F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Jag (JLR) does an electric sports car...are you in?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 08:09 PM
YRS
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Well, let's put Moore's Law in play here and predict we'll something approximating a doubling of energy density in 18 months...meaning, let's keep a 300 mile range, but cut battery weight by 50% or so. That sounds pretty compelling...

Old 07-19-2023, 04:54 AM
Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

@YRS I have seen data that shows li-ion batteries increasing specific energy density (Wh/kg) of about 5~7% per year.
This trend has been pretty consistent since the first viable Li-ion cell, where the energy density nearly doubled in a decade.

The following users liked this post:
YRS (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 08:13 AM
Received 19 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=eeeeek;2656036]I'm not convinced that electric cars are the right long term solution. There are a few different ways to get to very low emissions and there are a herd of elephants in the room when discussing EV shortfalls.

In no particular order:

Let's say I'm staying the night in San Francisco. Where do I charge?
Let's say I'm staying the night in Paso Robles at an AirBNB. Where do I charge?
Let's say I live in an apartment. Where do I change?
What do I do with the car when the battery has gone through its useful life? What happens to the batteries?
Let's say on a major holiday, many people are travelling from LA to NorCal. What happens when too many people stop off and the line to charge is over a mile long?
Charging to full takes much longer than the EV companies advertise. That Tesla supercharge they brag about? It only takes the car to about 80% charge. The final 20% takes much, much longer.
Let's not get started on how bad cold weather and mountains limit the range.

I leased an EV for three years. The first year was great. I charged for free at my work. I could count on a charger at many places. Fast forward about a year and a half and there were 13 cars fighting for 9 chargers at my work. I would rarely find open chargers anywhere in the wild and I could no longer take my EV to Giant's games because I would not have a place to charge. By the time my lease was up. I was completely turned off to EVs.

I use my F-Type for fun trips. Some are beyond the range of any EV and during my last trip to Paso Robles. There is no EV on the market that could have taken me from my house to the AirBNB where we stayed. I stopped for gas once on 46 (not far from where James Dean died) and when I got to my AirBNB, things were all good. I spent the weekend running around going to different wineries and had no stress. Of all the places I stopped, only one had an EV charger, and it was taken. Had I been in an EV, the weekend would have been full of range anxiety. Sure, I could have brought a 110 unit and plugged into one of the outlets at the airbnb, but that would be a very slow charge and I would not be at full juice during the entire weekend.

I'll pass on a Jag EV, and any other EV for that matter, until I have so much disposable income that I can drop a large chunk of change on a car that I'll only use for limited trips.[/QUOTE

like your comments. Being in Aust, range and recharge time are critical.
I commonly drive well beyond any EV range just for a drive.
was a big driver to me buying my F Type. I can’t see EV being anything beyond a city run around for a long time.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jkel72:
OzXFR (07-19-2023), Tracy Rominger (07-20-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 12:02 PM
Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

There's a reason that music is the universal language and has such a tight grip on all cultures. I have heard world class orchestras and rock groups like Led Zeppelin, Yes, and Jethro Tull in their prime and nothing stirs the human soul like incredible sound.

In 1976, I was one of 130,000 at JFK stadium in Philadelphia for a Yes concert which also included Peter Frampton opening and playing his anthem, "Do you Feel Like We Do," where he makes his guitar "talk"...people were going absolutely out of their minds. This was followed by Yes playing such classics as "Sound Chaser" and "Heart of the Sunrise" and people were pushed even further into a state of [fill in the blank] ... . I still get chills thinking about that night. Truly incredible concert! Sound might not be everything, but it's a great deal of what's amazing about being human!

I remember watching a documentary on how much research Porsche does on engineering their cars so they create the "perfect" exhaust note and how concerned they were with the evolution of the 911 into its 996 series in 99' with a water cooled engine. I was lucky enough to have a 98' C2S which was the last year of the air cooled engine and it made a truly wonderful sound.

Can anybody imagine driving our cars without hearing that glorious exhaust note? The first thing I did on my car is pull out fuse #15 and throw it in the trash, and always drive the car in dynamic mode for the same reason. I can't get enough.

Maybe like Cadillac's of the past [or Lexus's of the present], the intention is isolation from your environment, but a sports car is supposed to be all about engagement, so how can one not be completely immersed in the experience without being intimately tied into the heart and soul of a sports car's engine?

I don't get it. No wonder that Taycan values are dropping like a rock.

Cluck (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 04:06 PM

Ah.. @synthesis the music of an EV is “different”
Think Heart and their “Dreamboat Annie”

The EV lets you hear the tires singing, and the inverter’s PWM whine expressed in the motor windings… the aerodynamic whoosh.
It can still be an epic ballad, just have to listen for it.

Last edited by HermanWiegman; 07-19-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2023, 10:36 PM
Received 184 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by HermanWiegman
Ah.. @synthesis the music of an EV is “different”
Think Heart and their “Dreamboat Annie”

The EV lets you hear the tires singing, and the inverter’s PWM whine expressed in the motor windings… the aerodynamic whoosh.
It can still be an epic ballad, just have to listen for it.
Although you could probably change the name of my town to "Tesla," I will admit that I have never stepped foot in an EV. As a casual observer, they kind of sound like golf carts, but to each his/her own. My beef is with E sports cars.

Instead of "Dreamboat Annie," I imagine driving an E sports car to be more similar to making love to your ex-wife [or husband] about five years after the flame was extinguished...not overly satisfying.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:55 AM

Breaking News....
U.K. Clinches $5 Billion EV-Battery Plant as Race for Green Investments Heats Up
Move by Jaguar Land Rover owner Tata comes as Europe tries to attract more projects

/u-k-cinches-5-billion-ev-battery-plant-as-race-for-green-investments-heats-up-e20b142f

Old 07-20-2023, 08:55 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

I retired from Tesla in 2019. When I tell people that and they know I have an F Type R they ask me why I didn't buy a Tesla. My answer is because I wanted a stylish, true two seat sports car that goes really fast, is loud and gets crappy gas mileage. I have no illusions about preventing Global Warming.

My other car is a 2019 Mazda CX 5 which is my daily driver and fills a very practical purpose of being AWD (I get some snow up here in the mountains) and having good cargo capacity for grocery getting or Home Depot runs. For the limited driving I do now that I am retired an EV would be a practical choice. I would have a 240V charging system added to my main electrical panel and charge it in my garage.

But I am also thankful that financially I was able to afford a totally impractical car like an F Type as just a toy and weekend driver. I have owned pretty much nothing but sports cars all my life and when I traded in my 2009 Nissan 370Z on the Mazda I immediately knew that although it was the practical thing to do, I would miss having a sports car. I know that I don't have to explain it to members here. I think we are born as gearheads or motorheads. Or we're not. This is the earliest know photo of me. My future was already ingrained.

Last edited by Dwight Frye; 07-20-2023 at 09:06 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dwight Frye:
PaulBarrrera (07-20-2023), scm (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 11:48 AM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Simple answer: Fu*k no! I want to hear the power and listen to the obnoxious sounds of a high performance car. I don't care how fast an EV is, they have no soul. In the near future, I may not be able to buy new cars anymore, but I will be a loyal customer to any car maker who offers gas engines. If not, I'll just keep my Jag or find pre-owned.

Old 08-09-2023, 12:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my Model Y (Long Range AWD) and I love my F-type (V6, MT). If Jaguar made a light weight electric sports car, I would be thrilled. Are their things I would miss about my IC Manual, mechanical F-type? Of course. Are their things that are great about electric cars? - absolutely; instant torque is great, convenience, maintenance and cost are also pros with electric vehicles. If Jaguar offered something exciting in this space, I'd love to be convinced.

Old 08-09-2023, 03:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 1,090 Posts

Originally Posted by spinningcog
If Jaguar made a light weight electric sports car, I would be thrilled.
Lightweight and electric don't sit well together with current(!) battery technology.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:05 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Indeed... unless you're okay with a 50-mile range. I had a '21 Tesla, and don't plan to own another EV until the battery technology is improved. They have ten times more drawbacks than I thought. Fortunately, I caught the market up, and actually made a total profit (including installation cost of a 240V charger, and all taxes and accessories) of $3K+ after using it one year and 10K miles, so at least I had a free 1-yr test-drive. But yes, it was stupid fast, and in silence, which was both nice and disappointing. Ha ha.

Old 08-09-2023, 06:57 PM
Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

No.

Originally Posted by Doc Oc
Why are people talking about gears lol? Y'all like being slower so the car can go vroom vroom? Do you have any idea how intoxicating it is not to have to wait on power? Instant torque at your command at any point....no lag to change gears, no redline, no wheelspin, no power band to wait on. It'll ruin you for the ICE and the need to have noise and change gears is in your mind, not reality.
The reasoning?

This.

Originally Posted by Cluck
For some people an electric car is always going to be a tool to do a job, and it will serve those folk well. For those of us that cannot escape from the joy of our bodies rumbling with the distant echoes of a monstrous V8 or screaming V6, an electric car will never do 'it' for us and no amount of 'persuading' will change that fact..
It's why I flew across the country and drove my new car 2700+ miles back home, entirely for the stick shift. It's not quick or fast compared to many other cars (Shoot my wife's Volvo easily takes this thing off the line and has more HP and Torque) but I personally get zero pleasure from going fast in a straight line. Might be my previous job put that in perspective where 0-60 was typically under a second and 0-180 came in roughly two seconds later.

Now, a Hybrid sports car? Yes, all the sound, fury, vibrations and stick shitfery that you can handle and a kick in the pants electric torque from zero RPM? Yes, please.....

piperman (08-09-2023)
Old 08-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If Jaguar made a G-type EV that looked as good as the F-type and had some unique interpretation of the driving excitement, I'd be happy to own one.

Old 08-09-2023, 08:50 PM
Cgo
Received 233 Likes on 109 Posts

Big fat NO FKING WAY!! I don't care how fast EVs are, they sound like crap. Plus, I am not going to support strip mining, child labor, and toxic waste from the manufacturing of these things that have a way bigger carbon and pollution impact on the planet when the mining, manufacturing, and charging is factored in. These climate change fools are being sold a lie about EVs. Do some research people!