires, suspension, alignment, clutch, harnesses, pads, tunes etc.

If you are really unsure, go Porsche, BMW, Miata and Corvette (Lotus in some markets). Those guys actually track their cars a bunch and you wont have to invent everything. Plus you will always know how fast you are, because there are a of lot times for most tracks recorded with drivers in these brands.

I would check with your local track and see what the community is up to.
Good point on the consumables & other valid points. Based on his other posts, this OP may already qualify as a track rat who may simply be trying to do something a bit different from the rest. Check out his posted videos where we can follow his progress in learning how to drive his F-Type on the track. Pretty cool footage IMHO

Old 06-13-2018, 09:49 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,063 Likes on 1,369 Posts

If I read Matt's post right, he's talking about converting a car that he already has, rather than searching for the perfect car to build a track car out of. Very different things.

ndabunka (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
If I read Matt's post right, he's talking about converting a car that he already has, rather than searching for the perfect car to build a track car out of. Very different things.
The car he already has isn't fully depreciated asset, as such you should always factor in cost. It isn't even fully paid-off, as it has $58K buyout. The way I see this proposition is taking what is $65K asset, turning it into essentially $20K asset (approx going rate for used track cars), spending money on transformation, only to end up with sub-par track car.

---

Now, if I were interested in getting the best possible road-going track car, was on ~60K-ish budget, I would start with Mustang GT350R or Corvette C7 Grand Sport. Then I'd invest in a really nice cage and call it done.

---

I think there are two issues discussed here that are getting conflated.

a. How to extract value out of existing lease F-type at the end. KBB prices 2016 R at $62-69K as a private sale and there is $58K buyout.

b. What car to pick that could be effectively turned into road-going track car

---

With a., solution is to trade-in the car and negotiate locked value toward new purchase. You don't have to return the car to your Jaguar dealer. You can always go to, for example, Ford dealer and trade it in when ordering new Mustang with a credit toward new purchase.

You can always buy-out the car and sell it, but moving $60K+ car in a private sale is always challenging. People will want financing.

OR

You can buy-out F-type, keep driving it as-is, then get yourself a used track car for about $20K that has everything needed.

Last edited by SinF; 06-13-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran Member

Matt didn't say ANYTHING about "the best track car he could build for a certain price". Here is EXACTLY what he asked in his first post...

"So I am toying with the idea of building a dedicated track car with my FType R. I have commented that it would be world class if she was just a bit lighter."

So naturally my recommendations were appropriate on how to make the car track better by making the corners lighter and perhaps adding some tuning.

Seems others on here are going off on some wild goose chase trying to build him what THEY think would be a "better" track car than an F-Type but that is NOT what he asked about. Seems many have taken offense to Matt using the words "World Class" that brought this wrath upon the OP?

There are LOTS of thoughts on that and I would lean towards a used Lotus if that had been the question. Here are some links if he does decide to go that route..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1476226932463208/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/824047894431281/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/18682611768/

Last edited by ndabunka; 06-13-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:08 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I love the idea and hope you do it!

But as other have stated, it would be on the expensive side as there currently is not a lot of aftermarket support (yet) for F-Type track cars. I believe this is the 2nd season with the new GT4 F-Types and I know their is a new series consisting of all F Types starting soon which should bring some more attention as well.

On a side note, I have been looking into aftermarket seats recently. Sabelt has some interest in the project so if I can get them installed with good brackets and sliders I will report back to you with an update.

ndabunka (06-13-2018)

Quick Reply: Idea: Build an F-Type Track Car