Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All-Electric Jaguar F-Type Decision Imminent

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts
Default All-Electric Jaguar F-Type Decision Imminent

Say goodbye to the V8 and V6?

The Jaguar F-Type has been on the market since 2013 but the UK carmaker recently decided to extend its life by another three model years. There are several reasons why, among them the drop in sales. It’s not like high-performance expensive coupes and convertibles are flying off dealership lots (save for the Porsche 911). Jaguar Land Rover’s serious financial issues also play a significant role for the delay.

But according to Autocar, there appears to be yet another reason why: the still undecided possibility the next F-Type could go all-electric. The publication recently spoke with Jaguar design boss Ian Callum who confirmed "It’s a very difficult decision. What I will say is that the electric decision is looking more interesting with time.”

One of the main reasons why Jaguar is giving an all-electric F-Type due consideration has been the success of the I-Pace. The EV powertrain technology, such as batteries, is also advancing rapidly, thus making all-electric vehicles far more feasible than ever – for daily usage as well as performance.

"The performance capabilities of an electric car are not an issue,” Callum added. "The kick from an electric car is quite beguiling, and if you adapt your mindset to enjoying that – driving slower into corners but getting the thump when you hit the throttle earlier – it’s every bit as enjoyable as a V8-engined car in many respects. Range is also becoming less of an issue as the necessary recharging infrastructure is quickly getting into place.”

Callum also reiterated that Jaguar will always do sports cars as well as sedans despite market downturns.
Right now, a significant number of consumers want crossovers but trends change. Electrifying the next F-Type would also allow Jaguar to bring to market a serious EV sports car before its Porsche rival will. An all-electric 911 has yet to be officially confirmed, and even when it does it won't happen with the just launched 992 generation. A hybrid 911, possibly due in 2023, will appear first.

Callum said that a final decision will happen very soon regarding the F-Type’s powertrain future, but given all of the recent technological advances, positive response to the I-Pace, and a growing acceptance of EVs in general, don’t be surprised to see Jaguar make a bold move.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

If JLR can pull off serious electric sports car, I would buy one. However, I don't see them solving a problem of battery overheating. The end product needs to last at least 1 hour of fast lapping between charges, not degrade performance at low charge levels, and not overheat and go into limp mode within a few minutes of 10/10 driving.

What they will likely deliver is EV car in F-type shell, completely incapable of any kind of performance outside of short burst of acceleration while fully charged. That, I won't buy.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 531 Likes on 347 Posts

While I don't consider track time to be a major consideration, spirited driving in the foothills is. From my experience, while driving up hills and charging out of corners, electric range can easily drop to a third of advertised and very likely worse. A 50 mile drive on backroads could completely deplete the battery and then if the chargers are already in use, you're SOL. I have found that the number of plug in cars is increasing much faster than chargers and the new crop of drivers do not adhere to the chivalry of early adopters. Plug in Hybrid owners are using charging stations as up front reserved parking and many EV owners are leaving their cars plugged in long past being topped off. Even in the best case scenario, if you went on a drive with two other EVs, the likelihood of having 3 fast chargers open is slim to none.

Old 04-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts

JLR's other problem is the supply of a V8 engine. How much longer will they still have the current 5.0L engine available to use? Will a BMW V8 be available at a reasonable cost to JLR? Will consumers accept a non-Jag engine (from any other manufacturer) in a Jag? Will the current 5.0L still be adaptable enough to meet the next round of ever-more stringent emissions requirements?

Old 04-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
JLR's other problem is the supply of a V8 engine. How much longer will they still have the current 5.0L engine available to use? Will a BMW V8 be available at a reasonable cost to JLR? Will consumers accept a non-Jag engine (from any other manufacturer) in a Jag? Will the current 5.0L still be adaptable enough to meet the next round of ever-more stringent emissions requirements?
Isn't the current engine a non-Jag engine?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
Isn't the current engine a non-Jag engine?
NO. The current engines used by Jaguar were designed/engineered by Jaguar. They were built at a designated facility (that is, designated to build the Jaguar engines) at a factory owned by Ford (Bridgend). Ford products do not use these engines.
And the X-Type was not a Mondeo in drag (just trying to save time and energy here).
The industry-wide practice of parts sharing does apply in some components. If you think this is not the case, you'd be quite surprised if you tore a Bentley down to its individual parts...

The following users liked this post:
Pauluucho (07-03-2023)
Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky fuze
jaguars problem is that they do something and stick with it at least 5 years with no changes. Look at the V6 F-type. No changes in performance, no refinement.

The XJ. Exact same interior since 2010, same exterior.
How do they think that will lead to new buyers..

Old 04-02-2019, 12:47 AM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by vika01
jaguars problem is that they do something and stick with it at least 5 years with no changes. Look at the V6 F-type. No changes in performance, no refinement.

The XJ. Exact same interior since 2010, same exterior.
How do they think that will lead to new buyers..
That's the problem of consumers having a short attention span. Why mess with success simply for the sake of change? I say that car manufacturers in general should focus on ironing out any problem areas a model has rather than rush to change.

sov211 (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 01:09 AM
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

It would be a shame if that new I6 only gets used in a Range Rover Sport. I know electric is the future, but I’ll take an ICE while I can.

Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 AM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AJ16er
That's the problem of consumers having a short attention span. Why mess with success simply for the sake of change? I say that car manufacturers in general should focus on ironing out any problem areas a model has rather than rush to change.
I disagree a bit. If a 2013 model year looks exactly the same and has the exact same tech as a 2016 model yeae why would you buy the 2016 car when you can save 50%? That’s why the sales are dropping.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by eeeeek
While I don't consider track time to be a major consideration, spirited driving in the foothills is. From my experience, while driving up hills and charging out of corners, electric range can easily drop to a third of advertised and very likely worse. A 50 mile drive on backroads could completely deplete the battery and then if the chargers are already in use, you're SOL. I have found that the number of plug in cars is increasing much faster than chargers and the new crop of drivers do not adhere to the chivalry of early adopters. Plug in Hybrid owners are using charging stations as up front reserved parking and many EV owners are leaving their cars plugged in long past being topped off. Even in the best case scenario, if you went on a drive with two other EVs, the likelihood of having 3 fast chargers open is slim to none.
All the above is easily avoided with a larger battery in the order of 180-200 Kw. This is where tesla is going with their roadster. As for charging, As an owner of an EV, I have not seen cars waiting for charger space and I always look when I am traveling and most times all the charger spaces are empty. As for cars just plugged in, most charger companies charge a per minute idle fee which is more than the charging rate.

Electrify America DC fast charging stations display clear, up-front pricing. Electrify America charging will include the following elements: $1.00 session fee + per minute charging cost + idle fee of $0.40/minute (if applicable). Our introductory charging cost pricing is $0.30 to $0.35 per minute of charging.

Last edited by zach05855; 04-02-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:25 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by sov211
... you'd be quite surprised if you tore a Bentley down to its individual parts...
Not surprised, it's only a very expensive Skoda.

Pauluucho (07-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 329 Likes on 256 Posts

My guess is that an electric SUV will be a much better seller than an electric sportscar - I know I have zero interest in one. ....I could see myself buying a hybrid though.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 04-02-2019, 11:31 AM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,384 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by DPelletier
My guess is that an electric SUV will be a much better seller than an electric sportscar - I know I have zero interest in one. ....I could see myself buying a hybrid though.
I agree an electric SUV will sell more than the sportscar, lots of people with no taste out there! I have zero interest in SUVs, my F-Type is a perfect family car - for my family.

Old 04-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Banned
Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

I may be wrong obviously when trying to forecast the future, I would be surprised if the next F type is EV.

Would be less surprised if it's and ICE / EV hybrid as this can give the range and performance.

Battery technology will no doubt improve in time, currently batteries can't come even close to matching the energy density of a tank of petrol.
For those owners for whom range isn't an issue and particularly those that live in urban areas EV are now an important albeit growing niche solution.

For those living outside USA charging infrastructure is growing but still very sparse compared to fuel stations, without even mentioning the myriad incompatible connector / payment methods.

Given many owners of F Type on this forum express surprise and dismay that our F Types (an all aluminium car) weighs 1770Kg I wonder how much demand for an entirely electric sports car there will be given the significant weight of current battery technology

Old 04-02-2019, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

At my old work there were 9 EV spots, all of which were free. When I first started using the EV spots, there were 2 EVs. Over the years, this number grew to 14 (EVs and PIHs). First ones in got the spot. They started a policy of 4 hours max charging, but some people would ignore that and it was rarely enforced. Then, some more Plug in Hybrids showed up and they would park next to an actively charging car and actually unplug them to plug themselves in.

At my current work there are 2 spots and at least 10 cars. I have gotten the spot once in 2 years. These spots are also free of charge.

At the Sacramento Airport, there are 5 sports in the long term parking. I have never gotten one. The last time I was there, 4 of the spots were taken by Plug in Hybrids and the 5th was an older Rav4 that wasn't even plugged in, due to it using a different plug. Hourly parking has 18 spots. I have gotten 1 of them once.

At AT&T park, there are 5 spots. I have never gotten one.

While traveling north, I stopped in a mini mall to use the DC fast charger. There was already a car plugged in. I left after 15 minutes to find another one that was at a nearby Raley's. There was a Dodge RAM parked in the spot. He came out about ten minutes later and left, finally giving me a place to charge.

I could go on. At the garage in Old Sacramento, there are six spots. All were taken and in three of them, the qualified cars that were there were not even plugged in. They were just using them as up close, free parking. I see a similar behavior at malls.

It got to the point where I could not count of spots being able at end of range destinations. I would never risk driving to a Giant's game, which was within my range, because I could not count on getting a charge in a timely fashion to make it home. I got back from the airport with 3 miles of range remaining...driving 55 in the slow lane...

stirlingsilver (07-03-2023)
Old 04-02-2019, 11:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,135 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Well said. The refusal to to constantly reinvent the proverbial wheel has been one of the major attractions of Jaguars since the 1930's...and it has also worked for Porsche, whose designer must be well past his sell-by date.
A perfect example of Jaguar's competence in this regard is the beautiful Mark 2 design of 1959-68, or the Series III XJ of 1979-1992...something that is truly, elegantly beautiful is beautiful forever. And the current F-Type, particularly in coupe form and the earlier XK 2007-2015, again in coupe form, will be future classics for the same reason. Well engineered, well built, beautifully designed.

The Mark 2 (1966, Pale Primrose):

The Series III XJ (1992 V12 Vanden Plas, Black Cherry):

the XK (2007, British Racing Green)

The F-Type (2015, British Racing Green Xirallic):

Every one of them the most beautiful of its class at the time, and beautiful still.

Last edited by sov211; 04-02-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:08 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

@sov211 Couldn't agree more. I was disappointed when they reinvented the XJ for the x351 generation. That's after the x350 lost the proper low slung look that defined the XJ for six generations. This is what the car had the potential to be:

Next generation? One can only hope.

Old 04-02-2019, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,140 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
I agree an electric SUV will sell more than the sportscar, lots of people with no taste out there!
Actually, this is much more complex topic. It dawned on me that people migrated to SUVs just around time when everyone stopped producing large sedans/boats. I think most people in US want a cushy ride and a highway cruiser. Once auto manufacturers started chase "sport sedan" to match BMWs and so on, they lost core demographic to SUVs.

Old 04-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,637 Likes on 3,359 Posts

@sov211
Next generation? One can only hope.
I could be tempted by this as my first ever 4 door in 50 years of driving.

Quick Reply: All-Electric Jaguar F-Type Decision Imminent